Repeat Colonoscopy with Supported Anaesthetic?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I recently underwent a colonoscopy procedure, but it had to be aborted because of the pain I experienced during. According to my notes, I had 100ug of Fentanyl and 5mg of Midazolam. I have been scheduled another with 'supported anaesthetic' on the 3rd November.

I'm really anxious about it because, having been told that I won't be put to sleep, just under a very deep sedation, I fear that the sedation won't do anything other than make me a bit 'out of it' while also experiencing the same pain as last time - which was honestly the worst pain of my life, despite giving birth and going through some pretty painful dental problems.

The consultant said the pain was probably due to my small frame, therefore my intestines being somewhat crompressed, so given that I haven't suddenly expanded in width i the past 6 weeks, I'm guessing it will be the same this time too (I didn't have any pain or inflammation beforehand that would be accountable) 

I've been told that they will basically 'see how things go' this time, only with the support of an anaesthetist in the room who can 'up' the sedation to 20mg instead of the 5 that the nurses are authorised to administer.

I just feel like this is going to be a waste of time and will have to be aborted again, so if anyone has any advice or has been through similar, I'd really like to hear about it.

Thank you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I got told after they aborted first colonoscopy that my bowel was small and they would use child one, which they did the next tine plus the sedation I had gas and air and it was still painful they still went ahead with it, never again will I be awake and top it all thus was done in May results I get in December, how wrong us that!!!
    • Posted

That's worrying isn't it? Were you sedated Lilley? Or did you just have gas and air?
  • Posted

Had sedation which has no effect on me and gas and air,  they really need to listen to the patient!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.