Refused PIP - BPD, Bipolar and PTSD

Posted , 9 users are following.

So, in April, I applied for Personal Independence Payment. Simultaneously, I awarded Employment and Support Allowance. 

I have Borderline Personality Disorder, PTSD and Bipolar. Today, I received a letter to say I was awarded absolutely no points for anything. In my PIP form, I explained EVERYTHING. I get PTSD hallucinations that have been so scary that I nearly ended up in a few car accidents, dissociation causes me to lose track of everything, BPD mood swings drive me up the wall so much that I am unable to function normally because I am ecstatic one moment and scared and depressed the next.... I had to quit college because I could not be in a busy environment and could not handle the courses (I switched from one to another at the beginning of the year) among many other problems. My friends see what I struggle with on daily basis through Facebook messages. I dissociate during therapy sessions and am often very scared to be in session.

I could write about it all day. I had to get my social worker to fill in the form for me because I am unable to handle paperwork myself. 

My mum is urging me to appeal, but I am so mantally and emotionally drained that I am not sure if I should try. 

My physical ability to complete tasks depends on how I am feeling. I am contemplating quitting my dance classes because how ashamed and embarrassed I feel after this year's show. And during the last two years, I have texted my dance teacher to tell her I would not be in class that week because of I was feeling. This happened more in 2015 than 2014 (when I was first diagnosed.)

I don't know what to do. Any help would be much appreciated

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi do you see a phyciatrist to suport your case? or cpn at all ? Do you take alot of medication ? I had to appeal once for dla in which a doctor wrote me a letter that won the appeal for me to be awarded indefinate payments.. Iv been told I dnt need to worry about pip . Iv also heard pd isn't an illness as such for u to claim any benefits for .. ??

• Posted

I am on 50mg of antipsychotic. My therapist has supported my case. I don't know about my psychiatrists since I have not seen any of them in forever (I'll be seeing my private psychiatrist on Monday. And I will ask her for an additional supporting letter for my appeal.)

I might be taken off meds on Monday depending on how things go. People at A&E have increased my meds because of hallucinations, but I think its meds that are causuing it in the first place. 

Personality Disorders are considered a serious mental illness, especially BPD. But, we'll see how things go. I honestly can't work with how overwhelmed I get. And my mum can't help me out financially anymore with paying my sessions, as the NHS don't offer the therapy I am in. 

• Posted

Maybe because of the dose u are on.. people are on alot of med at very high dosage on here..for the same illnesses also pip is so hard to get on. Do u no your diagnosis with your doctor?
    • Posted

I was properly diagnosed by my private psychiatrist in 2015 as my NHS was constantly changing her mind regarding diagnosis, and worse, she reminded me of someone who abused me in the past and had flashbacks while I was around her.
    • Posted

Just make sure your prepared next time I'd say.. get letters off who has treated u for ur illness plus your dance teacher could also be of great help .. good luck

• Posted

Thanks! I am going to get an additional letter by both my therapist and my private psychiatrist.
  • Posted

Go for the appeal, I have heard many cases of people being successful. To recieve ESA or PIP evidence of previous regular manic episodes is what they are looking for in most cases. But more importantly, you should advise the DVLA and your insurance company of your condition, otherwise if you have an accident and hurt someone/yourself or worse, you will not be covered if they found out. I would lay off the driving untill you are better. Put everything else aside, like your dancing and FB (remember, what you put up may not just be seen by your friends, Government schemes often will look you up to find reasons not to pay) Try and look after yourself and seek more help, are you on any meds? Take it slowly, don't feel pressured to do things if your not up to it. Saying no is okay. Hope you feel better and find what you are after.

• Posted

I don't drive but take buses. I don't have health or life insurance yet (I am 19.)

I am on 50mg of an antipsychotic, that's all. I only have Messenger, and my FB profile is deactivated and I just talk with friends I trust (even though I might trust them a bit.) 

In my manic state, I was so happy to do my dancing and was constantly active and struggled to sleep because of flights of ideas, I was doing so many art commissions that I could not keep up. Now, I cannot even get one done without feeling like self harming. Dancing helps me in recovery, but I do feel so tired after 5 minutes in class and sometimes wish I could go home.

• Posted

I know what your going thru (not that it helps).

But, I am in the US...and I have BPD...and all the other things you mention along with physical disabilities...and they denied me benefits as well.

I'm like WHAT?  I meet all the criteria...I don't get it.

• Posted

I live in the US, so it's a little different here. But my son applied for Social Security Disability payments and was turned down. So I wrote to our sate senator, explaining the situation. After he got involved asking questions Social Security promptly reversed their original decision. If you can get a politician involved, that might help. They like to sometimes help out constituents (possibly hoping for a campaign contribution. Good luck.

• Posted

Go to a citizens advice bureau if you got any near you. They will help to appeal n give you advice. My husband had his filled out at one near us n he got awarded high of both

My daughter works in a psychiatric hospital and she knows that people in there with same illness as you get awarded it. Definitely appeal against the decision. Hope this has

helped you, Alicia xx

• Posted

Hi Alicia can I ask please does he still see a phyciatrist?
  • Posted

To sucessfully claim PIP you need to satisfy certain criteria. It helps to know what these criteria are, so you can use the right words when describing the effect your symptoms have on your everyday life. Remember you have got to be able to do the activity 'reliably, safely etc (look up the exact phrase at the beginnng of the PIP guidance notes).

The ME society has some really good guidance on filling out the PIP form.

Google: actionforme

I'll send a link in the next message else this message will be delayed whilst it is sent for moderation.

When I helped someone successfully apply for PIP, we wrote on separate sheets of paper, a detailed response to each question saying exactly what difficulties/pain were encountered in doing that activity. To score any points on an activity you need to have difficulty doing it for more than half the time. The suggestion to get citizens advice bureau involved is a good one.

• Posted

Definitely appeal and get as many back up letters (that confirm the affect your diagnoses gave on your life) as you can. The form/application is not about what illnesses and medications you have, but how they affect your life.

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system

This website really helped me to provide answers about my disability, in a way that they needed to be worded.

They really make us jump through hoops ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.