reflux

Posted , 9 users are following.

Been having reflux for 3-4 months now.  ENT says he sees some reddness, but no signs of tumors or other problems.  I've been on omeprezole 40mg and ranitidine 300mg for this period.  Just saw him last week.  Says he still sees some reddness, but since it isn't acid reflux he didn't see any need to see a Gastroenterologist at this time.  To stay on current meds for another 3 mos.  I am currently on 5 mg of pred since beginning of July.  Started at 20mg April of 2015.  Not doing to badly.  I'm running competively and only have any real aches and pains for a few weeks each month when I taper.  Can pred or PMR cause this reflux.  Have also been doing pretty well on an antiinflammatory diet.  Just cheat on occassion.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Please share your anti-inflammatory diet. Are you taking any supplements? I cheat sometimes also. Thx
    • Posted

Hi Karen,  No supplements.  I eat a lot of salads, fruits, nuts, seeds and some beans.  Also cut out caffeine, sugar, candy, sodas, and most red meats.  Eat chicken and fish mostly with my salads.  It has kept my weight off while on pred.  I also do a lot of aerobic exercise which helps.
  • Posted

Look for side effects of  Omeprezole......I think it leeches calcium out of

our bones.   I took it for a while but went to 40mg of Famotidine after talking

with my doctor.....There are differences between these meds......check it out.

• Posted

Hi Faye,  I am also taking Ranitidine, which I looked up to be similar to Famotidine.  I do take calcium supplement due to the prednisone.  Might have to talk to my Dr. about combination and doses.
  • Posted

You run competitively??? With PMR??? WOW! That's impressive!

• Posted

I've been lucky.  I was always in good shape, so I've been able to continue with my exercising.  Haven't  had too many side effects from PMR or pred.  Been watching my diet pretty concientiously.  I run competively meaning that I do run road races and do well in my age group and not bad overall.

• Posted

Try this, instead of the the PPI omeprezole 40mg - MrsO told me about it and we passed it on to so many people and it worked for the majority.

I lemon (unwaxed) 1 minute in Microwave (more juice) divide into three and take with a little water before meals.

Somehow the acid in the lemon counteracts the other acid.  Eileen did explain it, but I have forgotten what was the explanation. 

• Posted

Oops, meant to add, squeeze lemon and discard the rest or grate the zest and add it to stews, salads etc.  Whole lemons also freeze and you can then grate the whole lot and use it all  - it is good for you.
    • Posted

I'll try the lemon juice, but it seems counter-intuitive that it would work.  Thanks for the tip.  Not clear whether to microwave whole lemon then cut into 3 pieces and squeeze juice from 1 piece with each meal?

• Posted

Quick google search and it seems that the overall effect on the body of lemon is alkaline because there are a lot of alkaline minerals in the fruit.  I don't know how that could possibly help neutralize stomach acid, however.  I'd like to see some proof of this before taking a chance.  

• Posted

I haven't had any acid reflux.  Just a feeling of congestion in my throat.  I will check out the use of lemon juice before trying it.

• Posted

Squeeze the whole leom and divide jiuce into three parts.  Discard the rest.

You can freeze whole lemons and then grate them and add to meals, ie sprinkle over salads and add to stews, curries etc.

• Posted

I don't know how it works, but I do know it works, it worked for MrsO, me and many others with acid reflux and not only for pmr people. 

• Posted

Ingo, I suggest you read up on silent acid reflux. Also, on this forum there is a topic with that in the title and lots of info from forum members. 

From this forum I discovered I have silent acid reflux. I can't get coated Pred in Canada but I have had a lot of relief by changing my diet and by putting my white Pred into plain gel capsules I get from my pharmacist. 

The lemon juice did not work for me as it burned my throat. I could probably give it another try it again now as my throat issues are much better. 

• Posted

I was prescribed Omeprezole, when on 30 mg of pred, and stayed on them until 8 mg. I put up with the side effects and eventually spoke to my GP who advised I stay on them but I insisted as I was on a low dose it was not quite so important so stopped.  I improved as far as my stomach was concerned and am now at 2 mg of pred and feeling fine.  But remember we are all different.
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice.  I'll talk to my PC next month.

• Posted

My doc was willing to give me script for Omeprezole but after

checking that is a PPI and works entirely different than the

OTC famotadine and ranitidine.....Omprezole leeches calcium

from your bones.   Eileen posted a while back that it is worse

than pred.for bones.   Try 40mg of famotadine, I did and it works for

me with much less side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.