RECTAL BLEEDING BRIGHT RED BLOOD

Posted , 5 users are following.

Am taking prednisone started 30mg decreasing by 5mg per week and on azathiodine 150mg per day (2 weeks). But rectal bleeding is getting worse getting up at 3/4am and again at 6am bright red and turning toilet bowel bright red. Tapers off in the day. Sometimes starts in late evening very slight. If I could get rid of this bleeding would be happy. Should I contact ibd nurse/consultant! Very slight pain more a niggle. Any advice would be welcome. Next appointment not till 3rd November.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Helena - I'm on similar medication but it's my second time with a  decreasing 80mg dose of oral Prednisolone. What I find (I think the IBD Nurse would confirm) is that these steroids are likely to give the patient haemorrhoids. This is certainly true in my case and because I've got UC and haemorrhoids it's hard to work out which is the source of the bleeding  but I believe fresh bright blood is probably the later. I used cream which helped and the haemorrhoids went after the course of Prednisolone ended. Unfortunately they have returned with the new course of steroids. It can really screw your head up seeing blood in the toilet. Where I live there is a none urgent telephone line and the nurse returns your call, often, the same day. Take care Chris
    • Posted

Hi GP has checked and no hemorrhoids. Only started me on 30mg steriods this time which I don't think is high enough dose. Will ring Ibd nurse again tomorrow as bleeding has got worse in last 24Hrs. Am getting quite scared now waiting to see what happens over night and in the morning
    • Posted

Sounds like a good move. They'll advise. Sometimes a little blood can seems like lots. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Helena

Have you tried a change in diet? I had rectal bleeding for 1.5 years. It turned out to be Gluten which included bread, pasta, weet Bix, .... After 3 weeks everything back to normal.

It is worth a try. 

Cheers

Ehsan

• Posted

Everything is rice based... rice noodles, brown rice, potatoes, vegetables, .... until synptoms are isolated and you find the cause. Drugs have not been a solution for me...

Cheers

• Posted

Have seen ibd nurse and has put me on Colifoam for two weeks. Anyone had any experience of this have been on azathioprine for two weeks have raised platelet count and low wbc.
  • Posted

Hey Helena

Good to hear from you. Next thing you know everything back to normal. I am surprised not many ave responded with diatry treatments. Please let us know within 2-3 weeks how you go.

Cheers

• Posted

Have hospital appt this Monday still taking azathioprine for four weeks and been using Colifoam for just a week but no improvementif anythink worse bleeding every time I goto the toilet had a couple of accidents at! (home luckily) didn't get upstairs quick enough. Starting to feel there is no meds toget into remission with and that people just don't understand as you don't look ill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.