Recently diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency

Posted , 81 users are following.

Hi I have recently been diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency after years of pain and tiredness. I have quite a long history but have had surgery twice on my right foot. The first time was a straght forward bunion op and the second one I am now wondering if was caused by Vit D Deficiency as I was in so much pain after first op I needed the 2/3/4 metatarsals cuttings and replacing into different positions.

I also have Carpel Tunnel in right hand and been told I need surgery on it due to muscle waste, inflamed tendons and slight loss of sensation.

There isn't a part of my body that doesn't hurt and I am a 36 year old female. I am self employed and a mum (which can be very challenging with all the pain and tiredness at times!).

I have been prescribed pre d3 20,000 iu 3 times a week.

It turns out that I had a blood test in 2011 that showed I was low on vit d then so I have spent the past week battling between my GP and hospital to try get the levels and find out who did the original test and find out why nothing was done years ago for me. I am starting to feel fobbed off as no one is giving me a clear answer. The hospital won't give me the answers and told me they have to be faxed to GP which I asked for and after waiting days for this and chasing up twice the GP rang today to tell me they have recent blood test result which showed vit D below 30 if that makes sense to anyone?

They weren't sent the 2011 results so have had to chase up again!

I am concerned after having pain for years that this may have done damage. How long does it take to see a difference on that doseage?

My main pains are in lower right back, back right rib, hips, feet, hands, neck. 

It would be great to hear from anyone else with vitamin D defiancy.

4 likes, 255 replies

255 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

I am 7 weeks into taking 10,000 units a day and feel no difference in pain or tiredness. GP told me it takes months to feel a difference. He refuses to prescribe anymore and told me to take 1000 a day.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that hope you feel better soon - do they have to monitor your D levels regularly? I am having them checked in 3 months.
  • Posted

Hi

I have recently been diagnosed with calcium and vitamin d deficiency and I have been prescribed Adcal d3 200 I.U And have to take 4 a day.

I have been having pins and needles in my arms and they are constantly aching!

I am yet to find out why I am deficient and what is causing the pins and needles in my arms.

I hope u get some answers soon

• Posted

Its frustrating isn't it! I have spent years knowing something is really wrong but although the drs are listening they are treating everything individually to treat rather than looking at overall. I have had pins and needles but its been in my hands (mainly the right one) due to the carpel tunnel. Have you asked for a conductive nerve test? Something I haven't had but been recommended to have.
    • Posted

Your doctor shouldn't have told you to take double the dose of Adcal - it is overdosing on calcium if you do that and it isn't good for you for all sorts of reasons. If you need more than the Adcal vit D (and it is a pathetically low dose at that) you need pure vit D supplements and if the level is really low you need the high dose ones only available on prescription. 

I've come across GPs doing this before - it's appalling.

• Posted

I am just horrified that the GP just doubled up the Ad Cal, particularly as the recommended dose is two a day, presumably for a reason. Mind you I have just had a blood test and my CRP has gone up from 5 to 8 and my GP has written on my notes "improved CRP"!! I despair. 
    • Posted

I have been referred for the conductive nerve test but can take up to six months to be seen. I get pins and needles in my arm and hand (left side) and an aching pain in the top of my arm x
    • Posted

What should the dose be please?

I thought I was taking too much as I went from taking two calcium chewable tablets a day to taking four of the Adcal x

• Posted

The correct dose for the Adcal or any of the various calcium/vit D supplements is 2 tablets a day - and tha is the right calcium dose. If you need more vit D than that gives, it should be added in vit D-only tablets. Which you can get at the chemist or Holland and Barratt.

As ptolemy says - despair is in order!

• Posted

I trust you did explain that CRP is meant to be lower not higher?
    • Posted

Thank you!

I'll get it checked in Tuesday when I have my next appointment.

Reading other comments I have no idea what CRP is! Nothing at all has been explained to me!

I'm low in calcium, vitamin d and b12!

Could these be related and any idea on what the cause could be? X

• Posted

I talked to her on the phone today, I think those nice young men in their clean white coats need to be called  .....  for me, haha! 
    • Posted

CRP is a protein in the blood which is raised if there is inflammation present somewhere in the body. So it is good when it is lower than when it is higher - so CRP going from 3 to 8 bis NOT an improving situation!

Your low levels could be related and could be due to an autoimmune disorder or a few other things - but I can't really say what. 

All the best for Tuesday!

• Posted

rhiannon231..I know the posts here are rather old, but I read that you were going for nerve conduction test becuase of pins/needles in your arm & hand. This certainly indicates a nerve problem...HOWEVER...a lot of things that give us pain are caused by something going on in the SPINE. If you have a narrowing of a neural foraminal opening, THAT can cause the nerve to be irritated, or even pinched. Just checking your arm isn't good enough, & I do hope your doctor sends you for an MRI of both your lumbar & cervical spine. This is how my problem was discovered. Good luck!

• Posted

Hello rhiannon231, I too have been having the pins and needles in my arms and feet. I was diagnosed with a vitamin d deficiency also. Did the alcal d3 200 help you? It's nice to know I'm not alone. I thought I was going crazy..

• Posted

This is really interesting as for the past two months I have been experiencing pins and needles and numbness in my arms but have been experiencing extreme exhaustion tiredness and pains all over my body for a long time and have just been diagnosed with a vit d level of 12 . I was wondering if you had heard of any connection with the pins and needles and vit d as my gp is sending me to neurologist as she said it isn't however a few people on here have mentioned the nerves being affected ?

• Posted

I have had vit d deficiency for years and also iron deficiency too. My doctor is testing me for celiacs disease as my vit d and iron have not increased after months of vitamins.
    • Posted

Keep us posted, Carlleton. Similar problem here. I managed to get my D up after 7+ months of high dose supplement, but after two years have now dropped back into the land of osteomalacia despite regular supplement. Not fun :-(
    • Posted

Hi Jaybelle.. just wondering whether the Dr was able to help you discover the reasons why your levels keep lowering inspite of your supplementing?

• Posted

He was no help. But I am overweight and probably need a much, much higher dose than that prescribed due to the supplement disappearing into my copious fat reserves! 
    • Posted

Hi Rhiannon231

I have just been diagnosed with vit d and b12 deficiency and have been searching internet.  pins and needles are symptom of vit b12 deficieny you should get this tested too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.