Recurrent Yeast Infections

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, 

I have quite a long story but I will try to shorten it, any help is appreciated! 

In August of 2015 I got a yeast infection and treated it with diflucan, well at least I thought i did. The itching and nasty discharge went away. I then had sex twice in November of 2015 and each time I did I experienced external burning down there a few days after. It felt like a rug burn. So I went to get checked for STDs (I used condoms but one did happen to break, so I of course was freaking out) and thankfully everything came back negative. They also said nothing about yeast no I thought I was good to go. Well next month right around my period I got really bad external itching, no discharge, just a bit red. It stopped about a week after my period ended so I just ignored it at first. My next period came around and the same exact itching happened, nothing else, just itching around my labia. I then went to my school gyno and she couldn't find any yeast in the culture but treated me with diflucan (2 weeks) just in case. This did nothing at all, so I went back and she pretty much told me she had no idea what the problem was. While all of this was going on I was freaking out about HIV because apparently reoccurring yeast infections are a symptoms of HIV. I have taken a total of 5 HIV tests outside the window period. (2 home tests at 3 months, 1 clearview rapid antiboody test at 3 months, 1 clearview rapid antibody test at 6 months, 1 Ag/Ab 4th gen test at 8 months). ALL of them have come back negative. I have also been retested for all others STDs. I finally decided to go to a feminine dermatologist about a month ago. I explained my symptoms and tests to her, yet she found yeast right away. She did not test me for HIV again, but did for diabetes, which thankfully came back negative. She treated me with fluconazole (I took a pill twice a week for three weeks), Terazol 3 (with applicator) and nystatin and triamcinolone acetonide cream to use after I finished the pills. She also gave me a probiotic pill to take everyday. I have done everything and finished the meds and the itching has maybe calmed down a little, but it has definitely not stopped. So now I am back to freaking out about my immune system and HIV  [Smile]  . I know it is obsessive, but I am looking for some answers. I really do not know what to do at this point, I only wear cotton underwear and practice good hygiene. I don't know if this is relevant, but I am a vegetarian, that being said I do eat a lot of carbs/starches, but am relatively healthy for a college student. It would be hard to believe that my diet or an allergy is causing all of this. Should I be retested for HIV (I have not had any possible exposures since November) and diabetes? Any info or advice is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you so much

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Riley, sorry you're going through such a tough time. I know it's so frustrating having to deal with something so long and worrying about what it is.

First things first, if you got tested for HIV as many times as you have, and they all came back negative, you don't have HIV. Especially blood tests for HIV, they are very accurate and will not miss something so serious. You can breathe a sigh of relief for that.

Yeast/fungal infections are much harder to detect, simply because we all have fungus living in us and on us. We are an ecosystem and fungus is part of our healthy flora. It is only an excess of fungus that there will be a symptoms of an infection. This also is what makes fungus so hard to treat--it's all about maintaining a natural balance.

If you haven't been tested for bacterial infections of the vagina, you might try that route to cancel it out.

When you say you practice good hygiene, do you douche or use harsh soaps? Warm water is best, and many gynos say not even to use soap, and definitely not on the inside.

Also, it sucks but don't have sex. You can be passing infections back and forth if you are having symptoms (even if your partner doesn't show symptoms themselves) and the friction does not help your skin's constitution.

You wear cotton underwear and that's great! Try avoiding tight pants (I wear skirts myself because I have recurring yeast infections). Some people have told me that wearing panty liners and switching them often helps with hygiene but I'm not to sure.

It sounds like this is stressing you out and that is completely normal. My concern for you would be that you seem to have a lot of anxiety, and stress is also not great for health. I have OCD myself, which on top of physical health problems, makes things a fun ride. It is the anxiety that will get you the hardest though, so please believe me that you will be okay. Best of luck!

• Posted

Hi Riley, man what horrible coaster ride you have been on!   

I have been having terrible yeast rash all around the groin area, it's

been awful.  I think it's due to the extremely abnormal high temperatures &

oppressive humidity.

Anyway, I've had pretty good success with applying Vagasil Yeast infection cream.  I don't recall reading that you tried that.  I've used it 3 x's daily.

i've also increased my yogurt intact.

i don't know if I've helped or not but after my horrible summer I decided to send my experience to you.

i have also been told not to douche as it may destroy the normal flora etc.

I truly hope that you find a successful treatment very soon. Good luck, 

Susan

• Posted

Hi Riley just curious if you have figured anything out with the yeast infections? I've struggled with this for years now and my Drs just keep giving me Diflican?? My yeast infections tend to coordinate with my periods? I get red and itchy before My period and with my bleeding and Diflican it clears up but  always return the next month.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.