Recommeded dosage for acid reflux

Posted , 5 users are following.

My doctor has just taken me off sucralfate because ive been on it a year and it contains aluminium and my acid reflux has returned with a vengeance. I am also on 20mg omeprazole twice a day and 300mg Ranitidine once a day. What is the maximum dosage allowed on these 2 as he said he would tweak these if this happened but im scared im already on such a high dosage

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

20mg omeprazole is the normal low maintenance dose. 40mg is the normal high dose patients may be put on for a few weeks normally. It is possible to be on a higher does. I was on 80mg for a few years prior to my fundoplication which left me med free. (Our GI consultant says it's even been prescribed at 160mg in extreme cases.)

300 mg ranitidine is normal high dose. It is possible to have it at 600mg (I was on that, too for a while) but nit usual.

But it does require discussion with your doctor and monitoring. These are powerful drugs that should only be used at minimum effective dose.

• Posted

I was on two pills a day but it was still breaking through. I took OTC Zegerid and supplimented with Tumms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.