Red meat

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am only 16 but I have recently become worried about my red meat and bacon intake. I would say I eat bacon 5/6 days a week and have done since I was maybe around 7/8 and now I want to stop as it is now been proved how bad it is for me. I was just wondering if I cut down now has the damage already been done for me and in later life will I develop bowel or other cancer or if I stop now should I be ok? I am a healthy weight and excercise regularly btw.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jon

you are no doubt troubled by the negative reports on processed foods.  This scaremongering does annoy me a bit because every day we are told what's good or bad for our health, and quite often they contradict each other, so we don't know where we stand.  I think your intake so far probably has been a bit excessive, but that doesn't mean you are going to get cancer.  I am an ageing lady now, never smoked, ver occasional glass of wine, good diet and exercised but I still got bowel cancer.  You are now approaching your adult years you can be in control of your diet, and I am sure as long as it is well balanced you will be fine.  Eating everything in moderation, including bacon,sausages is not going to do you harm.

i think getting cancer a lot of the time is just bad luck.  Of course we can all cut down the risks to reduce the chance.

You sound a very sensible person, and I think from now on you will have a very healthy lifestyle.  Please don't smoke, my dear father was a very heavy smoker and died of lung cancer at an early age, as I suppose many others have done for the same reason.

i wish you along and healthy life, enjoy your 'occasional' bacon sarnies and all the other things you like, but from today just as them as treats.

Good luck

Margaret

• Posted

Thanks Margaret. I suppose I am just looking peace at mind. Also, the bacon which I would have been eating would always have come from my local butchers which should not be as bad for me? Nevertheless, I still will cut down on it.
    • Posted

By the way I wish you well and hope you improve from your condition
  • Posted

I ate little in the way of processed meats but still wound up with bowel cancer in my late 70s!  Many factors influence whether or not you suffer from cancer, diet is just one of them and not necessarily the most important.  As Margret says, all things in moderation is the best approach.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.