Retinitis Pigmentosa treatment?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

My brother is suffering from this retina problem - Retinitis Pigmentosa. His vision is deteriorating slowly. Peripheral vision is almost gone. Central vision is fortunately there still. Can you please let me know if there are any successful treatments to recover the lost vision. How successful has the Bionic eye been or any other treatment? Thankyou 

3 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Have you read up on this topic?  I was just looking at the article on the Bionic Eye

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/blind-man-sees-for-first-time-with-bionic-eye/

• Posted

Hello mrsmop,

Thanks a lot for your responses!!

We have already checked a few articles about bionic eye. I wanted to hear from a doctor or someone about how successful it is today and if my brother can be treated with it for his eye condition. 

Hoping to get an answer to that from someone smile

Thanks for your help!!

• Posted

Have you tried Google Scholar?  You get different results there
  • Posted

Hi,

To my knowledge nothing can he done to save the process. But I speak of going back 20 years ago. So maybe some medical cure has beenfound. If your brother was diagnosed he should of been told what to expect and how they would be looking after him if a youngster then a parent or adult would of been given the info. I would recommend you contact the blind association who would have all the relative information, they should be able to help you. I feel for you and your brother as this is a hard time for you both. I hope you are able to discuss this with other family members. I hope that th can get the help you need to get through this.

• Posted

Hello janet,

Thanks for your response!!

We have consulted a lot of doctors so far here in India. There does not seem to be any 100% successful treatment to the problem. However, we have got guidance on what can be done to slow down the deterioration.

Thanks for your wishes!!

• Posted

Do see if you have an association for the blind, because if you are unable to stop the blindness at least you could be prepared to get your brother all the help he needs.

Both my son's went blind and was grateful for all the help I could get, also you have an in-site into what it will be like for your brother. I am assuming that you would have a blind association in India. Please let me know how you get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.