Retraining colon

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

Background:

I have had 5 years of constant diarrhea 6-20+ times a day. After extensive testing, there was no real answers. Eventually i found the right dr and I was diagnosed with endometriosis. I had severe adhesions attached from my uterus to my bowel and as a result had a hystorectomy 2 months ago.

Since then my bowels have been progressively inproving and i now go normally once a day. I am having some pain afterwards which i feel is probably due to the muscles being sore now they have started to work properly again.

Has anyone been in this situation? Did it improve? Is there anything i can do to help it along?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have at age 19....time.

Rest, relax, and be patient. Your body has been through quite an ordeal.

Do activities you enjoy, visit friends, read a book....it does completely heal.

hugs

• Posted

Hi Karen. mine is a similar story to yours. i have diagnosed bowel & digestive conditions last 4+ years. but since may i have been having chronic bowel problems again & endured many investigative procedures & my gastroenterologist is still at a loss & has referred me himself for a 2nd opinion at another hospital in our region.

when i read your post, it made me think. i have been having irregular prolonged menstrual bleeding for the last 2yrs & have this entered my perimenopause phase. i recently had a transvaginal ultrasound to investigate the prolonged bleeding (along with more pronounced pelvic/back pain last 6mths), & it showed my womb lining to be too thick at 11mm, & that 2 of the layers in uterus appeared to be merged. i have seen a gynae couple of weeks ago, & she has referred me for a hysteroscopy with biopsies. anyway, your post made me think could my bowel problems & gynae issue be connected - ie endometriosis???

i am currently on "band aid" meds to slow my bowels down & in turn reduce the pain that would get worse with the more bowel movements i have in a day while the gastro at another hospital takes another look at my case. i tend to bleed menstrually about 2-3wks out of every 4. i do notice when i have a bowel movement i get more menstrual blood at the same time. my lower ab is constantly bloated, so probably puts a bit of pressure on uterus.  i just wondered your opinion, & how they found out about the adhesions (ie what tests).

thankyou in advance. x

• Posted

Hi.

Sounds very possible that endo could be playing a part. I had significsnt prolonged bleeding too which made it difficult to find any kind of pattern in my symptoms.

The endo and adhesions were diagnosed during a laproscopy in 2015. They cleaned them up at the time and I had a short period of relief before the symptoms returned. By October this yesr when i went back i had an adhesion from my bladder to my uterus, uterus to bowel and my ovaries were stuck to my abdominal wall.

I think it is definitly worth asking for a laproscopy. Even if they dont find any endo it will give them another angle to look at your bowel.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thankyou for the info Karen. whichever comes first who i see next gynae or gastro, i will mention this possibility to them. I would've never connected them until i read your post.

many thanks, & i hope you carry on healing & your pain lessens. x

• Posted

Thats ok. Happy to answer any more questions you may have.

Just be aware that if you ask a gastro there is a fair chance they will deny that there could be a link. Most women take 8 years + to get a proper diagnosis and this is one of the reasons why.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.