Recovery from bowel cancer.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with bowel cancer last year. I had chemo, radiation then surgery. I had a colostomy bag for 6 months then surgery to reattach my bowel. I'm finding every time I eat I have to go the toilet constantly sometimes up to 20 times. This is really starting to get me down. I'm scared to eat. Does it get better?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

enzo

Speak to your Colo-Rectal Nurse -she should be able to advise you in this respect.

She might recommend Loperamide-but wait till she advises you before taking it.

So sorry to hear of your predicament-it must be so frustrating-after all you've been through.

I had a re-section 2015 but didn't have to have a stoma-but did have toiletting problems and was recommended Loperamide-which helped-I wouldn't take  it without asking advice first.

All my good wishes

Susan

• Posted

I am sorry you are having this problem. I have heard of it several times. I had colon/rectal cancer also and knew from the start there was no

chance for re-attachment because my tumor was so low. I was on other

colon cancer sites and did hear of your problem. (I do know there is a

program to help with bowel training) I am in the US)

I will tell you about one I corosponded with. He tried everything, but

nothing allowed him a life away from his bathroom. He was really

devasted with this problem. Finally after about 2 years he went back

to surgery and got a permanant colostomy bag. At least now he has a

new normal life. You may want to speak more with your doctor about

your options.

• Posted

Hi Enzo, my treatment was similar to yours. My Ileostomy was not successful and was reversed after 5 weeks. 2 months later i had Chemo. My toilet frequency and urgency was killing me (not literally) 15 months on from my tumor removal i average 10 movements a day. Sometimes i pass lots and other times not much. Ofter during the night, sometimes Fecal incontinence. My wind can be terrible. Things are a little easier than one year ago but i'm told it's a result of surgery. The Surgeon expected it to calm down but it has not yet. I have been offered Loperamide but i don't want it, my fears of constipation and being Impacted are too great. I have a 'Just can't wait' card but have not used it yet. I know how the toilet dominates your life and hope thinngs improve for you. Best wishes. Sean.

• Posted

I know these posts are about a month old now but thought I would add my husband's experience that might encourage posters, although he still has some problems! He was diagnosed with bowel cancer nearly fourteen years ago, stage 3c with eleven out of eighteen lymph nodes positive for cancer. He had surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy but no colostomy bag. He had terrible problems with urgency for a couple of years until he was told to take caltrate when he was diagnosed with prostate cancer (yes, he has had his fair share!). We realised after a while that his urgency was far less and realised it was the caltrate. Unfortunately, he had to cut down on that when more recently, his calcium levels were too high! And his urgency has returned to some extent, some days. He does not eat out and, even though he goes out every day, he would not travel too far from home. He takes Loperimide if he has to but does not like the lingering effects. However, in spite of his advanced bowel cancer, he is alive and well! He is now seventy eight. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.