Red Bumps persist butt and back. Pictures attached.

Posted , 17 users are following.

These itchy painful red bumps have not gone away in months.  The old ones take about a month to turn into purple spots / scars.  New ones constantly appear.  They are painful and itchy. They do not crust or ooze.  They look more like bug bites.  As my history tells I have never had a swab only blood tests for HSV1 and 2.  HSV is always around 16-17 IGG.  HSV2 is always between 1.1 and 1.6 IGG.  I took a Western Blot which showed antibodies for HSV1 but was negative to HSV2.  I am still questioning the Western Blot due to not being off antivirals long enough.  I plan to retake this test in a month or so. 

Does anyone else get red bumps like these only on their butt and back?  I have never had a tradional outbreak on my genitalia.  I have been to planned parenthood and a dermatologist who do not think this is herpes.  They claim it is folliculitis. Neither provider would do a swab!  I have never had this in my life until 6 or so months ago, after I broke up with someone that had GH, so she thinks although she may have had GHSV1.

0 likes, 30 replies

Report / Delete

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Bummer. It's hard to tell from pics. I'd insist on a swab from a fresh open sore. Once the sore starts to heal sometimes there isnt enough virus there. I've had a Dr. think no way would it be herpes, and after my insistence on a swab test it was indeed herpes!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You are negative for Type 2 and your Type 1 is established at those numbers, so it's not a new infection. You may well have only oral Type 1 from ages ago and nothing H-related going on below the belt. Genital Type 1 is not very contagious, so the odds of you acquiring it are not high.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Maybe it is just butt acne, but I have never had this before all my issues started 8-9 months ago. I just need to find a Dr. That will swab them so I can be 100% sure. I'm just trying to be a good person and do my due diligence. At his point I'm afraid to even get a massage in fear I may be contagious let alone be intimate with someone.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Looks like shingles. Mine looked similar it was on my back....
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi, you are the second person to tell me this looks like shingles.  I have also blood tested positive for Herpes Zoster and was told that was because I had chicken pox when I was a child.  This is so frustrating because I have been to my regular doctor, a dermatologist, and planned parenthood here in the states.  Each time I was told this is not herpes and it is folliculitis.  All three medical professionals would not do a swab.  This is an example of the poor quality of medical care people are receiving in the United States anymore.  Either these providers don't care to do their due diligence or they are just aren't educated on these types of presentations.  Anyhow, I appreciate your response.  I will try to get these swabbed the next time I have a new one appear.  Thank you.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

The fact that you have been to a doctor, dermatologist and PP, and none recognised your pimples as herpes or shingles, makes it seem most unlikely that it's either, especially in light of your results/history. Looks nothing like shingles to me, just a few random pimples. Have you tried any creams for folliculitis to see if they do in fact help?
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Never in my life have I had bumps like these on my butt. This all started after my exposure to someone that had H. I have constant tingling and twitching in my legs and butt. These symptoms seem to exacerbate when these red bumps are active. I have spoken to several people on this forum and others who say there h and or shingles presents only as red bumps. I have tried a few creams including elidel an antibiotic cream on these bumps with no relief. I know a good provider should be able to do a DNA swab of these bumps and put this issue to bed. I just need to find a competent provider who can perform this. Looks like another trip to California. I once again appreciate your comments.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

hi oddity, did you find out what it exactly was? i also had some bumps looking like big pimples around my butt, that was since a couple months ago and i also never seen them before. one of the bumps turned to a purple spot and is still there after a couple months. sometimes i feel also random tingling sensation or pain in my legs rolleyes
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Well, based on your results and what you've described, it's highly unlikely to be genital herpes, but, yes, better get it swabbed for peace of mind, as I suspect you won't be satisfied until you've had it directly tested. If you go private, wherever you are, they ought to do it for you. I wouldn't bother with the WB again, though, as you clearly have Type 1 somewhere (probably oral without symptoms) and don't have Type 2.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

As I have come to find out, Rosacea is a pain in the butt. It seems everything affects it. Heat, cold, stress, it's a bummer to say the least. However, I have been pleasantly surprised with dermalmd rosacea serum. No miracle cure by any means, but has kept the redness in check and has reduced same. I'm pleased.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

If you have nerve pain in your butt (I have the same) then it could be herpes. I’ve read that taking aciclovir for long periods actually weakens your immune system so you’re body can’t fight the virus on its own. I’m taking loads of multi vitamins now. Try the Melissa cream it’s supposed to prevent outbreaks. I think you’re going to have to work on building up your immune system and hopefully you’ll see improvements in your skin.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up