Recovery from Cellulitis

Posted , 11 users are following.

This is my 2nd experience with Cellulitis.  The first time I had it was 4 years ago and it seems I remember that it took a few weeks to clear up, even after several shots and 2 different antibiotics.  This time it was caused by a spider bite, which has long since healed, but after a shot and 10 days of antibiotics, my leg is still red, and slightly swollen. Also, some days it barely hurts at all, and other days it's excruciating.  It responded rather well to the antibiotics, and began improving within the first 8 hours, but I would think that the pain would be mostly gone.  I have a couple of sores, but no draining or bubbles.  Just red, taut skin.  Also it's been itching and the skin on my foot is peeling.  Am I still healing?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Where I had it they drew a line around the outside of it with a marker pen, that way you could tell if it was going scanner out getting worst.
  • Posted

lovelil68​:? 9 (always) state, I am not a doctor, just a recoverer.? It's hard to say if you are still healling.? My cellulitus took 3 months of on and off antibiotics.? I'd start a new antibiotic saw and felt?relief only for it to come back with vengence.? If you see the redness traveling, go back to the docs.? I also say if it's hot to the touch, it's still not gone and def not healing.? After my final 21 day dose of Cipra, I was still red, swollen and felt burning when walking.??I am left with?"stacis" - black toes/foot and feeling of walking on toes.? I was told this would go away, or not.? I began Diosmin, a vitamin for circulation.??A friend recommended it and?my doctor?ok'd it stating the reviews look hopeful.? I actually feel relief, but will never know if it's the Diosmin or nature. I wish you well.

• Posted

Jane, I hope you make a complete recovery, soon.  It is very frustrating. My circulation is good.  I can walk around fine.  That doesn't even hurt.  It's the having to sit with it propped up and not move that bugs me.  I constantly have to switch positions and when I'm home I use my heating pad a lot. Sitting down with it on the floor is when it hurts the worst, it seems and at  night.  My foot becomes very heavy and aches when I try to go to sleep.  When I wake up, it feels almost completely normal until I drive to work, then gravity gets me, riding in the car.  If I could just go to sleep for 3 days I swear it would be gone. 

• Posted

Hi,

Sorry you're going through this.

When I had it, it took around a month to go down completely (and I used a compression stocking which worked wonders for squeezing everything back together).

As long as the size is not increasing it may be healing.

It's important that the course of antibiotics removes ALL the infection, otherwise it will just get worse again. Keep your leg raised - especially at night (using a couple of pillows under your feet) to keep it higher than the heart.

Hope it all goes away soon for you. Will pray for you

• Posted

Thanks everyone, for your input.  I went to the er Wednesday and the Dr. drew blood.  She said the bloodwork looked fine and just felt that there was still some infection left.  She prescribed more antibiotics. which I began as soon as I got home.  I have seen no real improvement, yet, but when I wake up in the morning it looks the best, probably because I have stayed off my feet.  I don't have the luxury of taking massive amounts of time at work and I have had to be on my feet quite a bit. That is probably what is hampering my progress.  I am sitting with my leg propped high up on my desk, now, between customers, and more than I was before.  Today when I woke up the red was mostly gone, but during the course of the day, it is turning red again. It's not hot to the touch and Ibuprofen and my heating pad have handled the pain well.  I have noticed that walking around relieves the pressure, oddly enough.  I hope and pray that all of you still suffering, get some relief, as well. 

• Posted

I'm not a dr. I was bitten on the left eyebrow on Friday afternoon. Saturday morning left eyebrow and forehead swollen. I took benadryl and ibuprofen all day and night. Sunday morning it had spread across to right side, forhead & both eyes & nose swelling and red & painful. Morning morning it had spread across to both ears and across the top of my head. Went to the dr Monday morning, was put on Cephalexin 500 mg every 8 hrs.

It slowed the progress but didn't stop it.

Wednesday still no progress, went to emergency room and got Clindamycin iv drip after consulting with my dr again.

That was 5 hrs ago and I'm feeling better after that. Dr. put me on Clindamycin 300 mg 4 times a day for 10 days now.

I wish I would have gone to the Dr sooner but I didn't think it was serious.

Now that I have researched this I say if it doesn't clear up with the 1st antibiotic they try go back to try another one. I hope my story can help others.

• Posted

I'm sure your email will help someone just as the other emails helped me when I was in search of answers (and sympathy!)  In fact, if my (US) doctor reads your email he may learn something as he maintained the drug for over one month while treating me for misdiagnosed Athlete's Foot.  It's interesting that outside the US, blood tests are run.  Wondering why none were done, my doctor stated it wasn't going to tell us anything, but perhaps infection would have shown and I wouldn't have been prematurely removed from the drugs. I have never heard this on the face and can only imagine.  Good luck to you and speedy recovery...

?Jane

• Posted

Well everyone, about a month, ago, finally I was almost completely relieved of this evil condition.  I had absolutely 0 swelling or pain and my leg looked normal again.  I had one tiny red spot, the size of a quarter, left, and that was it.  Thought I was done.  WRONG! About 3 weeks ago, it came back with a vengeance and this time it was in both legs.  I went back to the er, told them my history and suggested that maybe they weren't treating it agressively enough, so this time he gave me a shot, and prescribed both Clindamyacin and Bactrim.  I took both antibiotics and it cleared up in the left leg (the original leg) right away, but it still in the right leg at varying degrees.  Some days it's barely swollen but still red.  It isn't hot to the touch, and it no longer requires pain medication.  Every now and then it feels taut, but other than that, it feels fine, but it is hideous to look at, and now it's starting to peel like the other leg did, about the time I made this orginal post.  I am thinking of going back to the Dr because I really want this stuff gone.  I just wore my shoes, for the first time in 3 weeks, again, yesterday.  

• Posted

I had a vacation in Hongkong, didn't know that when I left manila I had a UTI and a foreign object in my palm possible for a small tiny hole,I had an on and off flu when I reach Hongkong,thought I was just tired so I took an early rest and started an early out for a tour, both of my foot was aching in the afternoon and I have to go home early to take an early rest, 2nd day I'm good and went in Disneyland,at the end of the park,I felt my feet are tired and have to remove my shoes and rest my foot,at 6pm I found out that I can't able to walk and pressure my left foot,so I ask the park attendant to send me a wheelchair, was brought to the clinic and apply cold ice and spray, put a tight socks but still can't walk,took a cab and finally reach home with too much pain, 3 days I stayed in the hotel room applying gel and drinking tylenol due to high temp, but it didn't help,went back home after the 3 days and went straight to the Dr,after several test and monitoring, was found out with cellulities, 3 days injecting antibiotic and vitamin and on the 4th day requested to be released and continue medication at home, my left foot was swolen and reddish and it really hurts,started taking med on the 4th  day orally, now its my 7th day and I can walk but it hurts a little,my left foot is not swollen but my left leg from the ankle still has a little swelling,hope this my recovery continues and hope this cellulites will not comeback again,

• Posted

It’s me again,I recovered from cellulities that I had,strange but continues medication of antibiotics for two weeks and vitamin had resulted for a cure,but still felt that muscles not intact to do things I’m doin before,I’m doin the regular exercise and hope everything will turn out good in the end,so far,everything looks good 
  • Posted

Mine started with a spider bite, in the car. I scratched it, bad idea since I was stuck in traffic for the next 45 minutes. The next day I drove 900 miles home without rest, took me all day. Unfortunately It was much worse the next morning, very red and inflamed and the size of a quarter. I put a heating pad on it and it did come to a head somewhat. The next day when I went to the ER, it was lanced, packed outlined and 10 days of Bactrim DS twice daily for ten days. It was the size of a marble at this point, and excruciating. Came back the nest day to have the packing removed, and the Dr. FREAKED. Overnight I had chills and extreme fatigue, and it had blossomed from marble sized to the size of a dinner plate, and my wound was just gushing fluids. It was on my left side just underneath my heart, they admitted me straight away. Had an overnight stay with two rounds of IV antibiotics, Clindamycin that night and Vancomycin the following morning. Had another outline drawn and came to grips with what was happening, did some research. The Dr. took my bandage off before I was discharged and it left blisters! 3 weeks later and it is so much better, 90% of the redness is gone. I have a very small scab left but, it itches so intensely sometimes, a deep itch that I've never felt before. Also had terrible diarrhea AND hives from the antibiotics, on top of everything else! I'll have terrible scars from this, but I do feel fortunate. I just have the itch to deal with now. I hope you all get relief from this terrible malady, it really stinks.

• Posted

Hi James,

Really sorry to hear about that ordeal. Glad to hear it's all on the mend.

Best of luck - will pray for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.