Return of dermatitis herpetiformis

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi there. I am new to any forums. I was diagnosed in 1998 and since going GF symptoms mostly disappeared including skin feeling permanantly itchy and dermatitis herpetiformis in places.. I did not have many gut problems but mostly joint pain, and what my family called my 'fogs' where I was so exhausted and dizzy that I had to lie down and also had bad headaches. I was first diagnosed as having ME but after a while a new GP advised me to be tested for Coeliac disease as he said he recognised my symptoms from a previous patient. Tests were positive and it was fantastic how quickly I recovered and have managed it well since then. However, recently the itchy feelings all over my skin have returned and also the dermatitis herpetiformis is back in the same places mostly on my head. As far as I know I have not had any food that is not GF but I have also been having bad headaches again. Has anybody had similar experiences and found a hidden source of gluten ? I do eat GF porridge every morning but have been doing this for 2 years since I first discovered it and use water to make it and add fruit. The symtoms have only appeared again in the last 2-3 weeks. Would be glad of any ideas.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I found I could eat oats after a year but if I have more than one bowl a week I get symptoms. Some celiecs just can't tolerate oats. I have also found I've developed more allergies, peanuts make me itch, eggs cause inflamation and diary causes tiredness so I've cut those out as well and feel loads better. I also love crisps and react to Walkers if I eat them. Cross contamination in toasters, butter, pans is a something to watch. Hope you find the cause soon. I did a York test, expensive but the results really helped me to remove other food allergies out of my diet. Good Luck
  • Posted

It seems to me too that the likeliest problem is with the porridge. Surely you are using guaranteed gluten-free oats, if any? Provided that they are specifically GF, I have found oats very safe, though I don't eat it regularly. Also please make sure that you are not eating (or drinking) anything that may contain malt extract.

Another thing to consider is that you may have CFS/ME (chronic fatigue syndrome for those who don't know) at the same time. When you first got better after starting GF diet, one big stress factor to your body was removed, and you also recovered from CFS. If you have recently felt particularly stressed or been in low moods, this could have triggered your CFS/ME symptoms again.

I'm saying this because I was diagnosed with coeliac disease first and then 15 - 20 years later I also developed CFS. In any case, the symptoms you discribed, extreme fatigue, joint pain, brain fog, fit very well to a CFS diagnosis. CFS is a primarily neurological disease with autoimmune disease features, so it can be linked with coeliac disease.

• Posted

I'm not good with oats too often either, even GF ones, so I limit them to very occasional.
  • Posted

HI I just wanted to advise that the symptoms you have described are exactly how I have felt. I have some of the stomach issues but they are only mild. I have had the DH I think for about 20 years and assume the CD for the same amount of time. I was diagnosed 3 years ago and thought that the rash would disappear when I went GF. It didn't in fact it changed, whereas I mainly had it on my knees, elbows and top of my back it went over my hips and buttocks as well. I have been taking 1 x 50 mg dapsone to control the DH every week. After 3 years of being GF I also didn't feel any better than before the diet and in some ways felt worse. I also suffer from terrible headaches and have to take sumatripan to get rid of them, paracetamols simply don't work on their own. I have spent the last 3 years trying to work out why I didn't feel better and why I still had this terrible rash, keeping diaries etc and really getting very frustrated with it all. My family have gone GF as well due to the cross contamination issue and I haven't eaten oats, anything with barley malt or codex wheat starch. Last month I stopped drinking milk, I still have butter and I have noticed a huge difference in both my wellbeing and my rash. I know we are all different but thought I would mention it to you, it only took me a week to think that the rash had got better.
  • Posted

Many Coeliacs have a problem with cows milk for at least a year after diagnosis....I use Tesco Organic Soya milk instead and have done for years now - I find the unsweetened one is nicest. I can tolerate a little cow's milk now but find I am better avoiding it as much as possible. Assume you use the Coeliac Food Directory when shopping to ensure you are buying only gluten free products?.. as much as possible that is - there are still occasions when products are contaminated ,,,cause us problems for a week or so and we never know why!! Sometimes it tells you of this on Coeliac UK website or via the FSA website - you can sign up to it for notifications....
  • Posted

Hi

If you join Coeliac Uk they have info re oats.... If you have them they need to be GF i.e. uncontaminated. Even so though there is a component in oats that is very similar to gluten that I cannot remember the name of which some coeliacs apparently cannot tolerate.....

Tiredness - vitam D deficiency or pernicious anaemia (B12 issues)??

• Posted

Just a thought bu have you ever had your Thyroid checked out.  Some of the autoimmune systems are very camparable with underactive thyroid problems, which can make you very ill if undetected for years.
  • Posted

I agree with everyone talking about oats.  I have recently come off all gluten which has cleared up awful migraines, lack of energy etc.  However, now if I eat gluten I get dermatitis herpetiformis on my arms, chest, neck and stomach as well as getting an instant migraine and aching up my spine and back.  I have also discovered that I get the migraine and aching, but not the rash if I eat oats (even if they are GF oats or GF oat flour).  I would avoid the oats altogether (they also give my daughter who is coeliacs, similar problems).
    • Posted

Thank you for your comment. I gave up GF oats a while ago.

I had cut them down and noticed an improvement so gave them up completely. I saw a different brand of GF ones so decided to give them a go. Within a couple of days I had a small rash on my forehead ( new place for me as I used to have it in my hair.) It really isn't worth it. I can live without porridge for my breakfast and now eating milled organic GF seeds with fruit and up till now have not had a rash or problem of any kind.

• Posted

I found out about my Hypothyroidism about 7 years ago. 4 years ago I had a food panel done and found out about my gluten allergy along with alot of other food allergies including milk, eggs, soy, garlic, avacados, etc. Within days of stopping gluten all my pains, stiffness and bowl movements greatly improved. Lost 10 pounds of inflamation. The few blisteres I was getting still increased threw the years to now include elbows, knees,backside, scalp and face. The itch is terrible. Still trying to figure out where I'm getting contaminated with gluten. Today I saw a dermatoligist and he took a biopsy. Waiting to hear back but looks like Dermatitis Herpetioformis. Googled Dapsone and side effects have me alittle worried. But sounds like my only option and releaf from the blisters and itching would be a blessing. Does anyone know of a topical that helps?

• Posted

So, it turns our my rash is DH. I took the advice to stop all dairy and my rash is completely gone. So glad I wont need Dapsone.

• Posted

Actually I have a new symptom now. My eyebrows and eyelashes are falling out. The GP did blood tests as she said it was a sign of hypothyroidism and it is common for people with CD to develop thyroid problems which I knew anyway. The blood tests have come back negative so she has now prescribed a mild steroid cream( dactacort) which I wasn't keen on but agreed to give it a go. No improvement so far.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.