Recently Diagnosed

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have recently beein diagnosed with costochondritis and am wondering if my symptoms are to be expected.  I have pain in my back that radiates into my arms, some times I have pain in my ribs as well as my abodomen.  My pain is actually a burning sensation at times.  I've had a chest xray, ultra sound, Thoratic Xray and most recently a CT of my chest , abdomen, and rib cage.  Everything came back normal.  these symptoms are very scary at times and I relly thing the doctors have not idea= and are not very sympathetic.  Also, is this something I am going to have to live with forever, or will it eventually go away.  I've read that it will eventually go away, but from what I'm reading here, this is not true?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laney02540,

It's an awful disease and I agree no one seems to take you seriously, things like "get on with it" "take pain killers" "rest up" are all used. None of which work.

I too have had all the scans blood tests and all came back normal. 

I think you have to bare in mind that, if anything were seriously wrong, it would show up. The critical things don't go missed or under the radar.

My symptoms are forever changing, but I have never been ill or had flu or anything other than these pains.

I've ahd mine fro around 6 months now and honestly it's been so long since I was normal I have forgotten what it feels like. I get moments during the day where I feel normal, but then something will crop up and will bring me back down.

Just try to remember that if all the major health warnings have been checked and come back clear then its nothing seriously wrong.

Hope this helps in some way

• Posted

Thanks for your response.  This is pretty bad, but I keep telling myself that at leasts its not life threatening.  I am still trying to find a compassionate doctor who can help me.
  • Posted

Some people have it longer than others. I for one have had mine for over two years. A couple things to try that have have helped many-get your vitamin D checked via blood test, if you're low they will give you a prescription and many times it erased the costo. And take magnesium supplements. If it persists after these, look into chiropractor and accupuncture.
  • Posted

Feel sorry for you. I have this condition too I have recently been put in Gabapentin not much change yet although it is early days. This condition really has me thinking I'm having s heart attack at times its that bad 😞
  • Posted

I am a 70 yr old female. My Doc thought I had heart trouble - did the echogram, stress test, etc.  Everything came back clear. As my Doc was voted best young doctor in Florida, I trust him.  He diagnosed me with

Teitz Syndrome costochondritis

• Posted

sorry - I didn't get to finish my email.  He recommended 2000 mg of the pill form of Termaric. It has helped!  What Teitz C. is - it's arthritis that has set into your ribs, not letting your rib cage move properly. Thus, I have trouble breathing, I can't seem to take a deep breath; I am short of breath all the time.  It can go away, but sometimes it does not.  My right arm and neck hurts. Read up on Teitz Syndrome. That is what my doc calls it.  It is hard to diagnose became it is rare, bing one of the NORD illnesses. I am blessed to have a wonderful doctor who would not give up.  And yes, the cardiologist thought I was crazy and a whiner.  Ask your doc to mash on you in certain places around your ribcage, under your breasts.  It makes you chest in your heart area hurt all the way around to your back.  Good luck!!
  • Posted

I wish I knew!! I've had it for over 2 years. Some days it's not bad others it's hell. Still trying to work through it! Trying pain management doc next.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.