Research shows core decompression is a bad idea

Posted , 3 users are following.

When I'm not helping son with his books and papers for his graduate work, I've been searching for anecdotal evidence on the success rate of this procedure for AVN. 

What i've found is surgeons often find more damage than the MRI shows, which means the procedure has less chance of being effective. It takes 2 hours for the procedure versus 45 minutes to an hour for THR. Many surgeons refuse to do it. Being pain free can last as little as one or two months or as long as five years, but the average time seems to be one year or 18 months before you need THR. 

I haven't told son yet about what I've found, but I'll have to. He is having a really rough time. He went to a meeting on campus and was already tired, but agreed to go to a gathering. He's going to come back exhausted.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi dear Soos, 

Oh dear ... I am not sure what to say ... Do you trust his surgeon? Can he get a second opinion? 

Would having a total hip replacement be better then?  

There is so much information out there and I know from myself that I can drive myself bunkers !!!!   with small things, like are egss good for me or something (I love egss and eat them daily !! - just saying) 

If possible, darling , maybe you wait discussing this with him since he already is having a rough time ??? 

I so wish I could help you more 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Aloha, Renee - I AM going to wait to hear back from my nurse friend who said she'll try to bump into orthos. And my friend with the physical therapist who has firsthand experience with patients who've had THR, core decompression and resurfacing. 

Do we trust the surgeon? It is son's opinion that surgeons are merely body mechanics who fix our tires. So this one has fixed one tire very well. And he is probably optimistic in saying 60% success. Because who knows what he'll find in there? The general evidence of results is not good.

I will post something I found and just told son about. An alternative.

Mahalo for your support, Renee. Take care.

• Posted

Hi Soos,

So sorry that AVN is not what expected. There unfortunately is no other way than THR . Many studies over the years on many alternatives to THR have either failed or caused more damage to the hip joint. 

In my case THR could not be avoided. I tried to find many alternatives. No luck always warned not to wait to long. Be safe & careful that to much time waiting for THR can also put the patient at risk for less bone stock for the surgeon, due to necrosis, pseudo tumors due to OA and more complications in recovery. 

Keep in touch,its a tough decision.  Let me know how it works out for you.

Peace, love & laughter for u and ur son.

H4C

• Posted

OMG, Hope. You know so much - I guess you've learned it on your journey. Did I read you've had THREE THRs? And you've only got 2 hips. 

Here's the thng - at this point he does not have pain in the right hip. But we know how fast that can change in 3 months, right? Maybe even in ONE month. sigh.

He was saying right after the MRI, "I wish I could just get the other THR and be done with it."

And that really WOULD be the best thing.

Thanks for your good wishes, Hope. Be well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.