return to work/steps and setting

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi all, I have been following this forum since my TKR replacement on Jan. 9th and have found it to be extremely helpful.  Thank you all.  My question is there a typical time frame for returning to work?  From all the discussions I have seen I don't see how there can be.  Next week will be 7 weeks and I am afraid my doctor will release me back to work.  I have ment my goals for bending and straighting but still find it very hard standing and doing steps.  Also I tire very easyly and have no stamina and don't really think I am ready.  When do most TKR's return to work?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hey Christine, I had TKR on Jan 9th also. My bend is 115, straightening 5. Worst part is lack of sleep because of discomfort. PT is helping. My doctor says I will be out till Apr 3rd. He wants to make sure I can sit for hours with no problems. (I'm an airline pilot). That's what we do best! LOL

• Posted

I am 9 weeks post op. It was my right knee so I just started driving last week. I am mostly pain free, except for tightness and kneecap sensitivity. However, a short trip to the grocery store and I am exhausted. I would definitely tell your doctor that you are definitely not ready to return to work. There is more to recovery than the bend/straight issue.
  • Posted

Hi I had my TKR on 6th January, and although I am retired I would not be in a position to work, so don't be hustled i to work.  I am also very tired a lot of the time and still in a lot of pain.  The physio told me yesterday your whole body not just your leg has been hit with a massive trauma and will take time and patience no two people are the same.  I walk, use,the exercise bike and can drive as Imhave an automatic car.  I could not contemplate a full day's work or school cen going out for a full day.  Go slowly you are only human.

• Posted

Hi Christine, going back to work is a variable answer depending on how you feel and what you do, sit, standing, stress, etc. I wish I stayed out longer only because I got laid off after I returned. My job is mosting computer work. At 8 weeks, I was just starting to get 4 hours of sleep. At 10 weeks I went back to work and wish I could have had 2 more weeks. If you need to stay out longer make sure to articulate the reasona to your doctor. Good luck.
  • Posted

Three months is early; six to nine months seems to be what people do...considering...

- recovery stage (ROM and off meds plus rebuilding of strength in legs)

- other medical conditions

- MD clearance

- job (sedentary or working construction)

- spouse or partner demanding you get the hell out of the house...finally!!!

Lots of factors.  Admin or programmer sitting at a desk is waaaaay different from a nurse "running the halls".  Very individual.  Make sure your strength is where it needs to be.  Lots of people who go back too early report extreme fatigue and knee swelling.  Think carefully...

• Posted

Hi Christine , I to had my operation on the 9th January but it's 6 weeks tomorrow . The hospital gave me a 12 week sick note so I would not think you should be returning to work yet . I couldn't go back yet as I am still on crutches and in pain . 

• Posted

Hi Christine,

Everyone is different and guess it depends on needs must but get your Occupational Health involved as may need phased return if possible.

I was advised 6 weeks if non physical job or 3 months if physical. However it will depend on individual progress and to expect heat and swelling post the for 12 months.

I am just over 9 weeks and my surgeon signed me off up until 14 weeks post op 2 weeks ago as physical job and RA.

Guess I'm saying no set rule depends on you and what your Doctor advises.

All the best Jan

• Posted

Hi Cristine,

I had my pkr last Dec 9 2016, I was doing great by my 4 weeks im driving and 120 bend. So I asked my Doctor to release me early. (Im suppose to be out until March per my doctor's note)

Having thought Im doing very well I asked my doctor to release me and went back to work 6 weeks after the surgery. I regreted it.

I start having back pain and butt pain and my knee swoll. This is when I found this group. I went back to my doctor and told me to stay another month at home.

Please do not rush listen to your body. I realized my mind might be ready but not body.

I learned a lot from this group. So now I take it easy and my employer allow me to work from home in my own phase. I go to the gym everyday doing bike and exercise in the water helps me a lot.

Goodluck.

• Posted

Hi

You can read in the forum it varies a lot, I returned at 12 weeks . I fly and travel a lot for work. Even at 12 weeks my knee was burning , I travelled with my ice bucket and knee wrap for another 4 weeks.

Good healing

• Posted

It truly depends on what kind of activity level your job requires and whether you are able to perform that. That's not to say that sitting all day necessarily allows folks to go back sooner, because sitting all day is hard on the knee too. I think starting to think about work at 12 weeks seems reasonable.Perhaps at that time you could negotiate with your employer to start back with shorter days and gradually work up to your full shift. I am a nurse and went back at about 14 weeks, with shorter shifts to begin with. I gradually worked up to 12 hour shifts, adding a couple hours every 2 weeks or so. It worked really well for me. Even at 6 months post-op those 12 hour shifts are still sometimes exhausting for my new knee, but all in all it feels good to be back to work. Do what works best for you - your TKR is a big investment and it would be a shame to push it too far to fast and go backwards with your recovery. Good luck!  smile

• Posted

Thanks everyone for the info, it really helps.  It makes me feel and realize I am not being a baby about all of this. 

• Posted

Hi Christine,

I had my left top on Jan 21st and am still in pain most of the time. I am hoping to return to work mid March if possible. I am self employed and can't afford to be off much longer. Sheila

• Posted

Don't go too soon. It's a fine line really, I went back part time at eleven weeks - I was tired but it's helped me feel 'back to normal'.  Take care of yourself. 

• Posted

Hi Christine,

I have had both TKR in 14 months, the latest on 2nd December. So I am now 12weeks. The worst thing about TKR is the lack of enegy on occasions. It really depends on your kind of work, you should really ask your employer to allow you to gradually get back in to the swing of things and depending how you feel gradually increase your hours. The minimum time off is about 3 months, remembering you have had a major operation and your body needs time to get back to normal. Standing can be painful so try to move about or sit down if possible. Each of us is different, but it takes time how ever fit we maybe. I am 70 and reasonably fit but I still have energy level problems. I hope you don't have to go back until you feel you can.

Blee47

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.