Recurring shingles and hypothyroidism

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was just wondering if anyone out there also has hypothroidism and if there's a connection.  I was diagnosed with that shortly after my first episode of shingles. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I don't think thers a connection but  have been on thyroxine for over twenty years, when my thyroid gland devoured itself. That's to do with the auto immune system, and I believe shingles hits when auto immune system is not functioning properly. So I'd say you need to get your dose of thyroxin checked out, and also take a supplement to help your immune system improve.
  • Posted

I got on her today, to see if anyone else thought there was a connection. I have Hashimoto disease. I have been getting shingles on my buttocks every 3 months and sometimes closer together than that. I'm very curious as to the connection if there is any.
    • Posted

There probably is a connection as shingles often strikes people with immune deficiency or so I understand. Is Hashimoto's disease underactive thyroid? I believe it's classed as Auto immune disease anyway. Not an expert but your doc will tell you.

good luck, keep in touch. Ellie. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.