Recurrence of HSP?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

My son was admitted to hospital last July for HSP, he had the rash for a few days after i thought enough was enough of being misdiagnosed so took him to a&e who admitted him as soon as they realised he had arthritis too. He had then tummy pain and was obviously refusing to eat and had blood and protein in his urine. That as all since passed and is being "monitored" by a consultant. But i think it may have come back but is not showing up in urine or blood tests (they are all clear) but ever since a nasty virus in late March he has had horrible tummy pain and constant nausea (he went off eating for a while too, until a dose of strong anti-biotic as apparently there were red and white blood cells in his urine and after two doses it had cleared it) this picked his eating up but now every time he eats or runs around he feels sick, never actually been sick and says it feels like trapped wind, like before when he was at the hospital. He's just had a through ultra sound scan too which was perfect. We have been trying the no Gluten and Lactose diet too which we thought had worked but after 2 days the pain came back. Is this possible to have a flare up again with no clinical findings, i have heard so? Has it somehow damaged his gut? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as we are fed up with guessing.

Thank you.

Ang

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ang,

It would seem that HSP and arthritis are often mistaken.

My daughter who is 10 was told on Easter Sunday after a week of rashes and then swelling that she had hsp. 6 weeks later she was worse then ever and I took her back after consultation check up with the doctor who said she was making great progress!

Any way after calling them up and being given open access we were told to go in. It was then they ordered heart scan,chest X-ray and lots of bloods.

They went on to admit her into hospital where we were then told she was a very poorly little girl and she spent the next 5 days in and had steroids over 3 of those.

Her bloods came back very quickly with very high levels of inflammation all over her body and over a mth before this had temperatures hitting the 40's . We were told hsp was a red herring and my daughter was diagnosed with systematic juvenile idiopathic arthritis!

She had all the symptoms you have mentioned but apparently the temperature thing and the levels of inflammation and the fact her rash would disappear during morning as in when she woke but would come on through the day.i was told hsp doesn't do that.

My daughter is now on a weekly injection of methotrexate which takes several weeks to kick in . We only on week 3 and she still in pain and has all the rash and swelling😒.

Hope your son is on the mend soon

• Posted

Hi thanks for your replay.

I hope your little one recovers soon. It isn't nice. I have inflammed joints for the last couple of years but the good thing apparetntly about JIA is it goes thankfully.

My son's bloods all came back perfectly normally only thing were a type of white blood cell was slightly down which meant a virus he was suyffering from. His joints are a tiny tiny bit tender and sore when pressed so i think this HSP is lingering still. The Dr at the ospital said it can damgae his tunmmy and gut, so we think that with every virus it irritates and flares again. I will speak with the consultant again as i i may have RA so could be connected possibly. 

Thank you again and very best wishes. 

• Posted

My son (9 in October 2015) was diagnosed last year with HSP. He luckily has not had a severe case (yet). The first time he got it, it was following a very severe case of strep throat. It took us weeks to figure out what the diagnosis was. We thought the rash was an allergic reaction, and that the stomach pain was caused by eating things that didn't sit well with him, and he had no accompanying joint pain at first. Then he started complaining of aches in his ankles. The doctor knew immediately what it was based on all of his symptoms. They tested his urine multiple times and his blood and all came back negative for proteins, thankfully. However, since then, he has continually gotten it, over and over and over every single time he gets a cold or some other virus. It seems like whenever his immune system kicks in, the rash appears and then we just have to wait it out until it goes away. The doctors don't have any solutions for us, other than putting him on a steroid, which they have repeatedly said they do not want to do, as the steroids could cause more problems than the HSP. I absolutely hate it for him. Most of the time, he only has to deal with the rash and occasional stomach aches, but the poor thing is so embarrassed by it at school that he wants to wear long sleeve shirts and jeans even on 85 degree days. This year, he's more used to it and his teacher and the school nurse are aware of it, so he doesn't care as much about it showing all over his legs and arms, but it still breaks my heart. I wish there was something to make it go away permanently, but I fear that this is something he will have to deal with for the rest of his life. :-(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.