Recently was tested positive for type 1 herpes. What kind of things should I expect and do from now?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I don't really know what to think. I was honestly hoping to just have something that would be curable. 3 hours ago I was thinking life wasn't worth living, but I realized I was being stupid. Any tips or advice and guidance would very much be appreciated

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Chin up! It's really not the end of the world. It is annoying that there's no cure but with diet, exercise and meds you can really limit the amount of outbreaks you have. I've only ever had one.

I know there's a massive stigma around genital herpes, but hsv1 is the virus that causes coldsores. Literally all you have is a genital coldsore! If you had it on your lip, nobody would care at all.

Just try to stay positive and remember that it is really common.

• Posted

The initial shock always causes negative feelings. I was depressed for a while. I'm still going through moments of sadness every now and again but I'm getting better. I was diagnosed with HSV-1 in October. This forum has really helped me, support of family/friends and learning more about it. It seems like the end of the world but the more you learn about it the less scary it may seem. It may not seem like it..but everything will be okay. Like bethan said it's just a coldsore(s) on your genital area. Wishing you the best!
  • Posted

Hi Hun there both right! Just think of this as a little hiccup, it can't kill you and you will find that majority of the population actually have either hsv type one or two.

I've only ever had one outbreak, keep up a healthy life style and stay stress free!

Keep smiling your still beautiful!

• Posted

I found out the same yesterday. I'm only just coming to terms with it, but hopefully things will improve. Just remember that you're still the same person, and think of how it will have a positive affect on you as opposed to a negative, as I am (trying)!

It may make you more picky with men, therefore more respectful for yourself. Controlling your diet will make you more healthy and support from those close to you will just bring you EVEN closer!

• Posted

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it. This forum has definitely helped me out in the little time I've discovered it. I have only told two family members so far so hopefully I can tell the rest soon
  • Posted

Does this mean I can't hug or touch anyone now? From what I understood I could as long as I wash my hands and be aware of not touching my outbreaks.
    • Posted

No not at all!! Soap and water kills the virus. As long as you don't rub the site of infection in people you're good to go! And even then, it's not overly likely they will catch it. Just be careful to wash your hands if you've touched the sores. Hand sanitiser does the job too.
    • Posted

Thank you very much! I thought I wouldn't be able to hold or help with my nephew ever again smile
    • Posted

No, you'll be absolutely fine. The virus can't really live on inanimate objects either (it's skin to skin contact spread) so keep your hands washed and you'll be fine!
  • Posted

Well first and for most, everything is going to be okay.. And that doesn't seem like it could possibly have an ounce of truth behind it, but it does. You have type 1 and If you could have a choice in which type you contract that would be the one to choose (obviously no one would want to have this but type 1 is really the one to have if you have it) because the outbreaks are generally not as severe as those of type two... They tend to be fewer and further between and the first outbreak is normally the worst. Just keep in mind this is not a death sentence and isn't the end all be all to your normal life.. Maybe fore a while until you get to feeling like yourself again, and you will... It does take time but I promise you will feel back to yourself. My only advice is to read, listen, and talk with others who also have HSV1. I personally have hsv 1 genitally. I have had my initial outbreak and that was October of last year and that was a nightmare to put it lightly. The second outbreak I had was a small patch of 6 maybe 7 tiny little blisters that were mainly only annoying because I knew they were there. They didn't cause much discomfort. I also think I brought that outbreak on myself from a medication I had taken. Anyways, just breathe. I promise you everything is going to be okay! You're in the right place with the right people for tons of support and also willing to share experiences and answer questions.i had endless questions when I was diagnosed. Take care and hold tight to the support groups they will really help you through the first few weeks.
    • Posted

Thank you very much for that. I just left work because I felt as though everyone was staring at me even though I have nothing on my face. Its just the pressure pushing in. Without everyone's help here, I would be way more depressed and just in a really bad spot. Thank you all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.