Recurring Eczema on Hands & Back

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've always suffered from eczema, but with steroid creams and daily moisturising I have always managed to keep it at bay. However recently I have had a flare up on one of my hands, all between the fingers and up the fingers and one patch on my back that I cannot get rid of! 

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of a hand cream that is good for this? It seems like I apply the steroid cream for a week or so which cleans it up, but then after a day or two of not using it, its back to being bad again. 

Same goes for the patch on my back, it flared up out of nowhere, so I applied steroid creams and general moisturising creams (I have double base which I use when its bad) and it just keeps coming back. 

The patch on my hand is the worst as it is always tight and sore, and working in an office having to type all day does not help it!

Any advice would be really appreciated :D 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

To control eczema, it is very important to know what triggers it or causes it to breakout. Try to stay away as much as possible from detergent and harsh chemical soaps. You can alleviate the symptoms by using only organic skin products and soaps, swimming in chlorine free pools, and being aware of other chemicals in your environment. Steroids cream suppress the immune system and inhibit inflammation. But you might need to deal with side effects like weight gain. Moreover, steroid suppresses immune system, which in turn makes you vulnerable to endless infection in my hands. There are few good natural remedies; you can try if you wish. Grate nutmeg and add water to make a paste to apply to the affected areas daily. Other recommended home remedies include rubbing the juice of green finger millet leaves on the area daily, adding indigo naturalis to mild lotion to make a topical ointment for daily use or adding one teaspoon of camphor oil to one teaspoon of sandalwood paste to rub on eczema as needed.Have you thought about diet changes? Low carb, and low sugar diet should help in this regard.
  • Posted

charlotte38813- Eczema is a condition of which reflects immune changes in the body. its a chronic inflammatory condition. The only answer to this is internal correction of the immunological responses.

External applications especially of steroids will only mask your disease. you may feel better for some days but however you may see relapses and recurrence of your problems in intense manner.

this is because steroids only supresss the immune system, hence you may feel your disease getting better, but it rather gets worse.

It is better to go for treatment which can correct the imbalance internally and enhance the immunity.

it has been seen that good results with homeopathic treatment. its acts internally correcting the immune balance. 

i hope the suggestion helps. GOODLUCK!!!

• Posted

You may also avoid  having spicy food since increase the inflammation and cause itching.

You may apply coconut oil, vaseline jelly, petroleum jelly, olive oil or aloevera gel.

these home remedies will help you prevent the dryness in your patches of eczema

The best mixture would be  aloevera gel and olive oil in equal proportions.  However, these are not curative solutions and will only help to keep itching at bay.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.