Recently diagnosed with Blepharitis

Posted , 8 users are following.

Although I have had symptoms on and off for the past year, I have only recently been diagnosed with Blepharitis. So glad I found this forum!

Can anyone suggest a course of action for the following symptoms please?

* Sticky eye discharge in morning

* Stinging tears that crust, particularly when wearing eye makeup. (In my line of work, I must wear makeup, so no makeup is unfortunately not an option...)

From what I am reading, I will try Omega 3, warm compresses and Wet Ones.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi, i used wet wipes and my eyes improved for a while then I seemed to react to the wet wipes as they are very strong so I changed to ord facial wipes and my eyes returned to their previous improvement. Lately I've been using tea tree wipes from Sainsbury's and my eyelids are very comfortable. Ultimate hygiene has been the key for me and observing daily what is happening with my eyes and analysing the cause of and eyelid twitching or irritation. The twitching on the edge of my eyelids is caused by a build up of oil from the glands which appear as tiny lumps at the base of some eye lashes. I then know to pay extra attention to the heat treatment and wiping the eyelashes firmly afterwards which squeezes out the tiny drops of cloudy oil. I'm affected by white light particularly but have been helped by an antiglare coating on my glasses, so concerts, theatres, shops and home lighting isn't so uncomfortable. I still wear my Polaroid sun glasses occasionally. The sensitivity is indiscriminate and unpredictable but I'm now on top of it. I take 6000mgs of omega 3  per day and this helps with the oil flow and inflammation. If I reduce the dose my eyes start twitching within three days.

I feel good today as I've showered, hair wash, blow dry, eye treatment and light makeup in less than an hour...I'm off to an art class and lunching out afterwards. Life is good.....I just have to get out of bed early enough to allow time to do it all comfortably. Lol

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply and for your tips - much appreciated!
    • Posted

Pamela I'm so impressed with your routine and it makes me feel so hopeful!!! I'm pretty new to this so I'm just wondering where u get the tea tree wipes ( I live in the US ) as well as ord facial wipes which I have never heard of . Thanks for sharing! U just made my morning !😎

• Posted

Aw, that's nice to know, thanks. I buy the tea tree wipes from a local Sainsbury's supermarket in the UK. Perhaps google suppliers in US and see what comes up. Alternatively I guess you can dilute a few drops of tea tree oil in a small amount of boiled water and bathe your eyes with it. Separate cotton wool balls for each eye. Hope you find some tea tree wipes in the US though. Or order them in bulk from UK. GOOD LUCK X

• Posted

Hi Kerrieg

sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Im glad you joined the forum as Id be optimistic it will help. People are generous at sharing their experiences and things that have helped them. Im fighting this battle since last April and I am exasperated as my lower lids have been destroyed by demodox mites. Im using cliradex wipes since last Oct and following a strict cleaning regime. Also taking flaxi capsules plus Omega 7 Seabucthorn oil. Recently Ive added Lagad Lacrima which I think have made an additional improvement. They are supposed to promotote making tears which alleviate the severe dryness. Thankfully ive gone from chronic dry eye and drops every half hour to drops 2 or 3 times a day but its the physical appearance of my eyelids and lashes that upset me a lot.. Im still remaining hopeful cos if we give up hope we have nothing so hopefully  some item or product will come out that could help my lower eyelids and lashes. I miss my eye makeup however on the rare occasion I put some mascara on very carefully. I agree with Pamela, the cleaning regime combined with taking your supplements are vital.

Keep in touch and hopefully we can all help each other...

• Posted

yes,i have to wear makeup as well,i learned to stay away from eyeliners and mascara and the color black. I learned on here from a nice girl who said she just uses shadow as her liner and puts it on the top of lid,it works! good luck winkwindow.post_1483966490181_3 = function(win,msg){

win.postMessage(msg,"*"wink;

}window.post_1483966495820_17 = function(win,msg){

win.postMessage(msg,"*"wink;

}

• Posted

I am quitting my job due to my appearance.  As a flight attendant people think I have a contagious disease.  I may have to try disability because I can't wear makeup and I look like a zombie.

• Posted

I know some flight attendants are heavily made up but I've seen some very natural looking attendants too. Try cream eye shadow, no liner and mascara, not waterproof,  on outer half of eye lashes only. Removing it is important as you know and wearing it every day makes it hard not to have minute particles left behind. I'm avoiding liners of any sort as even if I wear it once I find minute particles of it on wet wipes days later,

your passengers may may not be as worried by how your eyes look as you may think. Would tinted glasses in a wacky style help you ?

only you knows what will work for you. Don't give up your job unless the airline forces you to. Jobs are hard to come by. Good luck whatever you decide to do x

• Posted

My case is so severe I cannot wear any makeup.  Eye shadow would cause a severe blow up.  I even gave up on a light tinted moisturier because the skin is so dry and crinkled and caked yet it is hard to keep moisture on ski without a rash.  Tinted glasses maybe an idea. Thanks.  My job is not understanding to my conditions.
    • Posted

I had total ear block in both ears and I was in great pain and could not fly.  My company harrassed me for months over it.
    • Posted

I also take fexafenadine daily, which is a strong antihistamine. So sorry for your suffering. It took me 18months to get my bleph under control. When it was bad I felt I had 300,000insects crawling at the base of my eyelashes, my eyes were red rimmed, swollen like a frog, itched like mad and I had blurred vision. I've come a long way I know. I hope you manage to sort out an effective routine and treatment for yourself. In time. Try not to despair. You have to have hope x

• Posted

Have you tried golden eye drops by Bausch and Lomb for conjunctivitis, or the ointment. You may have

An allergy in which case study Eyelergy drops

• Posted

Sorry typos above, I mean try Eyelergy drops
    • Posted

Hi. Thanks for your reply. No I haven't, but will look into it. Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.