redivac anti suction drain has been in place for 4 months

Posted , 5 users are following.

it has been 7 months post surgeryn from incisional hernia repair and i`m stillnot recovered. Hernia was about the size of a football . 2 months post surgery I developed sever swelling in stomach. After pushing for tests in hospital I had a 2.5 lt hematoma fluid drained of. 2 weeks later I was admitted to hospital and had 3lt seroma fluid drained and anti suction drian placed in. 4months on still have the drain as well as 6 serious bacterial infections in the drain fluid. My surgeon seems a bit lost as to what to do.He seems to look to me and asks what he should do??? I would have thought as he is the surgeon he would know whats best Anyone have similar experiences?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello.. sorry to here about your troubles i know how yyou feel.. i had a giant incisional hernia in feb 2014.. it was like a basketball growing out of me resulting from a car crash... the wound got infected then the hernia appered.. i currently now have a double lateral hernia bothsides of my hips going to my ribs... because the surgeon had to sacrifice the obleaks to save the front abdominal area.. the obleaks have now teared and these nothing nobody can do about it they wont touch me .... i currenty have to wear a full size corset just to keep me stable as i cant function walk .. bend... stretch without it.. i have had 6 opinions here in the UK... i do not know what to do or who to turn too i am now classed as disbaled due to lack of mobility.... i feel your pain...
  • Posted

Had incisional hernia repair 1 year ago have not had similar experiences to you guys, but it is really scary stuff, lost for words.  Until all my probs I disillusionally thought hernias were a minor problem, how wrong I was.  Take care guys
    • Posted

Thank-you Shirley I wish you well... I don't know about you two but after hearing surgeons can't operate on me.again and saying there is nothing we can.do for you... Just makes me want.to give up.... I don't.know where you. Two are but I'm in UK England. Don't know if it's worth travelling
  • Posted

Hi Grant I am in England but I went to Edinburgh for my incisional hernia repair last year, and the surgery has held, but my surgeon Mr Andrew De beaux did say that he would only guarantee the repair for 5 years, so I took the risk, and hopefully it will last longer than 5 years, I am in my late 60's and thought it would give me 5 years quality of life.  I have discovered that hernia surgery is life changing surgery even when it works, but that if it fails in some circumstances it can be redone but I guess they wouldn't be giving me a 5 year guarantee after a second op.  In case it might help Mr De beaux is chair of the british and European Hernia society he is contactable on the internet and you could if you can afford pay for a private consultation with him, I feel sure he would see you.  Hope this helps
    • Posted

Thank-you that is great advice.. I might get in contact... I'm 30 miles.south of Birmingham.... Im only 24 years old and been classed disabled... Just heart breaking.. I think the damage from.the crash did it for me.
  • Posted

HI Grant I feel heartbroken for you, no-one ever tells you how awful the consequences of being damaged in the stomache intestine area can be.  I do hope you get some help.  Mr de beaux is the best, there are good trains to Edinburgh and there is a good bus from the city centre which takes you straight to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.  I live in Yorkshire and went up to see him on the train, really nice guy.

• Posted

Thank you grant I am quite well and able to lead a fairly normal life,but I have had 5 abdominal ops, 3 c sections, a laprotomy when my bowel perforated and the hernia repair and abdominoplasty to repair the hernia and all the previous damage caused by all the previous surgery.  It is a lot, but I am doing well. 

I sincerely hope that you can get some help from someone you are so young.  I send you my very best wishes and hope that you can find some enjoyment in life.

• Posted

Awww... Thank-you Shirley.. glad you are well I've had 4 ops so far.. Hopefully I will see pain management physio and I might get a tense machine.... I'm glad you are okay and would like to stay in contact with you and see how you are if that's okay.... All the best to you
    • Posted

Of course, I have 10 grandchildren, I will add you as the eleventh,  You will be the eldest, as our eldest is 22 and living in Melbourne Australia. Seriously I hope you get some pain relief, and I will keep in touch and let you know how I am getting on.  Just keep in-touch on the forum. Hernia is such a hidden condition, and I dont think that unless you experience it you have any appreciation of what it is like.  Make sure to give yourself a treat at least once a  day, something you really like.  Take care
    • Posted

Awww Thank-you I'm honoured... I do need to sort something out as I can't take it much more.. I also have a condition called fibramyalga. Which isn't the best... Yes stayingbin contact Will be great smile... I used to be a family portrait artist for people in care. Homes.. I would go in draw a portrait of everyone for there families.. I currently use two corsets overlapping but it don't help me when I cough or sneeze... Hopefully get there one day x
  • Posted

Hi Jo I read about your experience with your incisional hernia. I have one also about that size and mine is on my left flank area which is hard to keep a mesh in tact. I know it's frustrating to still not be healed after so long so be strong and be brave because it's a long,hard road to go down. I'm on my 5th year and going to have to have a 3rd reconstructive surgery. My life has completely changed as I'm sure yours has too. I am in pain most of the time. I have filed for disability 3 times and keep getting denied even though I can't do anything. This forum is a great place. We need each other. No one around me understandssad I am 38 and my body feels like it's 80. I'm sorry for what your going through. Oh yeah mine was caused by a kidney surgery.
  • Posted

feeling so sorry for all you young people and what you are going through, people do not understand, a friend of mine suggested I was malingering the other day.  It is so unfair that you are not allowed a disabled badge as it is a disability like any other, we cannot lift, ride a bike or run and much much more for some of us how can it not be a diability, probably because the powers that be do not consider it has not affected our mobility, what do they know, the measures of disability need revising to include people like ourselves.  Rant over keep as well as you can all of you.  Granny Shirley

• Posted

Hello nanny Shirley... The system is a joke but what can we do we all need to stick together in times like these.. People don't understand it because they have never been through it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.