Return to office job query.

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi,

I had a LTHR four weeks ago and have been signed off for six weeks.

I have made great progress so far, down to one crutch when out and just limping about indoors.  My concern is that although two weeks is a long way in recovery terms (when  I think back to where I was two weeks ago) I am barely sleeping and sitting for any period of time is very painful. I will have about an hours commute in the car.

My HR department have contacted me to see if I will return at six weeks or if I will go to GP to get more time off or a phased return to work.  My company are great (big US co.) so I am thinking to do a phased return.

Please can you share your return to office life experiences- how did you find the commute, sitting, concentration etc ?  I have a fairly demanding job so don't want to push myself back before my body is ready.

Thanks

Sarah

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I wanna hear what our group says about concentration

I am two weeks or so past THR and processing is stronger daily

Do u get up early now?

Can u handle no nap till u get home??

Keep us posted

• Posted

I doubt I could have returned to a F/T job at 6 weeks. Although I had made simikar progress with mobility, the mental fog was just lifting and concentration was still not 100% as Jo suggested, I needed still needed time to get horizontal and yes - also to rest. Add an hour commute in - and that will be a long day.

It isn't just the mobility but the ability to withstand the unexpected pushe's and pressures of large crowds - esp if by train or tube.

If you can afford it, I would definitely delay and use the time to get closer to 100%.

Best wishes on this,

L

• Posted

I wasn't ready at 6wks so extended the break to 8 but in those extra two weeks I made sure I was up every morning as I would be for work, showered and dressed so it wasn't such a shock going back. I think I did 2 weeks of mornings 8-12, then extended it for two weeks 8-2:30 before returning to 8-4:30. It was tough and the first couple of days I came home and was in bed all afternoon. I too have a desk job just make sure you get up and move around. Good luck

• Posted

Hi Sarah.Im a Nurse Care Manager who does bedside hands on care plus fasciltating groups which can also involve hands on are. Plus do Clinic.It includes going to 2 different facilities 4 of 5 days.Went back at 8 weeks as my op side had a femur fracture at day 19. Because of the fracture having to use a walker at work,it's one of those little walkers that has 4 wheels and a seat.I went back at 8 weeks and it has not been easy.My other hip is bad and hurting.Once you go back there is no protection and the businesses want increased productivity .I swear after 1 week they wanted me to push long tables(on wheels but still tough with a fractured femur and a walker)asked if I would increase my hours and would I teach 2 classes on my Friday.No one was trying to be mean or insensitive,they are just always trying to do more with less.I just had to say no to the classes and the other person realized that pushing all those tables and setting up for the class probably was not a good idea.Don't make yourself vulnerable as you can't undo it if you get hurt.

• Posted

Really good info

Food for thought

I will b returning after one monthTHR

I will try to leave at days end then cone home

No after work activities

Glad for your advice

Co workers see we look fine

But we know healing inside🙋🙋🙋🙋taje care and rest some

Jozie

• Posted

hi sarah, 

good advice .... 

have you had your follow up appointment ? usually around 6 weeks - most of the restrictions are lifted by then, including not driving -

I would request more time off AND phased return - even with phased return at 6 weeks, you still have to add the commute and yes, the  brain fog -

let us know how you are getting on, okay -

very nice of the company to work with you on this ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi I'm glad to here of your progress I'm 2 weeks post and doing really well I'm a carpenter and been told my return to work be around 12 -15 weeks you should have an appointment to see surgeon after 6 weeks I'd wait until you see them before making a decision and see what advice he gives you after he sees xray etc

• Posted

Hi Sarah

I would suggest a phased return would be the best way to go.

At 6 weeks I couldn't sit still for more than an hour at a time and at 8 weeks I still find that I have to stand and stretch and do some exercises after sitting for a couple of hours.  On top of the physical side of things, there is this well known complaint (on this forum at least) of brain fog.  Unfortunately, it is only too real.  I work for myself and have to be really careful about triple checking everything I do as I have found the silliest of errors creeping in.

If your company is sympathetic, then I suggest being upfront about the physical side - i.e. that you will have to get up every couple of hours and move about for a couple of minutes (or whatever your requirements are).  Probably not a good idea to tell them about the brain fog though.

Good luck with your return to work.

• Posted

Everybody is different. I was lucky in respect of working from home with a desk job and I was able to return after less than 6 weeks.

Only you and your consultant really know what is best for you, I would not have been able to think about an hours travel to and from work at that stage.

When you feel up to it you should definitely consider a phased return to work and ensure they know in advance that you will need to get up and move around at fairly frequent intervals initially as you will quickly stiffen up.

Good luck with your return to work and do not do anything until you are ready, try not to let others push you too soon.

• Posted

Hi Sarah. I am at 5 weeks and feeling 80% normal, I have an office job, but can also work from home. I will be asking my doctor for a further 2 weeks off (8 in total), and if I feel up to it will then return to work on 50% hours which should take me to my next consultant appointment. We are all different, listen to your body and then decide.
  • Posted

Thanks for all the replies and support. Until I read your posts I was expecting lots of people to say six weeks is enough for an office based job and that you all did it OK in that timeframe.  So nice to know I am not alone !!!

I will definitely now take the time needed and not feel bad about it X 

• Posted

I went back 12 weeks following my second operation - and then to reduced hours, and just 3 days per week.  I worked up to full time & 5 days after a month.

It was very tiring.

• Posted

I have been off work since november last year ascl was getting both hips replaced with 8 weeks inbetween. I have an office hob and its fairky demanding as its as a bank manager. I have been off for 8 months now and still wont be going back as l have to get both knees replaced.

But in saying that l though 6 weeks was to short to have off after a hip replacement akthough l was driving and nearly back to my normal life my sleep pattern was still way off l would say more like 8 to 12 weeks then do a phased return. Do you know it actually takes 9 months to a year for your body to fully recover. And to me l had trouble sitting for long periods and the though if sitting at my desk fir 7hrs a day after 6 weeks was just not ginna work for me and l had the 2 hios done so it was harder and longer for me to recover. And lo and behold l started getting issues with my knees and after xrays they both need teplaced to so you will be luck if l am ever back at work with the amount of tine l have been off.

I would advise to get anothet line for 2 to 4 weeks let your body get used to living normal with a new hip the do phased return.

Laura

Xx

• Posted

Laura i just read your post and i just hope thru friends and good medical care u have a better situation soon

Sending a good nites sleep your way

Jozie

• Posted

Well I will take a further two weeks (8 in total) followed by a phased return to miss rush hour traffic 10am to 2pm as advised by Physio.  Still not sleeping so she suggested I ask for sleeping tablets to break the habit.  Work are fine with this and I feel much happier smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.