Reducing Fluoxetine - symptoms?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello

I started Prozac on 1st September.  Was depressed but primary symptoms migraine and fibro pain almost daily and fatigue.  Had previously been on Citalapram for a year before with little effect.  Fluoxetine was like a miracle for me.  Soon felt more energised and motivated and migraine and body pain disappeared.  

Had a bit of a set back on 22 October - after I'd been on it for about 7 weeks.  Headache, anxiety etc.  Doc increased to 30 mg (two one dayand one the next).  Felt ok-ish but not quite as energetic and  bit more tired.  

By Christmas, feeling very tired and achey and doc put me up to 40 mg on 30 December.  Didn't feel good on this dose and had what I thought could be s/e from increasing.  Tremor and aching in arms and generally unwell.

So - a week ago (last Sunday) decided to reduce to 20 mg.  Felt good until Thursday and then hit by intense headaches (not migraine).  Waking up in middle of night with them.  Never had this before even with migraine. Stiff neck, aching arms back.  Intense dreams.  

Thinking now that the effects I had in the three weeks i was on 40 mg could have been s/e which would have disappeared had I persisted.

Regret reducing so quickly.  Thought it would be ok because of long half-life of Flu and the fact that I hadn't been on it too long.  One reason I wanted to get off this was because of weight gain (16 lb) since I started Citalapram.  Not happy to see that since I reduced Flu have put on 3 lb in only a week.  Bizarre.

Anyway, back to 40 today and wondering how long it will be before I feel human again.

Wondering if anyone has any similar experience?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Interesting. Sorry for the struggle your having. I'm currently taking 20 mg of fluoxetine bit Dr prescribed 40mg back around 2 months ago and also was on Celexa/citalpram. I've not wanted to make the increase unless I'm desperate. I think the withdrawals from the citalpram have been my problem making not want to be in the same situation withdrawing off another. Also concerned about Interactions with my other meds for seizures from a brain injury, TBI. I've tried to rid my stressors, gym/exercise daily and spend time in silence to slow my thoughts/meditate. I'll add you to my prayers.
  • Posted

Also. As you've already found out. When reducing this type of med, do it very slowly. Read up/Google on getting off and also talk with your pharmacist. They truely know meds like these.
  • Posted

You really do need to stay on one dose only for many, many months.  Increasing and reducing your dose is giving you side effects and the withdrawal effects so your body doesn't know if it's coming or going.

These meds take a long time to work for many people, and recovery often comes in waves too - feeling great for a few days or weeks, then feel dreadful again.  That's when people make the mistake and increase their dose thinking they're not working.  They are, thought you won't see it yet.

Took my son 8 months to,fully recover on these meds.

You need to be determined, and need lots of patience.  Take one dose and let the meds to their work.  They will in time.  Don't reduce so quick either, as you found out the hard way.

They will work for you.  There is no quick fix, but give them time.

K x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.