Recovery from vein surgery... slow and painful

Posted , 101 users are following.

I've never been on a forum before, but thought it might be good to get other's experiences on vein surgery. Unfortunately both my parents had bad vericose veins and both had them stripped (both legs). Luckily for me, it wasn't until I had my son 14 yrs ago that mine started becoming a problem. Only on one leg and not nearly as unsightly as my parents had. However, still problematic, and ugly. I had my surgery in June 08, again fortunately for me, the surgeon is labelled as one of the best. However, 5 months on, I have found recovery to be very painful and slow. Unlike the last thread I read, I was not able to walk properly without pain and without wanting to faint until 3 weeks later. My appetite decreased significant, and panadol did not manage the pain well. I was bed ridden and nauseas, with postural hypertension because of lowering of blood pressure. Showering, my only 'feel good', was terribly traumatic. I passed out hitting my head on my stone tile flooring, still experiencing pain from possible cheak fracture, which my GP didn't diagnose properly or treat. Pain was unbearable for some time. I could not drive, am a mother recently separated with a huge mortgage and was unable to work for 3 weeks. This time unpaid. The stockings were distressing, (I had no support or home help) swelling and bruising horrendous. It wasn't until I saw my physio some 2 months later, she encouraged massage of incision points and exercise to stop scar tissue. Again, 5 months on, I feel deep tissue, nerve pain when I try to exercise. I feel the cold much more, and foot still turns purple at times. I am frustrated that I am unable to use my gym membership and at times feel depressed about the lenghth of recovery. This has been a long journey. I was hoping to learn how to surf with my boyfriend at New Years. But, I think I'll be saving that til 2010. Bumma sad

6 likes, 147 replies

147 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had vein ligation and stripping on both legs done 13 days ago and am still struggling. I am still so bruised, especially inner thigh and struggle to walk. Standing still actually makes me want to vomit. So relieved to hear some stories of others having similar recovery......everything I found on the net tells you you'll be recovered after 2 weeks!! My doctor told me I would be able to get back to running after 2 weeks so it has been really upsetting not to be where I thought I would.

Thanks for posting your stories, it's made me feel a little less hopeless.

• Posted

Hi,

I had my operation on the 27th March 2012. Varicose veins stripped from my right leg. The day prior to my op, I took 2 x Arnica (30c montana) tablets every four hours, then again every two hours after the op. for 2 days. also I have been massaging Arnica cream twice daily (around, not on the affected areas) I have no needed any painkillers and have had no bleeding, minimal swelling and bruising. Today, (4/4/2012) I removed all band-aids to give my cuts air to help with healing process. I'm walking around unaided by compression stockings and have continued to elevate my leg as much as possible. It is slightly uncomfortable when I initally get up (I'm guessing its caused from the blood flowing down) but it does ease of in a short time, once my circulation gets going. I do have questions I hope someone can help me with. 1. Is there a recommended amount of time I should be wearing the compression stocking, and why? 2. I have restricted movement in my calf muscle, it this normal? I'm slow and limping. All the best to all have had to go through this, I hope what I have shared helps soomebody.

• Posted

Hello

It's nice to know you got recovered soon. My mother underwent a surgery today and she says it's very painful and she has burning sensation. She got the surgery done for both the legs together. She's taking pain killers now. What do you suggest for early recovery?

And how long will the pain stay?

• Posted

On October 21, 2016 (13 days ago) I had vein stripping surgery using Trivex (transilluminated phlebectomy) under general anesthesia. I only took pain pills the first day - no pain since then. It was of course sensitive to pressure but no problem with pain interrupting sleeping. I spent most of the first week either laying on my back with my leg elevated or walking (slowly) on my treadmill or outside. After removing the elastic wraps the 4th day as instructed, I wore the support knee highs even at night the first week and all day since then. I also followed instructions and began massaging and pressing firmly on th areas right from the first day and continue to do so to ease fluids out and break up lumps. Even now almost 2weeks later I still elevate often. Dizziness is still somewhat present as my body adjusts to having new pathways. This has been my experience I hope it helps others who are considering this ptocedure. One more piece of advice - the draining is a little messy and my bed linens got a bit blood stained.
  • Posted

I am scheduled for ligation (not stripping) surgery later this month - my right leg only - and after reading all of your posts I'm starting to feel very apprehensive about the recovery! My doctor has said that initial recovery will only be 1-2 days, full recovery (back to all activities - and I'm a personal trainer and a runner) within a week. Is this pie in the sky wishful thinking??? I have numerous races scheduled this summer and fall....
  • Posted

Hi, the surgery (on my right leg) I had, was ligation (the varicose vein at the top of my thigh was cut & separated, and another cut was made on my inner leg above my knee) and then (varicose vein) removed (stripped). plus smaller cuts on my lower leg.

I'm really happy I had the surgery. Recovery time was minimal. I gave myself a week to recover. I totally recommend using arnica tablets (30c montana) & Arnica cream. Keep stretching and warming your calf muscle, as I found it seemed to tighten, but in no way was painful. You'll be back running & training in no time. Just don't stress, you do need recovery time and time to heal. Scarring is minimal. I used rosehip oil after cuts healed and massaged it in twice a day, which helped break down the scar tissue. Scars are barely visible now.

The surgery will not affect future performance, if anything, it should enhance performance. As you know being a PT you need recovery time and rest for any injuries let alone surgery. Don't worry, your doctor is correct, the initial recovery is 1-2 days, make sure you rest. Good luck with your future races.

• Posted

Thank you for the feedback! I feel much better about this after reading your comments. I will make sure to get some arnica and rosehip oil and I will do my best to rest (this is the tough part for me!)

• Posted

Hi,

I had stripping and EVLT on right leg 5 weeks ago and it's only now coming right! I had the left leg done last Friday and this one is much worse! Very sore and difficult to walk and impossible to get a decent night's sleep.

Everyone is different and I think some may have been very lucky but Ifound it much much worse than I expected. A lot sorer and much longer to recover!

Sorry if I sound depressing but think it's better to be realistic and it's certainly very distressing and much more than the monor procedure it's sometimes made out to be.

Good health to everyone.

• Posted

I totally agree. Wish they were honest abput recovery. Beside excruciating pain have to deal with worry that something is wrong. At least we are not crazy or alone. Good luck to all of us to heal.

• Posted

Hello all!!

Glad I have also come across this site as I also feel not great after vein stripping one week ago.

I thought the surgery was great, not groggy no pain, until the recovery started. I have a really tight bandage on like a huge plaster from groin to ankle!! Which is so tight the pressure is awful! Due to have this off in

Morning which I'm dreading as it's stuck on tight... My vein was only small behind my knee but wanted it sorting before it got worse. I can see the bruising at the top of the bandage so not sure what's going on underneath???? And the top of my thigh is really swollen. I have also felt really sick just when I stand up. Just hope the results are worth it and can't wait for a bath!!!

• Posted

Hi

Well i'm going for both legs stripping in a couple of days, having had several bouts of very painful Phlebitis and DVTs i can only hope the the the initial pain from the surgery provides long term relief from the other syptoms, here's to a positive outcome!

• Posted

I love the positive attitude! I hope all did go well for you. I had mine done on Friday! Had my ultrasound done yesterday to make sure there were no blood clots, ace bandages off and back to work today (Tuesday), glad I had mine done!
  • Posted

I looked into getting surgery for my varicose veins until I did some more research and found that there are other treatment options besides surgery that work just as good if not better than surgery. I found the usa vein clinic where they use a laser to get rid of varicose veins. No surgery. It's was an in office procedure that only took about 15 minutes. It was fast and painless surprisingly. The whole staff there was very helpful and kind. i would recommend them to anyone wanting to get rid of their varicose veins permanently and without pain or downtime like surgery. Also studies show that people who get surgery to get rid of their varicose veins instead of a laser type procedure are more likely to re develop their varicose veins in the future.
    • Posted

You were very lucky. Many of us after EVLT dealing with lots of pain for a long time.
  • Posted

just had evlt on my right leg due to painful bulky veins ,found the procedure quite painful (had it done 11th dec 2012 ) so still in recovery ,bandages are now off and have alot of bruising ,but he veins havent gone sad also having alot of pain from where the needles went in ,am i complaining to early ? is this normal ? read up that your back on your feet in 2 days and i can hardly walk
    • Posted

Very painful recovery. Going on 3 1/2 wks. lots of burning, tightness, I also have bulky veins. Leg is a mess. Difficult sleeping. Hope time will get my leg feel like normal. Wasnt prepared for this. Good luck to all of us.
    • Posted

I had my left leg done 4 weeks ago tomorrow. Has been quire uncomfortable especially the inner thigh. I have approx 27 little cuts from the procedure and still have some bruising. I diddnt get much post op info at all. I go in on the 6th June to get my left leg done! My consultant advised to take at least 6 weeks off work for each leg.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.