Recently diagnosed with PSVT

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with psvt 2 weeks ago. I was sitting down playing with my phone when I noticed my heart racing. I took off my jacket and begn to walk outside trying to take deep breaths in but couldnt so I panicked. Called 911, my hr was 150. I thought it was a panic attack but it wasnt. The doctor said it was psvt and to follow up with my doctor right away. Since then ive had 3 episodes. My last one was the scariest though, my hr went up to 130 but then my face went numb, my throat hot and I had burning in my chest. I panicked and called the 24/7 nurse hotline and they pretty much said call 911 you're having a stroke. Of course min later the ambulance arrives and im feeling fine. They took me to the hospital, same doctor, seemed kind of irritated. After all the tests everything looked fine. Saw my doctor whose referred me to a cardiologist. My appointment is in 2 weeks. I have a 5 year old and im scared to go anywhere with him in fear that ill have an episode or worse. Last night I couldnt sleep my resting heart rate is pretty high which makes it hard to fall asleep. I keep thinking "what if I die next time?" Im even considering taking my money out of my bank lol. I know it sounds extreme and my symptoms arent as bad as others from wht ive read but I cant help it sometimes. Anyone out there with successful stories? Has anyone had symptoms/Psvt dissipate over time? 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Cheerios87, I am a 20 year old male with PSVT and I can tell you that PSVT is not a life threatening condition. Although the it may feel scary and uncomfortable when the attacks happen you can be rest assured that these attacks will eventually pass and you'll be just fine smile. As for the symptoms and attacks dissipating over time, I'm not too sure it would completely go away but if you watch your diet (no caffeine mainly) the attacks would happen less often. There is also a procedure(I forgot what it was called but they stick a tube in you I believe) that can ultimately stop any PSVT attacks in the future. I decided not to do it Bc it sounded freaky as heck and my attacks weren't as bad. Hope this helps!
    • Posted

Thank you. I really appreciate any feedback. I keep trying to tell myself that it's going to be fine. My attacks arent as bad also but my heart rate is always high which i think scares me the most. I try to get more rest now which helps with the anxiety and changed my diet. I haven't started medication and I don't want to unless things get worse and then maybe I'll consider the ablation procedure.
  • Posted

Hi Cheerios

Do not despair. I know what you are feeling, I really do. Im 74, and had svt since the age of 14. About 5 years ago, I had no choice but to have the procedure, called Ablatiion. It stopped the very fast heart rate, mine would run up to 180, but after the ablation, after having a large meal, it stilll will give me fits, but it resolves shorthly, and never above maybe 120. Anyway, good luck. Meds may improve your situation. If not question, your doc about the ablation procedure, if all else fails.

• Posted

Thank you charles62249, I really appreciate it. Im glad that it worked for you. I'm avoiding medication for now since my attacks arent as bad but it's my high heart rate that really bothers me. Im scared to move around too much and it doesn't help that I have a very energetic 5 yr old. 😇Hopefully I won't have to have an ablation (the procedure sounds so scary) but if the attacks worsen then I'll definitely consider it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.