Rehab

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all, currently 3 weeks after my TRHR (in australia)

​Was in the hospital for 5 days before been transfered to a rehabilitation hospital for a 1wk 1/2. Here i had physio twice a day once in the morning and antoher in the afternoon. I must admit the physio was a great help but it made it harder having 2 young children at home watching them come and leave. It kind of got boring in the end.

​Currently been home for 6 days, with the husband and 2 kids (4yrs and 1yr), been going  back to the hospital for some gym physio and some hydrotheropy phsio in the pool. They have found that am tending to walk the same way i did before the surgery as this is what i was used to, am just hoping that this isnt going to hold me back from making good use out of my new hip.

​How is everyone else coping and what is your movment in your new hip like?

3 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nattie I'm 7 weeks post op and live in the UK. My leg was shorter than the other pre op and I walked with a limp because of this. After my op I was convinced that my legs were not the same length and walked the same as i did pre op. I have had to train myself to walk correctly with the help of my physio. I was advised to put my heel down on the floor and then my toe on my operated legwhich corrected my limp. You tend to walk a little on your toes especially if you are in pain.

I saw my surgeon this week who measured my legs which I am pleased to say are the same length.

Your walking will improve in time.Your physio should be able to help and advise you with this.

Best wishes

Sue x

• Posted

Just had TRHR in Norwich UK. Brilliant treatment in Tuesday 7am out Thursday 4pm (yesterday). In charge of my own physio. Quite happy.
  • Posted

Hi Nattie, 

Good to see you back here - I think you had a great start by staying in rehab for additional 10 days, especially with such young children - you needed that rest and also the motivation to do exercises -

It is easy to go back to the pre-op trot - this is going to be a whole new way of walking darling - walking properly now -

do you have good shoes????  I made a big mistake by using pre-op shoes, in spite of the advice given here on the forum - one learns by trial and error -

you sound great !!!!  remember that you had major surgery and a lot of healing is taking place - be carefeul, mindful and  gentle to yourself - 

big warm hug from Holland

renee

• Posted

I would add to that to check your shoes - i had different leg lengths pre op although now they are the same - when i checked my preop shoes they were badly worn down on one side , even flats - i used to have a dreadful limp , now gone . Initially i had a lot of back and other hip pain from forcing myself to walk straight but it is slowly resolving - I,m still using a stick outdoors for longer walks and keep swtiching sides . I was told if you take deliberately longer strides it helps get rid of the limp , i have thought about getting walking poles for longer walks as I think I would manage them in a more co- ordinated way ! Xx
  • Posted

5days?!!! I am having a RTHR and will be released the next morning. Mine is may 4th. Keep us posted on your recovery smile

• Posted

hi nattie I had my second hip replacement 18months ago ( right leg )

left leg replacement 4 years ago.My mobility is still very bad and I have to use 2 sticks to walk.I have pain in the buttocks and lower back. My consultant discharged me early this year , I have requested to be refered back to him again as I am having great difficulty with coming to terms with the out come of these operations .My doctor siad that I could have a hamstring injury ?

at the time of operation I was given an epidural injection, which was quite painful.

up to 4 years ago I was a qualified nurse and walking very well, my symptoms prior to the first hip replacement was pain in the groin.my leg is now shorter than the other and have to wear orthopeadic shoe on the right leg.At the time of email I am trying to cope with the disability.

• Posted

Hi nattie staying in rehab for that extra time would be good for you, get the worst out of the way before going home.

I have had my first day today, with no limping at all, I'm 10 weeks and I was chuffed when I got home.I limped for 6yr before so think, it's held me back a little there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.