Residual effects of Salmonella

Posted , 3 users are following.

My husband recently had a chest infection that wasn't treated. We then went away to Turkey and by the time he came back he felt absolutely dreadful and which was later diagnosed as Salmonella. The two are not related except that he was perhaps more vulnerable than usual to infection. However, the diarrhoea has stopped but he still has a persistant dry cough and aching joints plus no appetite. Any advice would be appreciated as the dr said 'ride it out'. Thank you. 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I know what the doctor is saying...he needs to take it slow and rest let the body heal.....it will take time.
  • Posted

did you make any tests through his doctor? at least blood and stool

to see what going on.

• Posted

Yes it was the stool sample that revealed he had Salmonella. I don't think any blood tests were done. I understand that this infection can cause pain in the joints, but where does the dry cough fit in? Sometimes he coughs so much it's as though he's going to be sick. I'm just wondering if this can develop into something more and I'm not convinced the drs have given it enough attention. Incidentally, my husband is a normally well man who never, ever goes to the dr or takes time off work. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.