Reoccurring shingles / strange pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am a 46 year old female who has had constant reoccurring shingles since i was 28. My first bout with them was when I was 21. I had the terrible rash on one side of my face and was very sick. Since then I get out breaks on my ear and chin. And 4 times in my eye. I have had them over 50 times. The thing I don't understand is the pain.

I get burning pain on both sides of my spine as well ass my sacrum along with horrible pain in the arches of both feet. Without a rash.

I am currently having a bout. It just popped up in only my left eye but as always the pain in my feet, sacrum and spine is excruciating. I feel awful like I have the flu.I eat very well and I am a yoga teacher. All of this helps but not enough. Doctor's really don't understand this disease. I've been to so many.. anyone have pain like this or a similar experience? I am terribly frustrated..????

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,can you tell  me more about the shingles in your eye? I had this last March and have had really bad itching for the last few months,My eye gets very red and sore, despite various eye drops from the eye clinic.I worry about my vision in the futire if this continues,Did you have this problem?
    • Posted

Hey Jane,

So I got pain and sensitivity in my eye about a month after my first bout with full blown shingles. The light sensitivity was the worse. But I also started to get blurry vusion.

I was in college and didn't have medical so I waited until I got back to go to the Doctor. By the time I went in I couldn't see anything at all in my eye. The shingles had damaged the nerves badly. It took a month of serious eye drops every two hours as well as anti viral meds to get clear it. I almost lost my sight for good in one eye. It ended up being fine.

When it's reoccurred I go right to the eye Doctor and get it taken care of.

I got in in my eye a few days ago. And the inflammation is fine now and I can see out of it again. God does it hurt tho. Sound like something you have?

• Posted

Hi Kristen,

I have no pain in my actual eye, but the itching in the socket and my eybrow is terrible, somtimes keeping me awake at night,which then means I rub it more and so then my eye is even more sore!! My eyelid does get very sore too.

I was told in August to go back in 3 months, so still have a month to wait for myappointment,but if my eye is red (as it is today!) I will go to the eye casualty clinic which is open on aMOnday atmylocal hospital.. This has goneon for months now, itreally getsme dowm,Thank youfor reassuring me though about the vision, I havebeen told it is fine but worry that the longer my eye goes red the more likely it might damage my eye.I need to ask at my next appointment.

During the  time I had the shingles, I too had blurred vision and then sensitivity to light for ages! I couldn't see properly from the bad eye for almost an hour of waking, and always wear sunglasses now to protect my eyes  whenever it's bright or sunny! I have various eye drops, one is a steroid, but nothing seems to help!!!

• Posted

Jane,

It sounds like the shingles are trying to come out your eye but just haven't. This has happened to me. You need to go to a good opthomoligist and tell them you have reoccurring shingles. Are you on an antiviral ?

• Posted

Kristen,

How do you decide when to start your antiviral? Sometimes I start with feeling very heavy and lethargic with mild pain and tingly skin. I know it's related to the shingles because sometimes this feeling leads to the worse pain and rash, however sometimes it does not. I can't decide if I should just start the antiviral right at the first symptom, or if that is jumping the gun???? Any thoughts?

• Posted

Hey Michelle,

I take mine when I feel tingling. But I have other symptoms all the time. I'' really not sure what the best thing is.

Sorry 😐

• Posted

Thanks, it helps to know that I am not the only one that is feeling some kind of symptom a lot of the time!
  • Posted

YES!!! I have been having bouts for the last 3 years, but I do not always get the rash. I tend to have neck and upper back along with either a headache or a mild nausea and fatigue when the pain increases. I also eat a healthy diet. Completely avoiding chocolate and nuts, and do yoga and/or Pilates daily. I agree this all has helped, but my goal is to eliminate completely!!! I'm trying a ND's recommendation of increased daily vit c and other supplements that is suppose to fight this virus off.i am almost 2 mo into this and she is saying I should not expect changes for approximate 3-4 mo, for that is what time it takes to make shifts in your body. Note: Merry, a NP, on this site warned me that vit c over 2000mg a day and red marine algae can cause kidney stones, so I am praying I don't start experiencing that😩 I hope this helps. So sorry for your suffering.

• Posted

PS; I forgot to say during my bouts my feet get very hot and sensitive. I am 44, and some of the symptoms I have can be related to peri menapause, so I am always confused with what is from the shingles virus and what could be do to other changes that happen as we grow older. But, it is too coincidental that my feet are always sensitive while I am either having a rash and/or neck and back pain, and tingly skin.
    • Posted

Thank you Michelle. I tend to kick it into remission for a few months at a time. But my pain and fatigue always come back. I am always looking to understand this disease more. thanks for taking the time to reply. Hope you are having more good days than bad! 😊

• Posted

I'm not sure how I kick it into remission. God I wish I did. I spend so much time trying to figure this disease out it's maddening.

😞

• Posted

Yes, me too!!! I'll be sure and let you know how my supplement regimen goes. Take care??

• Posted

I break out on my hip and shin, I also have experienced shooting pain up my back and down into my feet. My doctor said that made sense due to it following the lines of nerves.

At one point I was breaking out once a month, it seemed to be linked to my monthly cycle.

I found that taking a daily B12 vitamin helped with the nerve pain/damage. I don't break out as much, it seems my body has begun to build up an immunity to the virus.

• Posted

Also I rarely have a rash with my breakouts anymore, it is usually just sensitive/burning skin, shooting pain, severe headaches and nausea. I also get extremely exhausted sometimes to the point of sleeping for a day or two.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for replying.

I have never been told the nerves run to my feet. And has been so confusing. That makes a lot of sense 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.