Reflux oseaghitis can't get it under control

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I have been struggling with bad reflux now for 9 months had endoscopy showed grade 2 scarring 3 months ago still can't get it under control tried lanzoparole and omeprazole to no avail I am now taking esmaprazole for 4 weeks slightly improved but still feel it.To be honest worried about this barretts esoupagaus I suffer from Cfs aswell so think this is contributing in some way.i am awaiting results of barium swallow is there any advice on upping medication not sure if it's going to work to be honest any advice in general thanks

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

My doctor put me on nexium in the morning and zantac in the evening. But to be honest its not really helping. My stomach pain and gotten so bad i was taking three pills a day.Which my doctor didn't like but it was the only thing that helped. So i'd say try adding zantac or something similair in the evening and see if that helps. Good luck!
    • Posted

Hi thanks have tried that I just have to persevere going to holistic doctor I have found through out my battle with chronic fatigue medications are not the way they go against the physics of your body healing I actually feel better in some aspects but to be honest they are helping a little it's frustrating condition
  • Posted

Hi

Whilst PPIs like lansoprazole, omeprazole etc are excellent for reducing acid, they do nothing to stop reflux.

Barrett's needs reflux + acid + bile to develop. By reducing just one of these elements, you are reducing your risk of developing Barrett's.

However, Non-Erosive Reflux can also cause serious problems. Your CF may well be exacerbated by (even possibly attributable to) aspirated extra-oesophageal reflux (LPR) whic can be responsible for many respiratory disorders including pneumonia and bronchiectasis.

Unfortunately there is no simple drug solution to reduce reflux. If it cannot be managed by lifestyle chages, (lose weight if necessary, avoid tight clothes, avoid exercise that puts pressure on the abdomen after food (including bending), leave at least 3 hours between last meal and going to bed, raise the bedhead by 6 to 8 inches on blocks, sleep on your left side), the alternative is reflux reduction surgery.

• Posted

Thanks your information was helpfull is it true that it is better to take the anti acids with or after your tea ?just looked on another forum saying it works better I suppose it's all trial and error?
    • Posted

I'm not sure i just know you arent supposed to take them with in a hour of having milk or cream.. hope that helps
    • Posted

When you take antacids or acid suppressants depends on what you are taking.

Ordinary antacids like Rennie or Tums work instantly on acid already existing.

Alginates like Gaviscon also work by neutralising existing acid while forming a raft floating on stomach contents to reduce reflux and lining the oeosphagus to protect it.

H2 blockers like ranitidine (Zantac) should be taken pre-emptively. They block some of the messages that tell the stomach to make more acid.

PPIs like omeprazole or lansoprazole should be taken every day at the same time (best half an hour before breakfast). They are pre-emptive and their efficacy build up in the sytem over a few days.

• Posted

I've been taking PPI's for almost a year now. On my fourth one.. take nexium first thing in the morning and then have to wait one hour to eat and I take zantac in the evening about 30 minutes before dinner. not working wonders.. sometimes the pain is to bad and i eat a litte something before the hour is up... thanks for the information
    • Posted

I took PPIs for 15 years, increasing to 80mg omeprazole, prior to having Nissen fundoplication - now I'm med free.

It's not essential to wait an hour after taking it before eating. The suggestion of half to one hour before food is to ensure it reaches the duodenum to be absorbed there rather than break down in the stomach.

• Posted

Nissen fundoplication has been practice for 50 years - the last 30 laparoscopically (ie "keyhole" surgery).

The top part of the stomach (fundus) is wrapped arond the base of the oesophagus to enhance the lower oesophageal sphincter and reduce reflux.

My fundoplication 7 years ago was the best thing I ever did. It gave me my life back.

• Posted

Hi guys just out of curiosity has anyone had bowel problems I have leaky gut type symptoms this all happened for me at once after a infection ?
    • Posted

I have heard of this procedure just didn't know what it was called.thank you for the info.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.