referred aches

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone else had aches or pains in their groin to go with their knee problems.

MIne will come on in bed when I'm lying on my good leg and my knee drops inward.

I've tried putting a pillow between my knees will does help a little.

The ache also comes on when I've been on my feet for a few hours at work.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I find that using one of those beanbag warmers on under my knee helps to get to sleep and am able to sleep through to morning.
  • Posted

Larry ...what  you are describing sounds like hip pain, not sure if you have had your knee dealt with. But keep an eye on it.
    • Posted

Mary I've had a hip replacement and the ache I'm getting isn't the same as it was before that op.

Plus my ROM isn't anywhere near as bad as it was then.

Then again it could be wishful thinkingcby me.

I had an arthroscopy 12 months ago and since then it has gone a lot worse by the way.

• Posted

Hi Larry, I've had a hip and knee replacement the same side, I've also had a revision of the hip. It's hard to work out where the pain is. Coming from I think you. Need a MARs. MRI on the hip and an ct or. MRI on the knee so find out exactly where this pain is coming from,it can be quite confusing...good luck but keep on to them ...
    • Posted

As luck would have it Mary, I've got an mri on my knee this morning, a phsysio appointment next week and my annual check up on my hip this month.

The hip check up will probably involve an mri too as well as a blood check.

As soon as the hip went last time I had to stop running and that was the start of back, groin and buttock pain.oh and sciatica too

• Posted

Oh gosh Larry you aren't running on that hip are you? Is it a metal on metal hip  as if it is you need cobalt chromium testing,

i had metal on metal hip that all X-rays etc were okay I had groin pain and pain walking, my cobalt chromium was up slightly not a concern, but when it came out the metal cup was so worn that there were shards all through the cup...poisonous things. Good luck with the MRI.

• Posted

It is a MoM Mary, it's Birmingham mid head to give it it's full title.

I used to runpains the kids that I coach at a boxing club but gave up the running when my knee started playing up.

Wrightington hospital will be checking the blood and giving me an X-ray and have an mri somewhere else.

A bloke at work who's had a hip resurfacing a few years before me has gone off with pains In that area!?!?

The docs at wrightington told me about 20% of my op fail.

• Posted

Run with the kids I coach it should say....bl##dy keys
    • Posted

Larry can I suggest you pop along to a Facebook group called total hip replacement news. You will get a ton of info about your hip there. It's run by Earl who had 2 Birmingham's ...they have now been taken off the shelves here in Australia,
    • Posted

Mary I'm not on Facebook but I can imagine what it says.

When I had mine done there were rumours that the operation wasn't working for women but I knew of women who'd had repeated failures with the full replacement op too.

I've had my device for 7 years and would love it to last till I retire.

• Posted

Larry if you need any advice or help with the Birmingham do send me a message as there are many British folks on that group and one girl Dianne has done enormous work to help a man who has bilateral hips which have caused him so much grief yet the surgeons won't remove them. Simply because his levels appear ok and the X-rays, I told you about mine, no pressure I hope it  lasts a long time...
    • Posted

My check up is this month so I'll find out the device angle is like and the blood for dangerous ion levels.

At the moment it's 7 years old and touch wood, no problem.

My knee is giving me more concern, standing up at work all shift, the other leg with its titanium ball and socket Is giving me none.

• Posted

I am glad you are on top of it as it can be quite daunting and frustrating.

take care keep me posted.

• Posted

Cheers Mary.how is your knee by the way??

From what I've read on this site I'm not filled with confidence about having a TKR but the hip replacements are 99% positive

• Posted

Larry , my knee is nearly perfect it's also now 17 years old. I have full range of bending and straightening, I don't use any aids to walk, I walk badly because I've had 6 hips nothing to do with the knee..

it is hard work , but I found the hips and shoulders also hard in their own way, I got sick of the 90 degree rule as I had all mine done using the posterior method, if I was going to do it now I'd insist on anterior.

in fact it's better than my birth knee as it's got a full thickness meniscus tear, and I'm too scared to let them poke at it, so I am putting up with it,..until I can't walk, I don't need to add another total joint into my already huge list.

my neighbour had his knee done and he was back bowling in 3 weeks.

• Posted

How come you've had 6 hip ops??

I originally thought I needed a hip replacement because of a motorcycle crash but I now know it's arthritis.

I'd always been fit and never carried any extra weight so I thought I could carry on running forever.

I can't even blame the running because my fingers and one wrist will get it too.

I personally don't think being overweight does your joints any harm.

Being the right weight hasn't helped me any.

• Posted

Larry, I've had 4 left hips. 2 right hips, 1 knee 4 right shoulders and 3 left shoulders. ..this is why I cringe when people say they run on their fake hips and knees, I never ran but was always very active..I was normal weight until I had prednisone to keep me live from encephalitis. .I also had numerous AVN lesions removed from both tibial and femurs before the hip replacements, which is why I ended up with chronic pain., for quite some time,,,,BUT......all first joints were a fabulous success, the problems for me didn't arise until I started having revisions, they are never as good as the  first... and each one is less good, so you want to preserve any joint as best you can,..I swim cycle kayak.....make sure you get copies of your blood test results my last surgeon lied to me about my cobalt and chromium levels.

I tried the gym but it really wasn't my scene, I felt very intimidated by the muscular 18 year olds in there.now I am about 20 lbs over weight which drives me batty. But such is life it could be worse. Take care of those joints,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.