Happy New Year. Is there anyone out there that has

Had relief from this condition ? Is this linked

to fibromyalgia?

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Simone, 

After nearly 9 years I have finally found some relief from Tietze's syndrome (similiar to costochondritis). I had a course of accupuncture and have now been almost pain free since October. I still have a few aches here and there but nothing like it was before. I'd definetly recommend giving it a go!

Happy new year!

Gemma 

• Posted

I agree.  I was hit with this last year.  Went to a highly recommended Osteopath who worked on my ribs.  I think I went twice for that.  You do need to find a good one, not run of the mill, as they say.  It is not cheap.  But.  An osteopath treatment is a couple of times and you are done.  Chiropractic care goes on and on and has its place but not necessarily here.  And think of time involved with multiple visits.
    • Posted

Hello . Did you have problems with deep breathing from time to time with your condition ? Like did it feel like a chest strain at times?
    • Posted

Hello I sent th message to the wrong person . I meant to send this you. Did you ever have a strained chest feeling with deep breathing with this condition ?
    • Posted

Hi Simon,

Yes I did, at times I found it really difficult to breath deeply especially when that pain was at its most intense.

Gemma

• Posted

Did doctors give you a battery of test before they diagnosed you with this condition ?

I ask because I have taken several exams . My primary care doctor has not

Come out and said Costo however I have taken all sort of exams all coming back negative ( thankfully ) but I feel like he is looking at me like it's all in my head type of thing . Which we all

Know it's not .

• Posted

Hi Simone

Mine was diagnosed after the second of 3 operations. My cartilage like to break off and float around when it's been swollen and painful. (Although this isn't typical of tietzes syndrome or Costochodritis). I've heard of a lot of people being diagnosed after numerous tests ruling out other conditions. In my experience, some doctors have made me feel as though it's all in my head- which made me feel even worse about the whole situation, but eventually you find the ones who know what they're talking about and go above and beyond yo help.

Gemma

• Posted

Yes, cuts off my breathing a bit now and then.  Which is why they start checking your heart, etc.  And it's a bit scary, so you have to tell yourself you are fine, and relax.  I found Heat better than ice, but each is different.  And don't overdo it lifting etc.  I am moving to avoid this.  Have things in storage, and going to lift storage boxes off shelves 6 ft high is insane, and likely what helped trigger it all.  Will have everything together and no storage fees.  

• Posted

This forum has helped me

Out tremendously! Like

I have gathered more

Support from the past two months than the past two years that I have been dealing with

This . It's insane . I try to not complain too often to family members but when the

Condition flares it can make you feel so panicked . I now know that I have to try to relax and you are so right heat does help.

• Posted

This

Forum has helped me

Tremendously. I feel like my doctor

Is looking at

Me like I am a quack . He says is anxiety all the time. And yes this does give you anxiety

Especially when you feel a constricted feeling across the chest or difficulty breathing. Unreal .

• Posted

Simone I would try a pain clinic, they seem to know about quite a few different bone disorders.  I just went to a clinic last week for the first time and they knew all about Costo & Tietze (I have this).  They gave me a nerve block in the back rib area because that's where the nerves branch out from.  I have a lot of muscles spasms because the lump on the sternum from Tietze has messed up the nerves.  So far so good smile Next time they will have to do both sides but if it's going to help it's worth it.  Good luck in finding the right doctor and treatment.

• Posted

Hello . Does it sometimes or did it sometimes hurt when you breathed ?
    • Posted

Yes it does, the clinic told me it was because this is a chest wall injury.  So it will be inflamed from breathing or coughing or sneezing.  One way to tell if you having heart or lung problems is to check blood pressure, pulse and O2.  Some people have these at home, so when you are having issues check your vital.  If any of those are not right go to the ER.
    • Posted

Yeah well my bp is

Ok had it checked at doctor but truthfully this condition when you are feeling this way brings on anxiety . that will make

Your heart beat faster too etc . It's a tricky

Thing .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.