Reflux

Posted , 10 users are following.

Who knew so many people out there suffer with reflux. I thought it had something to do with stress and maybe age related in women (menopausal) but there are really young people on here suffering. And it is that -suffering I have never felt so bad or had my life so impacted since having this.

I have tried omeprazole and Lansoprazole but the side effects were just too much so now I'm trying ranitidine which I've read is not as effective. Does ginger really help I'm willing to try anything to feel well again as right now I'm so low the doctor has prescribed anti depressants great more drugs with horrible side effects. Has anyone successfully come off the reflux drugs after a while?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi is it mainly acid coming up in to your throat that is causing you problems ? I used to have that a couple of years ago but now i get bloating and unable to eat large meals. The worst for me now is discomfort when swallowing in the upper chest area and between shoulder blades. I sometimes need to burp a lot to clear any pressure. I too thought it might be an age thing and am really fed up of it.  I reluctantly tried omeprazole but after a few days got distorted vision and ended up going to A & E thinking i might be going to have a stroke. They thought it was a reverse migrane ! I was told to stop taking the omeprazole as visual disturbance was listed on side effects.  Since then tried to manage with normal antacids, and windease tablets, but i am now waiting for an endoscope.  Ginger helps with trapped air, my mother swears by it. Sherbert which contains bicarb also helps with gas. If its mainly acid thats the problem avoid fat and spices, dont eat after 6pm and try to sleep on your left side. Also take a dose of gaviscon before bed to help stop the acid coming back up.
    • Posted

Bedtime ranitidine is much more efficient than gaviscon as it controls nocturnal acidity

If ur feeling well taking gaviscon then no need to step up but in case it stops controlling ur nocturnal acidity (lets hope not) then consider discussing bedtime ranitidine with ur healthcare provider

• Posted

Hi Frances

Its the burning feeling especially at night time and yes I think acid must come up my throat because I'm croaky in the mornings. I have tried all the normal things like no spicy food, cut out caffeine much less alcohol, low fat, not eating for 3 hours before bed and so on but I really feel its connected to emotions, whenever I feel stressed at work or in an emotional state its much worse.I have started to drink ginger tea to see if that helps a bit because I really don't want to stay on medication for a long period but right now I don't feel I have much choice. Do you get the burning feeling or is it more the trapped wind problem?

• Posted

Hi for a couple of years it was mainly burning but now its more trapped wind, bloating and discomfort in upper chest and back which is why i am waiting for the camera down the throat. Not looking forward to it but at least it may give me some answers as to why i am getting random pains in chest and ribs.
  • Posted

Hi yes I have been on same drugs as you and they make you feel worse !

now I control my reflux by diet and a couple of natural aids 

1 I take 2 pinenut oil gels a day 

2 I use soya milk ( almond coconut and unsweetened) but real milk in tea

3 milk thistle extract 20 drops in half pint cold water if I start  with a burn 

4 almond nuts seem to help 

5 I think that really thinking your are beating it helps .

6 i have cut out hot spicy food that I Love ( on a one off I have one and pay for it and use milk thistle and soya milk to help settle )

Chocolate is now once a week replaced with licorice.

7 drink plenty of water .

this seems to work for me no reflux for 3 months just heart burn if I don't behave myself .BUT...

everyone is different with different causes  for reflux at different levels of condition I have a 3mm hiatus hernia opening!

people say stay away from fizzy drinks  but I think not all ! carbonated water  I think can get you to belch  which exercises the sphinta and may even aid it to close tighter .

you need to find the foods that trigger burn and cut them down or if need be right out of your diet 

hope this help and good luck with it 

regards Trev

• Posted

Thank you I will try some of the natural things you mention and yes I think being positive will help but it's so hard when it hurts especially during the night. I hope these new tablets will work
    • Posted

pre bedtime, the two products mention often help some patients...DonClaudio on another forum at one time attempting to supress the nocturnal  acid from destroying his throat began using one or two tabs of Bismuth...then weened them over an extended period of time. He had a hiatial hernia. He claims it stopped this disorder...but..  he pretty much did what others have mentioned here on this thread  including head and shoulder elevation, not compressing the stomach after a meal, however he did state that   he hadn't tried the other two mentioned pre bedtime products. Others have used small non therapudic dosage of Melatonin 3mg for acid reduction, not for sleep.

And of course young people and their crazy diets.. University students..once they leave home cookings...the academic stress, the nutty wild diets (bedtimes with full stomachs of processed foods)...an interesting Beijing U study...females had less of a problem than males...the conclusion: ...better or diets similar to home cooking.

• Posted

Ranitidine is less effective than both

Have u taken ur meds as prescribed by ur dr? On empty stomach and to wait at least 30min before u eat. Have u told ur dr about ur side effects ??

What about lifestyle modifications?

Cutting down on Caffeine, juices, fatty meals, spicy foods, alcohol, smoking...

Stop eating at least 2-3 hours before sleeping

Consider eating smaller meals

Concerning ginger, they say it helps, but I have no idea to what extent. Try researching

smilesmile

• Posted

You are spot on with stress causes reflux. The news is there are dozens of us on here that have shed PPI's.
  • Posted

It appears that our problem is over all ages,  from youngsters in their 20s (I am nearly 70) to us old timers.       The one thing that does help me is Ginger Ale, it gives you a good burp.

I do eat Licorice but only because I rather like Licorice Allsorts.    I did not realise that was good for you.

This definitely appears to be a 21st century querk,   can it be all of these additives?

• Posted

Hi Yes I suffer with this, Which I think I have , I suffer alot from Burping and the soreness inside my throat, like an open sore inside my throat and it stings, almost like I have something stuck inside my throat. I surrer alot from vomiting from time to time ,and its not huge amounts that actually come out its small amounts and this only usually happens if I drink or eat. alot doesnt come out though just tiny bits. and Iv been suffering from this for over a month just about going on two months, Im awaiting for an endoscopy. I havent received an appointment or anything of the sort just a letter stating that they have confirmed an endoscopy which was sent out to me three weeks ago, and Im still waiting, I dont know whats taking them so long. It seems forever and a day. and its annoying cause the pain in the throat is the main thing that annoys me, like theres something stuck in my throat or like a stinging burning feeling.. Im hoping that if one of yous get an endoscopy that you can keep us updated and let us know what the outcome is. that is if youre willing to share information , they would help me understand what the diagnosis is and what I can do to prevent it or reduce it, I hope its not cancer'. cause that would upset me so much. Im on pantoprazole and there were other medciines they presrcibed me but its just too much I try stay away from it if I can help it. 
  • Posted

It may be a comfort to know what you describe is more common than you think.   If only someone , anyone, come up with an answer to this new problem that we are all suffering from.    I am sure you will get your appointment soon,  and just take it as a plus ,  if they thought you had anything dreadful you would have been in by now.
  • Posted

stress definately causes mine, ive been on esomeprazol for a while now with no effect, the symptoms were brought on back in 2014 by my mother having a big op and then me worrying about my own health etc etc, the ppi was having no effect so my GI doc gave me a prescription of Citalopram which is an anti-depressant, i'm on a low dose but it's done the trick after only 2 weeks of taking it. The symptoms have gone. I know this might not work for everyone but it's worth a try if the ppi's are not working.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.