Revision knee replacement

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, it's me again I am 4 weeks post op today and have so much pain in my calve I spoke to my nurse today who told me I shouldn't be in pain in my calve still and to go to hospital which I did I have now been given the injections in the tummy again and have to go back Wednesday morning for a scan to rule out DVT I am scared! Does anyone else have pain in the calve at 4 weeks ?

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes and had scan for dvt all clear said it was from damage to small structures absolutely fine now. Keep elevated and do lots of calf stretches. Try heat pad
  • Posted

yes, that is part of my problems. I am 4 mths out and my ankle is so swollen along with rest of my leg. I can't bend it, can't get ROM pass 90. Checked for DVT, nothing. I ice it 4-5 times a day, still is swollen. I go again this week to see what Dr wants to do next. My PT has been put on hold until the swelling is under control.

• Posted

That doesn't sound good I hope they can help you and sort the pain out for you. Let us know how you get on. Take care
  • Posted

If they think you have a DVT they should scan you there and then not have you go back, it's really dangerous if a clot moves from the calf.
  • Posted

Hi Dianne,sorry to hear of your pain. Did the docs do any blood tests? DVT can produce markers for the condition in your blood. The injections you have been given will reduce the risk of a possible clot moving up to the rest of your body. Calf pain appears to be quite common in the weeks and months after TKR. Before I had my op I had a Bakers Cyst and,boy was it painful! I was treated,like you,with the injections until a scan appt.was free so do try to relax a bit and let the docs do their job.

May I ask why you had your revision?

• Posted

Thank you It's good to hear this could be normal. I just can't wait to have the scan in the morning as I have had horrible thoughts. I had the revision as my first knee replacement was never right and always painful they suspected it loosing and the spacer had worn out. When they did the revision they said I had holes in my bones and stuff in them and that had to be cut away and they put in rods as my bone was very soft.
  • Posted

hi diane good idea to get it checked out hopefully it is nothong serious . am i right that you got rods in as well as knee for your revision ?? i have had revision amost 12mths ago  i have pain in my calf it feels like a cramp and it lasts days ,i didnt get this at your stage only the last few weeks mine is fine when i rest and when in bed it never bothers me but the minuite i put one foot in front of the other its unbearable  ive taken on board the advice the others gave me and have upt the water alot and drinking tonic water im spending alot of time in the loo!!!! and stretching the leg much more let us know how it works out il be thinking of you
    • Posted

Hi Linda,

yes i I have rods in my leg. I'm sorry to hear you have pain still, yes like you the pain in my calf becomes worse when I walk but also I don't sleep at night I get about 2 hours then I am woken with this pain in my calve.

it is a nightmare I just don't want to go to bed as I know I won't sleep.

• Posted

i think maybe it might have something to do with the extra metal not sure because i never had that with the others tkr  sleep is still a problem  im afraid im also putting that down to my age and menopause even though im on hrt which i also need to give up but not till im more my self   keep us posted on hospital visit hope its only something small
    • Posted

Been to hospital the scan came back clear and doctors advised me to contact my surgeon and see him as I don't have an appointment till end September. So it could be a long wait to find out what's causing this pain. I feel quite let down by my after care.
    • Posted

hi diane yes after care is pretty non existant when you need it .its very disheartening to say the least i must say my calf settled down alot i think maybe over the next few days do some of the excersises i do to stretch and strenghten the calfs to strenghten them i stand behind a chair with hands on back of chair without leaning on the chair just for support rise up and down on your toea raising your heels and back down do them slowly as OFG says consentrate i do 20 and rest and then repeat the 20 again 3-5 times work it up slowly if its difficult and count slowly !!! after them the calfs hurt abit i stretch them i use a balance board as i have one but a step of a stair would do  ,i put the balance board on the carpet (as if i use it on a floor it could slip)i keep my heels on the floor and put my feet on the board  have a chair or something to hold on to if needed and lean forward to stretch the calfs the more forward you lean the more stretch you get i hold for a count of 30 (dont count fast ) and relax walk around abit and go back and do it 2 more times it really has made a difference and this is good too if straightening is a problem with you diane you may not be able to do as much of this as you are only 4wks so build it up slowly its quality not quantity  so really do them slowly and properly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.