removal of outer lining of lung

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi my name is Patrick, i had a spontanious pneumothorax 3 times in a month and i went under surgery in united kindom for the removal of the pleural from my left lung and had my lung stuck to the chest wall. that was 20 years ago.I visited the surgen 6 months after the opperation and he said i could have a normal life excluding using artifiticial respiration, I wish to know what did he mean by artificial respiration.

Please answer me back

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Patrick,

I also had the operation and its also 20 years ago now. How do you feel? I think he meant you might need to use oxygen later in life, maybe? I know that I have developed some problems with my breathing that make me feel like I am in a panic attack but I have many solutions that I can share with you, if you want. Cheers, Daragh

• Posted

Hi I don't have any problems since my op the only thing is that I have a tingling feeling when I touch my scar , I still smoke approx 10 fags a day , I go jogging 4kms once every 3 days and do cycling once and again minimum 30kms .ive never heard any one who has had my kind of surgery saying that in the future oxygen will be a must as you have commented and I have never experienced any panic attacks ever , so what it really bothers me is that why can't i do scuba diving or any kind of sport using artificial respiration? 
    • Posted

Patrick, Hi!

I misunderstood - I see the doctor meant that normal exlcusing the use of oxygen tanks etc, right! But, dood, smoking and pneumo, not a good combination. I had trouble with smoking for years and now, thank god its under control but I do attribute my lungs issues now with smoking on and off my whole life. Its the one thing I think we should - no one - should do comfortably in their life. its total poison and for the lungs, man, when I cant reach the breath I need when cycling hard or swimming Its not the pneumo I blame but the fags! Cheers, Daragh

• Posted

Hey guys,

I had the surgery last week and I am wondering if you had some prolonged numbness / skin-sensitivity after the operation?

If yes, how long before it went away?

Thank you!

• Posted

Is it still highly disturbing or do you live without even noticing? I'd be glad to hear more details from you. Thanks!
  • Posted

I am in the USA.  Had the surgery 30 years ago - stapled off top of upper lobe and then did the pleural abrasion.  Both lungs done.  Had to have some follow up work done to the scars, as they were painful. 

No no problems for many years, but over past 5 years or so, have had a few episodes of excruciating pain, causing inability to function for days or weeks.  The only thing the doctors can figure out is that the scar tissue between the lung and chest wall gets pulled and irritated.  My current bout started with my playing water volleyball.  Made worse by sneezing and coughing from allergies.  

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Other than this, I have had no problems and a totally normal life.  The only things my doctor told me not to do:  scuba diving, flying in non-pressurized aircraft and becoming a professional singer of high notes.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.