Recently diagnosed.... Symptoms

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I know hypertension is classed as a silent killer however I was wondering whether anybody out there has had symptoms?

I have been feeling quite dizzy and off balance like a woozy head. I'm hoping my meds will work soon and my head will clear. I've been put on ramipril but had to increase them as my reading is still high.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I had no symptoms whatsoever. Was a huge shock when suddenly, out of the blue .. my annual 'Well Woman' check-up revealed by bp was high-ish ..

Took the meds, and now it's all nice an normal again.

• Posted

I had no symptoms other than loads of headaches which I put down to work related stress, then one day I turned quick in my off ice at work and went down with a thud, for a few weeks after starting on tablet I couldn't watch anything moving fast without going light headed but that passed once my blood pressure started to come under control. That was 24 years ago and what seems like a million and one tablets. Just going off subject slightly how you getting on with the Ramipril tablets ? No sign of the Ramipril cough yet?

• Posted

fuseman...not everyone develops the ACE Inhibitor cough.. Rampiril is an ACE Ihibitor as you might know. Approx 1 in 4 people develop the cough. I was on Coversyl & never developed the cough, while 3 of my friends developed the cough almost straight away & had to come off that med. 

Some people develop a cough while taking an ARB such as Valsartan, Losartan, Avapro..but it's not nearly as common as with an ACE.

• Posted

Ive been getting on Ok with them. Not noticed any side effects and no cough either.
  • Posted

Hello alison81137. 

Some people do have symptoms but a lot of people don't. A person can be feeling absolutely fine, yet be plagued with hypertension. 

You didn't say how long you've been on the meds, but you did say the dosage had been increased. How long since the increase???? Did the Dr. prescribe the Rampiril containing a diuretic, or a diuretic on its own?? 

Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi mike thanks for the reply. I was started on ramipril about 10 weeks ago.

Firstly on 2.5,mg increased to 5 mg and that was increased to 10 mg 2 weeks ago as my blood pressure was still reading 162/84.

Ive only been prescribed the ramipril alone. I will be going bck for a check up in the next few weeks.

I was just wondering whether its normal for a person to feel dizzy with high blood pressure.... Ive had it for months before the meds.

• Posted

I think usually there are no symptoms unless it is very high. Mine was 163/90 at diagnosis and at first I decided to improve my lifestyle, walking, cutting out alcohol and reducing my weight. I wasn't that overweight and was certainly active but I also have osteoarthritis in my knee and didn't want that to compromise my life so decided exercise was the answer. All that didn't unfortunatley have much effect on the BP so I did go onto medication. Initially Ramipril 2.5 then that was raised to 5 mg after a month and the dreaded cough started. I was changed to Losartan at an equivalent dose and now everthing is under control.

• Posted

alison81137...yes you can feel dizzy. Actually, there are a lot of sensations that can be felt,BUT you said this was going on prior to meds. It's possible you could have vertigo. Be sure to ask your doctor about this. 

• Posted

Hi Alison, I was the same, experiencing dizziness. I'm also on Ramipril as well, 5mg. 

• Posted

Gillian would you mind me asking what your blood pressure was please?
    • Posted

Hi Alison, the highest systolic reading I had was 180, and the highest diastolic reading was 127. But before Ramipril tablets, my blood pressure would normally be between 145-160 systolic, the diastolic reading normally being the big problem as it was normally never under 95, quite often 105. It's not perfect by a long way on the tabs, but better than it was. I suppose I better mention about the nasty cough I've had since starting Ramipril, can't get rid of it and I nearly chocked one night as I couldn't stop coughing for a while.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.