Recurrent Bacterial Vaginosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I apologize in advance for the long question/rant and overly TMI. I developed BV when I had unprotected sex for the first time with my current boyfriend, a little over 1 year ago. I have been on multiple trips to the doctors. I am 19 years old and I've never had any problems with vaginal infections until having sex with this particular partner. I first went to my regular pediatrician who prescribed Metronidazole multiple times. After 5 visits, being prescribed the same antibiotic, and having a reoccurrence every time I had intercourse I was finally prescribed Clindamycin for a week with Metro intravaginal gel along with probiotics for a year as a maintenance. This worked well until I stopped using it (the gel was so messy), the next day after sex all symptoms would be back. After feeling defeated and crying to my mom I made an appointment with a new gynecologist, after getting a lecture and being ridiculed for having unprotected sex....He prescribed 600mg boric acid suppositories from the pharmacy to use every night for a week and then 2 times a week for the rest of the two month course. Finally something that worked, I had about 2 weeks of relief; no smell and no discharge. But when the course switched to 2 times a week I developed BV every time i've had sex since. The symptoms have changed over the last year from fishy odor to rotten cabbage smell... still a thin creamy discharge sometimes with a tinge of yellow. I'm honestly so drained from this topic. I am only 19 and feel as if I will never have a normal sex life again. What's my next step?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi I'm glad to help I don't think you rant at all. It's important that every time after sex you urinate Nd clean the area completely. Another quick remedy after sexy since that's when it happens is soaking a tampon in Greek chobani PLAIN yogurt for about half hour and insert overnight until next morning. It's imperative to take a probiotic everyday for vaginal support! Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thank you Stephanie for your reply! I always make sure to urinate to pass bacteria in the uretha and clean up the mess after. I've tried the yogurt on a tampon when I had a mild infection and it pretty much cured it overnight but tried it another time when the infection was a little worse and didn't see any effect. I was taking a probiotic everyday until the gyno told me that there was no point that they don't work but I just ordered fem-dophlius last night after seeing women rave about it here. Thank you again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.