rerupture - achilles tendon

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I went the conservative, non-surgery route for my Achillies rupture based on my doctor's recommendations and I am very nervous about rerupturing.  Has anyone reruptured their Achilles during recovery.  If so how did it happen and how far along were you?  Any input is appreciated!  

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi I completely tore my left achiellis 5 years ago and went no Surgury for that one as well as this time right leg ?? ( 4 weeks post injury)

I have never had a problems with my left recovery nd are hoping the right one now will be the same. I will never go back to sports as I did both playing squash. I am about to add a new member to the family late October, a German Shepard puppy and walking her will be the extent of my exercise from here on in.

I read so many more bad then good about surgery complication with healing etc and happy to say I feel I choose the right way for me as I just didn't want to extra stress worrying about that as well.

Pretty much keep the boot on as much as possible and I think we all will recover well in time.

• Posted

Thanks for the input!  I'm glad your first one has healed well and congrats on the upcoming puppy.  I can't wait to walk again!!! I am also about 3-4 weeks out - today is the 3rd day in the boot and I have my first phsycial therapy appointment on Tuesday.  How much time are you taking off work?

• Posted

Hi I have my first appointment on Wednesday with ortho since first since first seeing him day after injury happened. Hoping that he will progress me onto physio asap to get things moving along.

I have been putting a little weight on leg last few days as I feel good but I know my limits.

As for work, I only work casual as a bank teller so I will stay home until I am able to get around a lot easier and with no swelling etc from walking on leg. I know a lot of people can return to work and elevate leg but kinda not possible for me sitting at a tellers desk lol

I am prob thinking it will be about the 2 month mark before I go back to work.

How you find being in the boot ? A lot better ?

• Posted

Day 1 with the boot felt so good I think I over did it because at the end of the day my foot was pretty swollen.  Now that it has been a few days I am getting used to it and while around the house I try to put a small amount of weight on it.  I also try to push down on it a bit when I am sitting.  I also use it for balance when standing.  The first few days it felt like my Achilles Tendon was stretching which is hopefully a good sign.  When I take my boot off to shower or to ice it I get pretty bummed by how weak my ankle and calf are.  Hopefully I will start to see some progress...I start physical therapy tomorrow.  That will also help me figure out when I go back to work.  I am a teacher and school officially start this Thursday. =(
  • Posted

2 years down the road after conservative treatment of a rupture, age 66, walking is fine, treadmill and cross trainer is fine. Still a bit weak in the calf muscle though, and can only just do a tow stand. The tendon seems fine but the muscle will never be 100%, but its not a problem
  • Posted

I had a full rupture on may 1st this year playing rugby. I was advised to go with the non operative route. Was discharged from consultant last week with him saying I could start training in January. See physio every other week and am up to light jogging.

I read up a lot and I think everyone is different so it really depends on you.

As soon as I was in a boot and able to walk with it I was gone doing as much as I could which I think helped.

• Posted

That's awesome thanks for sharing!  I can't wait to start walking in my boot - it's been on for a few days now and I am only putting a little bit of weight on it right now.  Hopefully I'll start to see some progress - it has been so slow!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.