reducing pred, anxiety or adrenalin rushes due to reducing ?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am reducing 81/2 one day, 8 the next and am experiencing what feels like adrenalin rushes:   faster heartbeat, trembling, pins and needles, nausea, churning stomach, dizziness etc.   has anyone else had this problem.    It is like an extreme anxiety and very frightening.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You are the second person, other than myself, who has brought up that unexplained panic at about the 9-8 mg level.  In my case I found it only lasted a couple of days, but enough  that I did ask about it online.  It would be interesting to know if this is a common occurrence around this level of pred.
    • Posted

Hi Anhaga, thank you for replying so promptly, its so good to talk to someone about it.  Did you have similar symptoms to mine?
    • Posted

I don't think it was as severe, but I remember a few days when I kept feeling as though I were panicking about something, although there wasn't anything more exciting going on besides eating breakfast.  It was a feeling of panic, for sure, although I don't remember other physical symptoms at the time.
    • Posted

But then, I don't think my symptoms in general have been as serious as some have, at least since I got my diagnosis and treatment!
    • Posted

I've been on 8.5 mg. prednisone for about 3 wks. and experienced the worst panic attack I've had in 25 yrs.  Rheumatologist assured me (???) that it could not be from the prednisone.  Finally, got hold of my GP and she gave me some antianxiety meds that have helped immensely.  I am also suffering from a sinus infection and used a nasal spray that I wondered if it triggered it.  All is calm for the moment, but am hurting and really don't want to up the pred. as my hair is finally starting to grow back in at this dose.  So, I was very interested to see someone else has had a panic attack.  This is such a guessing game we play with PMR!!  Feel better soon.
    • Posted

Hi Anhaga and Linda, I am having comstant tingling/trembling in feet and legs, churning stomach and dizziness with a faster heartbeat every now and then.   After a short walk my feet and legs are more painful and rhe dizziness is worse.  I wondered if my body just doesnt like the changes in level of steroids.  I have so many side effects that I have always had lots of problems since I started them over 14 months ago.  I am wondering if I ought to try going straight from 81/2 to 8 with no taper.   What do you think ?
    • Posted

Linda and Jan both - if you are having problems at a lower dose then try going back to the last dose where you were fine, If these problems then go it will have been due to the reduction.

If you go straight from 8.5mg to 8mg without a taper you would expect the response to the change in dose to be greater but there is no reason not to try it and see what happens.

Linda - I appreciate you don't want to up the dose again but if you are hurting the most likely reason is that 8.5mg is simply that little bit too low to manage the inflammation and it is beginning to build up. If it were steroid withdrawal pain then it should be improving by now after 3 weeks. If you let it build up it won't be just 9mg you may have to return to but a much higher dose to get the flare under control.

• Posted

Thanks, I've been seriously thinking that I should go back to 9 mg.  My rheumy always has such a fit at this dose, however, but sure don't want to be miserable over the holidays.
    • Posted

I am very fortunate that I am not really having a flare up of pain.   My problems seem to be mainly the mental effects of reducing and the anxiety, shaking, trembling and dizziness etc. That is why I wondered if dropping straight from 81/2 to 8 would lessen the amount of time I suffer from these symptoms, which I am finding quite hard to deal with.  As I am waiting to see the cardiologist re the AFib, SVT.s, I will wait until after my appointment next week, and then give it a go !
  • Posted

Hi i am reducing and i have been at 8mg for 3weeks now soon to reduce to 7mg, and yes i have had all the things you have had, and also my hubby said i have been hyper, we just have to keep at it, i am a bit differrent than you as it is in debate if i have PMR thats why i am reducing. So good luck keep in touch with these lovely ladies who can help you through this. Regards Mags
    • Posted

Hi Margaret, how interesting.   I wonder if it is somethng to do with our adrenals trying to kick in, as I think it is at this level that they can start to work again.   I cant seem to get any rest from my symptoms, and the last couple of days I have found it difficult to do anything like shopping.  Sitting still is impossible, I want to keep moving my legs to try and control the odd sensations they are giving me.  
    • Posted

Sorry Margaret I hadnt finished, sent it off by mistake !  Just wanted to say that I hope for your sake that you have not got PMR.  I also hope that you manage to keep reducing without too many other problems.  This forum is brilliant isnt it, i dont think I would have been able to cope without it.
    • Posted

Hi Jan, yes you are right this forum is brilliants, funny you should mention your legs i am the same, poor John its a nightmare for him in bed as i am moving my feet all nigh, i was up at 5.30am this morning as i could not sleep with them, and cramp as well. Take care
  • Posted

hi

I am have a long way to go before I reach that level. I my chiroprator, I am his third patient has PMR told me that it is possible that when the dosage is low that there is some form of chemical diconnect between the pituitary thyroid and adrenal glands that can result in a fight or flight problems. This could what you are experencing maybe

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.