recurrent hernia.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a double inguinal hernia repair done in February thus year and now have to have to right side re done.

I am awaiting the operation date and have been told it will be open repair this time.

I feel so low and disappointed by this news as I took all the right guides after the first repairs.

I didn't rush back to work and been on a easy jib since going back so I know work as not caused the need for repair again.

Hopefully I get a date for after Christmas.

Have any of you had to have hernias re done? And what was your experiences?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi Darren,

Was your February operation done open or laprosopically?

• Posted

My February repair was done Laprosopically.
  • Posted

Hi Darren

Yup, I have also had a bilateral hernia repair in April also an inguinal hernia repair on the left previously nearly 2 years before that.

The first mesh is giving me so much pain that I am having to have it removed. Depressing isn't the word...

First repair open, the bilateral a TEP repair which was incredible

Hope you get sorted.

• Posted

hi Ed66,

Sorry to hear about the pain from the mesh

Has the doctor diagnosed why its causing you the pain?

• Posted

Hi donneh

The mesh was stitched on and is pulling... Painful and horrible sad

• Posted

oh no... did the doctor say what caused that to happen??
  • Posted

I had a single right side mesh failure and I will delay 'any' kind of repair/surgery indefinitely. Here are some reasons: First, multplie repairs have very high failure rates, secondly, as far as I can tell, repair is indicated for prevention of bowel srangulation, a rare occurance- rarer than than typical pain and complicatons that result from a mesh repair, not counting the risk of nerve damage and other unpleasantries common with the procedure. Since the failure, the pain has gone down immensely; has almost disappeared in fact. It has been almost three months now with know change whatsoever in the size of the hernia sac, in the scrotum and groin, and it does not affect my normal life although rigorous exercise is out for obvioous reasons along with heavy lifting (light to medium yoga is in). 

I am doing 'watch and wait' with my doctor's approval. While I would certianly go in for surgery if there was a sudden increase in size, I'll be happy if I can just maintain it as it is. It would be great if I could naturally heal it, but I don't have very high expectaitons about that. A hernia in and of itself will not harm you. Terrible pain is so common a side effect of the mesh that one wonders if it is worth it. Bowel strangulation will mean emergency surgery, so that needs to be considered in one's choices. If there are good hospitals near you, as in most Western countries, it is unlikely you will die before they get you to the hospital. It is also unlikely that you'll get hit by a bus, but that happens too. Bowel strangulation for inguinal hernia is low- under one percent I believe and more common in the over age seventy group.

This is what I have decided to do about my hernia and so far everything is fine and I am not worried. 

• Posted

so sorry to hear about your mesh failure LaoDing

Why did it fail? Was the mesh too small and bunched up? or?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.