Recurrent Cystitis (HELP!)

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello, i am a 20 year old female and have suffered with cystitis since i was 16. It was only when i started dating my current partner who i have been with for a year and 5 months, that i noticed my symptoms were more recurrent. I deal with recurrent cystitis on a day to day basis, even when i don't have intercourse. I recently was transferred to my local hospital by my GP as the urine samples came back negative. They done a scan and everything seemed normal with my kidneys and bladder. Went back a couple of weeks later and was told i need to pee at least 3 litres for 3-4 weeks. Even though i don't drink nearly enough i just feel  there is a deeper cause. I have had thrush which i was given medication for, not sure if it worked or not but is it possible to get thrush inside of the urethra? because i was only treated for external thrush. I have struggled severely with depression because of this i am also scared it will push my boyfriend away as i rarely go out because of it and he misses out on doing stuff with me as a couple even though we live together it is nice to get out together too. I really hope someone can give me some answers on what i should do as i am really hard on myself about it. 

0 likes, 86 replies

86 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I find if I don't drink at least two litres of water a day my symptoms return. It is a pain to drink so much particularly at work as you have to keep running to the loo but it does help. I understand how you feel as I feel the same way. This is a dreadful condition and has a big impact on your relationship. You need to talk it through with your partner if he loves you he will understand. Antibiotics can cause thrush so maybe this is what is causing your problem with that. There are pessary treatments which treat the inside as well as cream for the outside maybe speak to a Pharamacist and they can tell you which one to buy. I used to use Canestan.
    • Posted

Hello Kerry, thank you for commenting. Do you feel it has stopped you from getting cystitis? I am a 'lazy drinker' as some people put it. Meaning I don't feel the need to drink a lot unless I am really thirsty. You are lucky if I drink 500ml a day, sometimes less. Which i don't think helps. I was on Keratex (I think that is how you spell it) but you are not meant to take a lot of it as it can have side effects later on in life but now I am not on any medication. How do you know if you have thrush inside of the urethra? I'm guessing you get some sort of scope or something?...
    • Posted

Keflex* sorry, lol
    • Posted

I suffered with recurrent UTIs (always e-coli) for over 10 years until I discovered a product by chance on the internet many years ago.  It's called D Mannose and it was truly my miracle find.  I had an e coli based infection at least every other month and the doctors just filled me with endless different antibiotics most of which I am now resistant to.  I had all tests available carried out and the doctors could not establish why I would get so many UTIs.  I ordered D Mannose because I read the reviews and had nothing to lose - I was desperate.  I took 1 large teaspoon of powder every 2 hours and the burning stopped!!!  I continued to take 1 large teaspoon every 3 hours for 5 days and for the first time in years I was UTI free and stayed that way for over a year.  If you have an e coli based infection this powder cannot fail to work.  There are 1000s of success stories and reviews on this product and they are all real.  I have never had to take an antibiotic since discovering D Mannose - it works every single time for me and for loads of other UTI suffers.  The one thing I think that is important to add is that some people have said it has not worked for them and I truly believe this is because they have not taken enough of the powder - some people need more some less.  My UTIs tend to be very resistant and I have to take a much larger dose than most i.e. 2 heaped teaspoons for the first 2 days and then reduce down to 1 heaped.  Also, most people can stop taking it after 3 days but I have to take it like I would an antibiotic for 7 days.  Taken in larger doses does mean that you could have diarrhea but I would rather have that problem than to have eye watering burning every time I go for a pee.  An upset tummy resolves if you reduce the dose.  D Mannose can be expensive £20 a 50g packet but I have managed to find it for £11 for 80g.  I do still get the occasional UTI but I now also take a feminine probiotic which has all but kicked them out!!  D Mannose changed my life.  Please try and let me know how you get on.
    • Posted

l have a friend, an old lay with cystitus probs, and she uses it and supports it, as do many on c.o.b site. l will look on net and give it a try, thanks for advice.
    • Posted

I think its important to spread the d mannose message because we all know how dreadful cystitis is.  I actually cried with relief when i found that it actually worked coz I just never thought it could, I had suffered so much over the years.  As mentioned in my previous post, if you have e coli (almost all UTIs are caused by e coli), d mannose cannot fail to get rid of it.  The dosage is important, as also mentioned, some people need more some need less.  For a bad case take every hour until stinging/burning subsides.  Remember DOSAGE IS IMPORTANT = need to get enough into the bladder to rinse the e coli bateria out.  It does not kill bacteria but instead sticks to it and basically it drags it out of your bladder.  Some doctors are finally beginning to acknowledge the benefits of d mannose. 
    • Posted

might add the friend who uses it, along with many on c.o.b site, also use it for intersticial cystitus, where bacteria isnt found in samples, more an inflammatory condition, either allergic or auto immune, or maybe even some deep seated bacteria, still researching it. But many use mannose for it and state in helps with symptoms.  Plus those with ic do also get bacterial cystitus, lve just seen some on ebay, will def try it. 
    • Posted

Hi Julie, I am just on antibiotics for a water infection, the 4th in two weeks! I really don't want to be taking antibiotics all the time and am just looking round for alternative treatments. I have seen a lot about D Mannose. Anything has got to be better than the Nitrofurantoin I am taking. But the thing is, would I have to continue with the antibiotics now I am on them, or, could I go onto D, mannose. I am pretty sure that when this infection is gone, it will return a few days later as I've got Vaginal Atrophy and its the atrophy that is resulting in more UTI'S. I was thinking I would have to go back on to HRT to stop the UTI's. But I don't want to do that either. I wonder how it would be if I took a spoonful of D mannose every day to help keep the water infections at bay, or would they just stay away longer as a result of taking the D mannose? I don't know. I don't want to be on antibiotics all the time, that's all I do know. Thanks for listening.
    • Posted

Hi Shirley, I am hopeful that I can help you with your problem by providing you with information on how I practically cured my recurrent UTIs.

Firstly, I too suffer from vaginal atrophy and have done so for years hence recurrent UTIs.  D Mannose is amazing stuff and IT WORKS EVERY TIME FOR ME AND COUNTLESS OTHERS.  I have also incorporated a probiotic which specifically replaces the vaginal flora which fights the bugs that cause UTIs (which is sparce if you suffer with vaginal atrophy).   I am a real person with nothing to gain by recommending D Mannose and targetted probiotics.  I lived on antibiotics until I discovered D Mannose and I am pretty much resistent to most antibiotics now.  

You can get rid of an established infection by regular intake of D Mannose.  I take:

Day 1

1 heaped teaspoon of D Mannose every 2 hours for the first 5 days of an established infection.  

Day 6

1 heaped teaspoon every 3 hours for 2 days

Day 8

1 heaped teaspoon every 4 hours 1 or 2 days.  

I have to take higher doses to get rid of my infections but some people actually need less.  The higher dose can tend to give you diarrhea but I would rather that than the awful burning of a UTI.  I still get UTIs but whereas I had them all the time (ie every 2 weeks) I now have approximately 1 every year to year and a half and I have D Mannose in the cupboard for when these occur and they quickly disappear.  

The fantastic thing about D Mannose is that the stinging of a UTI will begin to ease within hours and feel completely eased within a day or 2 but you must keep taking the powder to ensure you get all the bacteria out of your bladder.  

I have also found that the best way to push the bacteria out of your bladder is to wait 1 hour after taking the powder and then to drink at least a pint of liquid after the hour.  This flushes the bacteria that are attached to the D Mannose out of your bladder.  

I have had many years of trial and error with the dosage and the above dosage instructions never fail for me.  You can also take D Mannose as a preventative but I do not tend to.  Perhaps if I did, I would not have any further attacks at all!!  D Mannose can be quite expensive but it's worth every penny if it means you do not have to remain on antibioitics which only make matters worse by killing the good bacteria which fight the UTI.  Please feel free to contact me further if you would like further advice.   

• Posted

Hi Julie, Many many thanks for your help and info re my UTI's and D Mannose. I am going to buy some really soon. I wonder if I should start using it when the antibiotics run out, as a preventative measure, as I am pretty sure the UTI will quickly re-appear if I don't. Then hopefully I will not have to go on antibiotics again and better still, I won't have to go back on HRT either. I am pretty sure that when I was on HRT, all it was doing was keeping the UTI's away. I was still very sore with it and still got the sensation of wanting to wee all the time too - this Vaginal Atrophy has been a real shock for me. I wouldn't mind but untill I got it last year, I had never heard of it!

So many thanks again. I really appreciate your help and should I get another UTI, I will be following your instructions. :-)

• Posted

Got my D Mannose this afternoon. Very expensive. If it works I will have to find a cheaper source.
    • Posted

Maybe jus take it twice a dayas a preventative.  It is very expensive I agree but I have managed to source it at approximately £10 a 50g jar.  Takes a while to arrive (couple of weeks) so I order it in advance.  Search for it on google (don't think I am allowed to give name brands - they will block this message).  £9.99 D Mannose will make a huge difference - it's all about the right dosage - let me know how you get on.
    • Posted

Yes I think that's what I will be doing Julie. £10 a jar is still a lot but much better than what I paid. Yes I think they would block the message if you gave a brand name but I will search for £9.99 D Mannose like you said, and see what comes up. God it needs something to make a huge difference. I will report back with any progress. :-)
    • Posted

Hi Julie , hope you don't mind me contacting you.. , I also have used mannose for a number of years, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't which is completely frustrating ... For the 2nd time this year I have had to resort to antibiotics ( I was in a and e at 5 this morning in unbelievable pain and being berated for having the infection for a week without starting on antibiotics) .. But I trusted d mannose. On reading your comments I don't think I was taking nearly enough.. Could I ask, you mention 2 heaped teaspoonfuls at first . Every 2 hours.. Do you hold you wee for the 1st hour, wee, then drink a pint of water.? Or drink the pint before you wee? Also do you bother making sure you're alkalised ? I've also been told not to drink too much as the mannose needs to be concentrated so 150 mls of water with each measure? Sorry to bombard You with all these questions but am so desperate.. Thanks Jo 
    • Posted

Hi Jo, I too experienced problems with D Mannose not working sometimes and found that it was due to taking too low a dose.  Bacteria multiplies very quickly and you have to ensure that you hit it asap and hard.  Once I sorted the dosage out (and also taking a probiotic which populates the vagina with good bacteria) my life became happier.  Since taking a larger dose for longer, I am now able to get rid of existing infections and also reduce my infections.  A larger dose may sometimes cause diarrhea but, as mentioned in previous comments, i would much rather have diarrhea for a few hours than the horrific burning that a UTI causes and if you reduce the dose to one heaped teaspoon, the diarrhea disappears.   In answer to your questions:

Day 1 to 3:  Take two heaped teaspoon every 2 hours with a 250ml glass of water for at least 3 days. (If you experience diarrhea then reduce dose to one heaped teaspoon) 

After taking the D Mannose, hold your urine for an hour if possible.  After the hour. drink at least 1 pint of fluid (2 if possible).  You will be peeing quite a lot but that means you will be flushing the bacteria out.  Then take the next dose ie 1 heaped and hold in for an hour and repeat the drinking. 

Day 3 to 6:  One heaped teaspoon every 3 hours.  Again drink at least a pint of fluid (2 pints if possible) an hour after the dosage.  Remember you are flushing the bacterial out each time.

Day 7 and 8:  One heaped teaspon,  every 4 hours for the following day or so. 

To finish, One heaped teaspoon in the morning and at night for the next few days. 

I have found that by taking a probiotic (which I am unable to name on here) I nailed it.  I have read so many reviews on here where people give up on D Mannose because they do not get the dosage right.  Some people need less but when you have an established infection you need it higher and very regular.  Also, a mistake I made was when the burning subsided after about 4 days, I stopped and the infection returned within hours.  I had to start over again. 

The above is an outline of how I have managed to cure my UTIs but you may be lucky and need less.  Trial and error is the key but I read that D Mannose cannot fail to work on e.coli infections unless you do not take it in high enough doses and this definitely proved to be the case for me.

Good luck and please let me know how you get on.     

• Posted

Thanks so much for replying julie.. This was my routine and I think that I wasn't flushing anywhere near enough.. 1st hour .. 1 heaped in 150 Mils of neat barley water, 2nd he same, then to every 3 hours but each time I took the mannose it was only ever in 150 Mls of liquid.. Also didn't drink pints in between , frightened of diluting the mannose too much .. You double the dose but also the liquid which does make sense... You mention a probiotic.. Is this orally or on the form of a pessary? If it's a peassry, do you use this during an attack? .. Oh and I also followed my regime in the night with d mannose .. Waking myself up every 1.5 hrs for d mannose and drink alternately.. Do you continue d mannose in the night? .. I drank that much neat barley water I'm surprised I have teeth left.. ..currently just over 24 hrs of antibiotic in system.. Feeling better, but not out of woods yet.. Think the infection got a good grip of me over 6 days .. Thanks again for your very much appreciated advice.. Whilst I wouldn't wish this condition on anyone.. I do feel less alone, jo x
    • Posted

Hi Jo, I personally would not take Barley juice neat when fighting an infection - I have heard about the alkalizing benefits but you need a small glass of either plain water or juice to add the teaspoon (or 2 teaspoons) of D Mannose to.

I take the probiotic orally but if I am sexually active, I pop one in the other area immediately after!!  Its very save to do that.

If you take the D Mannose exactly as I have I feel sure you will be rid of the infection.  If you are not, then perhaps you need to ask your doctor what strain of bacteria is causing the infection.  Mine have been e-coli and klebsabella (think that's how it's spelt) and I always kick them out.  90% of UTIs are caused by these bugs and D Mannose will kick them out if taken in high enough doses.  Also, I found that the D Mannose tablets NEVER WORK when I am trying to get rid of an established infection.  Not sure why this is but I only take them as a preventative if I am going on a long journey and won't be able to drink as much.

Please let me know how you get on - you are not alone

• Posted

Julie, thanks for your reply, you have given me hope with the d mannose.. On anti b's till Friday but will take mannose as preventative to make sure infection is gone.. Will have to shop for a cheaper brand too, so am ready when the next infection arises.. Will keep in touch and let you know how i go on.. One last thing julie.. Do you continue the regime ie, mannose every 2 hrs , drink inbetween during the night? X
    • Posted

Yes I do when I have an attack.  I tend to wake up a couple of times during the night anyway coz I have drank so much and need to pee!!  I make a glass before I go to bed and have it ready on my side table.  Once you finish the antibiotics, as a preventative, take the D Mannose in the morning, afternoon and before you go to bed.  This should keep it at bay.  Continue this (a maintenance dose) for a while and see how you get on.  That should keep it away.  Also, get a good probiotic asap. I am hoping they will not withhold this response as I have named the probiotic I use.  These probiotics will repopulate the vagina with good bacteria and rid you of any bad bacteria that may get near the uretha.
    • Posted

I tried to provide the name of the probiotic here but it has withheld my response.  I said to ensure you get the probiotic asap to prevent an over population of bad bacteria which travel up the uretha.  Yes I do take it during the night when I have an attack.  I prepare a glass of juice and add d mannose to it and leave it on my unit for when I wake up.  Once the infection calms down, after 2 to 3 days, I am not as rigid but I will always prepare the glass just in case I do wake up but it's a definite must whilst you have a raging infectionl.
    • Posted

Thanks Julie, googled probiotics for women's health and have ordered, they had excellent reviews, so fingers crossed.. Am having difficulty sourcing cheaper d mannose, want the one you recommend but I know you're not allowed to divulge on here.. Not sure how to send a private message?? .. would be happy to give you my email address. .?? You have given me much hope.. Thank you x
    • Posted

Hi Julie, not sure if you got the private message just questioning ur brand of d mannose.. Also just posted this in group chat, don't know if you can relate?

Hi, new to this chat this weekend and JulieGee has been extremely helpful regarding advice with E. coli and clearing it with d mannose.. Ecoli cystitis to me is the worst pain imaginable.. Am currently reluctantly on anti b's again for it ( nitrofurantoin. 2nd lot this year) ..however always, if I do manage to clear ecoli with mannose or anti b's after a couple of days I get another "type of cystitis" no pain on passing, just constantly feel like I need to go..sometimes it sorts itself out, other times it can be so uncomfortable and give me pain in upper half of legs, buttocks, small of back etc.. Does any1 else have anything similar?? Do they know what bacteria causes it? Pee looks clear as well,.. God it's driving me insane.. So sick of it.. X

• Posted

I have sent you a provide message of where to source the d mannose.  I have not yet received your message.
    • Posted

Hi Joanna, I have the same problem of recurrent cystitis. I am keen to avoid antibiotics and start with D mannose and probiotics. could you advice in private the products you are taking. There are so many different advice on line and frankly professionals never adviced me on natural remedies. I am doing trial and error to see what works for me. I hope I can write in private. many thanks X
    • Posted

I have acinetobacter calcoaceticus bacteria in my uti and they have me on bactrim.  Is this a good one? Taking d mannose too.   Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.