Recently diagnosed with hiatus hernia & stomach ulcer

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm looking for advice on behalf of my partner - he was hospitalised for a few days about 3 weeks ago due to severe vomiting and stomach pain. He had an endoscopy and was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia, stomach ulcer and oesophagitis.  He was tested for h pylori but apparently it was negative. 

Since this time he's been off work and in substantial pain and we're at a loss what to do!  He was originally prescribed omeprazole (about 40mg a day) but switched to lanzoprazole last week as the former didn't seem to be working. He also has gaviscon after eating but painkillers don't touch the sides.

He has barely eaten for a few weeks now, the most he eats is maybe a banana, bread and some pasta, and he has lost lots of weight - he won't eat much as he says he is in too much pain and discomfort.  He is still experiencing stomach pain throughout the day and lots of burping.  Is it just going to take more time for everything to heal up or is there anything else he could/should be doing?  He is not eating anything spicy or acidic and no alcohol, just pretty plain food so nothing should be aggravating it.  Weirdly he often wakes up feeling OK but gets more pain after he has taken his medication, and sometimes also gets worse in the evenings after taking his second dose... 

It's getting very frustrating and upsetting now as nothing seems to be improving!  Any advice or suggestions most welcome.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I would check with his doctor about his medicine.  He could be having an adverse reaction.
  • Posted

It could be although he's already changed medication once!

He seems to be having the main trouble in the mornings.  He is taking lanzoprazole twice a day (morning and night) and can't take any Gaviscon for 2 hours afterwards.  Does anyone have any advice for managing the morning pain?  At the moment he wakes up, eats and takes his medication, and then has a mid morning snack with some Gaviscon and tends to feel better for the rest of the day but is in pain for those couple of hours.

• Posted

Sorry Claire - only just seen your posting.

As a long sufferer with Duodenal Ulcers I am sorry to learn of your husband's problem.

I take it your your husband is not smoking ? Ulcers will not heal if he is.

Although H. pylori is the main cause for stomach ulcers, there are other reasons for them.

I have tried most of the PPIs but have found Cimetidine to be the most effective for me.

The problem with PPIs is that they take time to work through the system.

And yet it is extremely important to stop acid damage to the ulcer - and the resultant pain - quickly.

I woud expect that damage to ocur on an empty stomach as soon as he wakes up but it seems probable that he is still benefitting from the effects of the previous night's PPI.

I have heard all the stuff about not taking antacids at the same time as PPIs.

But over many years I have found the following to be very effective. Nip any sign of pain in the bud by chewing quickly 2 or 3 - 500mgm Calcium Carbonate tablets. (If you are in the UK. Cheap from Boots - own make).

This quickly reduces acid concentration and its damage.

Glasses of milk are also helpful.

As eating also reduces the concentration of stomach acids I cannot understand why he is taking Gaviscon post meals. This is just the time he needs the acid for digestion.

But I cannot emphasize enough - never have pain without stopping it with Calcium Carbonate.

Of course the poor chap has a double dose with his hiatus hernia and consequent acid reflux in the oesophagus.

You do not indicate his age. But surely if he is comparatively young, he shouldn't live with this for the rest of his life - and acid reflux can be dangerous to long term health. It is not a very pleasant operation - but - ???

Hope the comments are helpful - unfortunately from long and unpleasant experience.

• Posted

Hi Claire

I forgot to mention.

Because of my own digestive problems I have been reading with interested the huge recent research into the benefits to health of having the right baterial combinations in the intestinal tract.

Unlike your husband I have an H pylori problem.

But, taking the research to heart,I have been taking a daily dose of probiotics (Actimel and the like) as well as a decent quantity of live Yoghurt in the morning.

I'm very surprised at the beneficial results in terms of stomach pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.