Returning to work

Posted , 15 users are following.

I am 6weeks post op and was wondering how long people stay off work for, I am a teaching assistant with 5year olds so on my feet all day either in classroom or playground or dinner hall. My teacher said she thought i would be back by 6 weeks but I have not had my review appt yet so told her it would be another couple of weeks at least. I know physically I could not stand all day, my leg still gets stiff uncomfortable as day goes on and i am still really tired due to not sleeping well. Know everyone recovers at different rates but just looking any other opinions/ advice. Thank you xsmile

1 like, 82 replies

82 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sue

You have bigger problems, 5 year olds are not famous for being able to restrain themself just remember what you have to lose if you get knocked down or ran into, I'm just saying tell your boss you can come back when you feel stronger but explain to her that you will have limitations. If you are 6 weeks you still have another few weeks of messed up sleep. Ask if you can use an OTC sleep aid (no pain med added). Get a heating pad for stiffness I love mine. Ice for swelling heat for stiffness. Most important DON'T let anyone push you, listen to your body. smile

• Posted

Thanks Tana, I'm still using ice as it swells up during day. The class is always on the go, very active and am very wary of getting knocked into. It takes me a while to get going in morning. I see my consultant next week so will ask him. Will get sleeping aid as I'm just so tired, Thank you x
  • Posted

Thats a very hard question ! Im 49 and am 11 wks post op i was hoping to go back at 13 wks in another 2 wks but my physio said i would be mad to! Iv been walking for a couple of wks unaided and thinking i was doing well. Hadnt been for physio for 3 wks and when i went he said i was walking stiff legged and needed to walk for nxt 2 wks with my crutch to get my walking technique right. So i had hindered my walking! I was gutted as obviously i cant go back to work until im walking correctly. So im doing all my exercises religiously and walking for 20/30 mins a day with crutch. Im walkin better. Most people have said to me the turning point is 12 wks it does seem to be for most tkr.

For your boss to say 6 wks is daft you have 6 wks off with a broken bone! This is so much more than that! We have got to heal correctly to make this succesful. It is a major op and needs time. Keep doing all you can and take your time. Your gp will be supportive and the physios wil advise you. Keep us posted !

• Posted

Debbie

Good advice I had both my knees done the end of Jan. And thought I would be back to work in 6 weeks. That's because my surgeon said I would dislike him for 6 weeks . Well I'm 3 months into it and I'm still not back to work. (I wait tables) my doctor has released me but my boss says he not comfortable having me run around the restaurant. So I will return Mothers Day in a reduced capacity which is fine with me. Something that helped me was when my surgeon told me don't rush, the operation you had is like open heart surgery So ask your boss if she had open heart surgery would she be back in 6 weeks? I don't think so

• Posted

Sounds like your boss is really into your wellbeing. That is so rare. Hope you recover soon
    • Posted

Have you tried walking with a cane, you still get the right support, but you are putting more weight on your leg and therefore can gauge the quality of  the way you walk /stride better. With a crutch you tend to be a little one-sided, as you are pushing down more as you walk and are inhibited by not being able to take longer heel/toe strides (well you can, but it does look funny)
    • Posted

Thank you Debbie, I know my walking is not right, I don't use crutch in house but do take it with me when out and definately use when out walking. My physio keeps telling me to change how i walk which i feel i am doing but she keeps saying it is wrong. I agree i need to get this to heal properly and be a sucess, we are stil young and long walks with my dog are my main focus at the moment, i go on my own at the moment and she sits sadly watching me go. I am doing all my physio, 20 min walk and 20 mins on static bike daily. I know i am getting stronger but it's ok doing this at home when i can sit and ice after but would love to see children/ teacher if i sat and iced leg after playtime!! ha ha. Thank you and i wil keep you posted. x
  • Posted

A the very least you should be off work for 6 weeks, that is standard healing time for broken bones.  You have had much more done.  If you feel up to it mentally and can guarantee that you will be sitting down for a good percentage of the time, then by all means go back, get the little horrors on your side by saying you have a new magical knee and you need to test it out.  Get them on your side and your day may become easy to cope with. The trick is to rest as much as you can and be in a position to raise your leg every now and then. No point sitting on the floor as you just have to get up again (from a childs point of view that will be hilarious). Use 2 chairs, one to sit on and one to rest your leg, their chairs are just the right height for you to rest on.

You will be absolutely shattered by the end of the day, so make sure you are taking your pain meds on a regular basis and meds to make you sleep (I say make as opposed to help, as you really do need to sleep if you have any chance of getting up in the morning and face the world of 5 year olds).

It is do-able but there has to be a lot of contingencies in place. Don't feel bullied by your colleagues or headmistress/master, unless they have gone through a knee replacement, they have no right to judge your ability to go to work or take (longer) time off. You will heal to your own drum beat. But stay positive and you will achieve anything.

Good luck with the monsters, at that age they do have a lot of empathy, so tap into it and use them to your advantage.

• Posted

Thanks Sueisobel, i laughed when i read sitting on floor and getting up...you wanted to have seen me doing that before my operation..ha ha it was so funny!! I know i wouldn't be sitting, that's what i am worried about, once i'm back - i'm back, and i don't know if i could get away with sitting with my leg up. I will have to really think about going back and the plans for my leg. The kids are good and were before i went off, i could ask them to help me, some of them were so kind, if i got up they got my stick to save me lifting it, would go get things for me. I will see if i can go bck part time as i dont think i could cope with 8 and 1/2 hours. Thank you x
  • Posted

You don't go back to work on the dictates of a boss who is a teacher.  That is totally ridiculous.  One little kid running in to you or even running up to give you a hug could put you off balance and you could fall.  That could be very serious.  I'm sure your doc will back you up on this.
    • Posted

I had PKR last Oct and had 12 weeks off from admin job for NHS, desk work and went back part time for the first couple of weeks. Felt really tired and sore in the beginning. Now 2 1/2 weeks post op for other knee TKR, think it might take longer for me to recover from this op. Take your time, don't rush it.
    • Posted

Thank you Cass, i know, even out in busy playground as i'm smaller than some of our eleven year olds could get knocked into easily. Going seriously talk to them about my return.x
    • Posted

Thank you Tracy, i was thinking more 12 weeks or so as i am on feet 90% of day, I know i will need other knee done in next 18 months or so so let me know how long your recovery takes this time. x
    • Posted

Saw my doc this aft and mentioned you!  How about saying sweetly to this teacher that 6 weeks or so is healing from a broken bone. I did not break my leg, I had it sawed through in two places. Then a new metal knee was put in place. It is held fast in place by two long metal rods that were hammered into the old bone structure.  This takes time to heal, with a lot of pain. Which is why my doc suggests another 6 (or whatever) weeks recovery to be safe.  Smile sadly.  I will be back just as soon as I  can, as you know I will miss the children (sigh). 😥🙄
    • Posted

Can you come with me Cass..ha ha, you really cheered me up with that post, thank you. I saw my physio today who was really happy with everything today, but when I mentioned work she said not till at least 12-14 weeks and only phased at that stage. I am going in next Monday to dscuss return (and will tell them all I am missing them (NOT) and cant wait to get back) Thank you x
    • Posted

How about saying...besides all this, I am getting all these supportive email messages from the Patient website, where people are encouraged to get through this very tough time.  I have to answer all their emails too.  You would be surprised at what they are telling me....🤔  Ha ha!
    • Posted

Oh Cass you made my day, i am so tired today....sleep was not good last night. everyone on here is so suportive and helpful and encouraging, i am so glad i discovered this site. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.