Recently diagnosed and have a goitre.....

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi all,  have been borderline overactive for about 8 years, 33 yr old female, about 2 months ago my bloods went haywire (as the doc called it) and I had all the typical symptoms of overactive, I started carbamizole 4.5wks ago and I now have swelling in my neck (goitre) why would this happen now and not 2 months ago?? Did this happen to anyone?? And will it go down or am I stuck with this?? Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Emily, it happened to me, too. I was on methimazole and the goitre appeared after I started treatment. My blood tests were all over the place as well. My ultrasound showed enlargement- of course!! It did go down on its own eventually, so I hope yours does. Be brave and remain strong. I know how hard it is- to this day I feel as if I suddenly woke up in a stranger's body and a nutty one at that. Take care.
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply. I know how you feel and its not a nice feeling. I am due to get an ultrasound soon, hopefully in the next few weeks to see what is going on. I really hope it gets smaller with the meds as I don't want to go down the road or RAI or operation. It takes time I know, so being very patient. Thanks again x
  • Posted

In 1993 when I was originally diagnosed with hyperthyroidism I had a goitre and was told I had to have surgery. I had the surgery and the goitre went. I don't know if treatments have changed in the last 22 years and this is no longer the case.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.