Return to work

Posted , 8 users are following.

i start a phased return to work tomorrow at 13 weeks post op. I feel ready to work but still have concerns over long term heavy aspects of work. Without going into much details I work with children aged 0-18. The job involves quite a bit of manual handling. I have met with OH  and they do not see a reason to alter my duties long term. The  reasoning is that the consultant has not stated long term change in duties other than no high impact. I still worry about the impact of heavy manual handling.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The trouble with OH staff is that they have no understanding whatsoever of prolapse surgery and remember they are working in the best interests of your employer. There is no way long term you should be lifting teenagers, unless they are underweight of course. Young children and babies won't be a problem but you should speak to your GP and ask his advice.
    • Posted

Matron weights at the gym are high impact, so would not anything that is the same weight as the minimum weight at the gym be considered too heavy!

Phyl x☺

• Posted

I'm thinking about heavy adults which 18 year olds are. They could be over 10 stone in weight or more. How much do the weights at the gym weigh phyl? 
    • Posted

I would have thought a lot less, some toddlers can be solid. It's quite Scarry !
    • Posted

It is scary phyl and what concerns me with anyone who works with young adults and older people is that they are expected to just carry on as normal after this surgery and there's no restrictions. As a midwife I can remember me and another 2 midwives having to struggle lifting a 20 stone pregnant lady (so it was more than that because the baby was huge) onto the bed without any thought of the damage we were doing to ourselves or her for that matter! I know things are a bit different now with health and safety but the patient still comes first. I just wish consultants would give definitive guidelines.
    • Posted

I know you worry about your job and lifting. Did you go to work yesterday and was everything ok?
    • Posted

Yes, work was good, on self scan including my break for two and half hours then on till at seat for two and half hours. Ti work a bit heavier as more elderly ladies wanted help packing so felt it a bit heavier when I got home! My boss told me absolutely nor to do anything I think I can't cope with and any problems to give my team leaders a shout or phone her direct. So feel I am getting lots of support. Some of customers a bit confused when I ask them to lift there heavy cases of beers/soft drinks off the belt themselves and some customers definitely notice I'm packing lighter things and avoiding the heavier things.

Anyway about to start next shift thanks for asking, bye, phyl x☺

• Posted

Dumbbells can start at 1kg which is just over 2lbs! I'm not sure what I used at gym , I mainly done the cardiovascular training (treadmill, cross trainer, wave machine and cycles) and only used a few machines in the weightsame section (resistance stuff) .

Was going mainly for cardiovascular training and swimming.

• Posted

That's ok phyl and your swimming will be doing you so much good.
    • Posted

Not allowed any high impact ever, instructions from physio, so will have to be content with hill walking (can be done on treadmill), swimming and limited cycling.

Not managed swimming over last 2 weeks.

Spent a week building up my walking time and was too shattered last week. Will try and get back to swimming midweek this week.

Came home yesterday and today and was nodding off on sofa, on the till for my whole shift today (12-5pm) didn't get my break till 3 pm. By 4pm was getting really sore and uncomfortable so spent last hour on my feet. The new chairs we got at Xmas are nearly all broken either the seats dint move up and down or the backs are broken and therefore have no real support!

Anyhow survived my 2 shifts this week and that's it till next Sunday! None the worse for wear, a bit nippy with overstretching so will have to be careful. Lower back and lower front a bit sore but think it's mainly muscular with using muscles not being used for a few months.

Hope your enjoying lovely weather!

Phyl x☺☺☺

• Posted

Thank you Matron. I will ask the consultant when 

I see her for my post op next wek although she was happy for me to go back to my day job.  

• Posted

Hi Ptjinks

I'm 11 weeks recovery and going back to work at 14. Weeks. I think I might do the same type of work as you. The people I work with are in the age bracket of 2yrs-19 with complex issues my job is very physical and demanding not to mention stressful too.

when I go back its 3 weeks before I see consultant. But will have to have a risk assessment. I can only do what I am able and will have to rely on my team for help. Which is not ideal but it will only be for 5 weeks then we break for summer. Not sure I'm going to cope and not sure I can do it, so I know exactly how you feel. It's a big worry. Lots of love. Mik x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.