Recently had rezum procedure

Posted , 18 users are following.

I am a 55 year old. I had severe urinary retention. I recieved the rezum procedure 2 week ago. The foley was pulled after one week and I was unable urinate at all. Very painfull burning and bladder spasm. Yesterday I was filled with 180ml and voided 104 ml. The foley was left out and I was given a follow up  for today. I went home yesterday and everytime I tried to void the burning and the spasms brought me to my knees. I was only able to pulse short steams of urine. That night I was up every hour with the burning sensation to go, but I could only get short streams. I have another follow up in 10 days. My question anybody that had this procedure is how optimstic should I be to void normally or at least nough to have the foley permently. I should also add that I am taking flomax for the last week. Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Howard,

I’ve been following this blog for about 7 months and have heard a lot about cathing, drugs, and the various BPH procedures including PAE, Rezum, Urolift, TURP, Green Light Laser and HoLEP.  The following summarizes what I’ve read as best I can.

Bottom line:  drugs may work for a while (for me it was about 3 years), but they are not a long term solution and can also result in damage the bladder from constantly being over extended/full.  Some procedures seem to work for some but not all.  Worse yet, many have reported total incontinence after their surgical procedures.  It’s hard to tell if it was a botched job or not.

The real answer imho is surgery, specifically HoLEP.  I did the research on all the procedures (except PAE….had not heard of it), and chose HoLEP.  It is the best surgical procedure because; 1) less time in the hospital and a on catheter (less than 24 hours), 2) less bleeding, 3) very small chance of needing a repeat procedure, and 4) they remove prostate tissue (instead of burning or otherwise destroying it), so they can biopsy it for cancer.  I have heard no reports of anyone having HoLEP and needing a second procedure or experiencing incontinence or needing to continue cathing.  I’ve heard way too many horror stories on this blog about TURP & GL.  My uro explained that they both burn the tissue out, and therefore leave scar tissue.  That tends to shrink over time, and hence the need for a repeat procedure. With HoLEP, they cut the tissue away, grind it up with a ‘morcellator’, push it into the bladder, and then wash it out.

Yes, you the have retro ejac, but sex drive returns, and since I don’t plan to have any more children (age 68), it’s not a problem for me.  I was retaining close to 800ml, and my prostate was 85 grams, PSA 3.8.  After it was 46 grams, PSA 0.2.  I had my surgery in January, and after two to three months had no problems at all.  I did have leakage for 3 or 4 weeks.  Some in the UK report they were told to do Kegel exercises for a few months before surgery to avoid this.

Lastly, the experience & ability of the doc is critical, and often difficult to determine.  Hospital ratings for various specialties can be found in the US News & World Report evaluations.  Bios for docs may or may not be available.  For example, the Mayo Clinic was rated best in the nation, and they have the education and publications of their docs listed…… very helpful. Best of luck!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  A lot a food for thought. Glad you are doing well
  • Posted

Call your urologist and ask if you are allowed to take Phenazopyridine (Uristat).

Prescription strength is 200mg, but 100mg can be purchased over the counter.

Definitely takes care of burning and spasms

• Posted

I had trouble after Rezum too. It was close to 3 weeks before I could pee and twice that before it stopped being a problem. I had some moderate to severe buying that went away after about a month. Peridium will help symptomatically, but it sounds as though you have a urinary tract infection. Do a pee test at your urologist and find out. Most of the benefits happen in weeks 6 - 12. It will get better - also Myrbetriq may help short term
    • Posted

I know it was not much fun for you, but your reply is most encouraging. The first "fill and pull" I could not go at all. Second go around was a little better but I was retaining. My third is scheduled for Aug. 5th. Hope the extra time will be beneficial...Thanks

• Posted

Slow down ....If you can't void easily get a Foley back in..or self cath..

DO NOT tough it out in pain...!

The size (gms) of your prostate is a big factor in determining  the approach that should be explored.

Get relatively comfortable, even if the is foley back in .. 'then you will

have time to research your options.

Good Luck !!

• Posted

I would recommend learning to self-cath. immediately as it is much, much better than the foley (and more healthy).  It also gives you a chance to pee naturally in between catheterizations to see where you are.  It seems daunting at first but quckly becomes much easier.  Speedicath male compact works best for me.
  • Posted

You must do thorough research before you rush into anything. There are many procedures both old and new that are are not for everyone.

Ask your urologist what procedure he would choose if he had to personally undergo such an operation. If you cannot get a straight answer, seek help elswhere.

• Posted

Well I'll just put the obvious out there since I went through some unnecessary suffering post pae. You should be taking a NSAID pain reliever/anti inflammatory regularly first few days after.

• Posted

Thanks for all your replies. My first post I failed to mention that tha cath was put back in the day after my second fill and pull. It was kind of a relief because it was friday and if I had problem over the weekend that meant an ER visit. A  question to anybody that had REZUM. Right after a bowel movement I get bright red blood leakage from the head. My Dr. says it's norrmal. The ony thing is I did not specify the color of the blood. Red as opposed to old brown looking blood. Anyone have that?

• Posted

A little update to me rezum. Still cathed into my third week. Got up early this morning and my bag was full. When I turned on bathroom light I noticed it was full of blood. Tried to drain bag, but it was clotted up. Did not want chance not drain, I went to ER. There they determined I was draining. I did not need to be flushed. My white blood counts were up and they put me on CEFDINIR. My next followup is for the 5th. I have to see if I can get in there before that. In the mean time I am drinking a lot of water to flush the system.
  • Posted

Your healing and thats good.! Glad your not trying to

tough it out. After your cath is removed do not be afraid to

use self cath at home rather then going back to the ER.

Its not that hard ....I realize you know this ...just reminding.

Take your time and do not allow yourself to strain to void

and thing will gradually improve. Your Uro as well as

others on this site should be able to gauge your progress having

had this surgery.

Good Luck & Take it one day at a time

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.