Retinal vein occlusion

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I am 42 and woke up with blurred vision in my right eye about 2 and half weeks ago. 2 weeks ago I went to my optician who referred me that day to the hospital, since then I have been diagnosed with BRVO (branch retinal vein occlusion) as I don't have hypertension, high cholesterol, diabetes, don't smoke or have not had a head injury, I have had lots of bloods done for lupus, thrombolphila etc. today I am off the hospital to have a fluorescein angiography has anyone had one of these??? Then in a week or 2 I will go to see the ophthalmologist for results and treatment or prevention. Has this happened to anyone else as I am worrying myself silly over my eyesight.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I was wondering how you are now? I see the post is over a year old, but I also have been diagnosed with an occlusion in back of left eye after visit to opticians, and am waiting for my referral to hospital.
  • Posted

Hi Shelley, Julie and anyone else with RVOs!

i'd be interested to hear if anyone else is going through the delights of RVO and the subsequent trips to the eye clinic.

i had my first, back in the eighties, which was blamed on the Pill, then the next, in the other eye, was five years ago and I was told by the consultant " well if you do choose to live a stressful life..."  And now, I've had one in my left eye again.  I am going to the optician's on Tuesday, but as last time, I had loads of appts and tests, just to be told it was my choice and there was nothing that could be done, I am not looking forward to it!  Would be very interested to hear how you got on, Shelley and Julie, and if anyone else is going through it.

• Posted

Hello folks! I myself was diagnosed with BRVO about a year ago. I remember the exact point when it happened, no pain it was almost like I had caught a camera flash out in my peripheral vision and I noticed a grey area shaped like Italy on my right eye. I was outside at the time and figured maybe a bright light like a fog light from a car or a kid with a laser pointer had caught my eye.

After a few days it didn't go away and I started to freak out big time and went to the opticians who photographed the back of my eye and immediately referred me to the eye department in the hospital. After various tests including the fluorescein angiography where they inject you with fluorescent dye and examine the back of your eye (it was personally a horrible experience with me, I'll elaborate if anyone is interested) they diagnosed me with the branch retinal vein occlusion

I was put on anti clotting medication and a statin which I'm still on today, but they still don't know what caused it. Never smoked, cholesterol wasn't bad, no head injury, complete mystery!

• Posted

Hi, it was suggested that I take a coated baby aspirin a day, and check my blood pressure regularly.  I am already on blood pressure meds and was prescribed additional meds to keep BP in check.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.