Rheumatoid knee symptoms

Posted , 5 users are following.

Looking for some information on RA in the knee .

Can someone tell me what it feels like . In the space of a few months I've gone from competitive running to barely any knee lift on one knee. The tightness is preventing me from lifting my leg running as I should it just feels like swelling at the back of the knee and tightness.

My last blood tests showed the inflammation down to 16 from the initial 32 it was at when I was first diagnosed.

I've been on 15mg Mtx for 2 months now . Initially I was on

Prednisolone. I was hoping that the knee would improve but it doesn't seem to be any better . I've virtually resigned myself that running will now become a thing of the past . It's very frustrating as outside of this knee I'm doing fine .

I'll soon have to come of the MTX as we hope to have a baby but unsure what the future med will be.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Delta, I was diagnosed in April/2016. It took 3 FULL months for Methotrexate to kick in. That worked for a few months then in August, Plaquinel was added. Has worked for the most part. When I do have a flare-up it starts in my right knee. It feels like someone beat my knee with a baseball bat. It aches to the very core..to my bone. I'm not very active anymore as the medications have made me extremely tired. I still do my daily chores & keep myself moving. I am hoping for complete remission, we shall see. I hope the methotrexate kicks in for you. You seem to be very active & that definitely helps. I've heard diet will help especially lots of Omega, fish, fruit & veggies. Keep active when you can & good luck to you.

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear about your knee. I was diagnosed a couple of months ago, I was really struggling to walk at first due to knee, ankle and hip pain.

My wrists were the worst so my Rheumatologist injected them to get on top of things, I've also had a couple of intramuscular injections as well and the general effect helped my knees etc. Before this I had to walk down stairs sideways as my knees would hardly bend.

Was just wondering if your Doc has mentioned any injections for you or checked for fluid collection lately?

It's hard to take when you are used to being so active, but just give yourself time.

• Posted

I have no other pain in my body bar the back of my knee . I feel fine other than this but unfortunately I've gone from athletic and a regular parkrun sat morning runner to running with discomfort at 8pm in the evening at best

Morning are a nightmare and I'm very stiff .

The steroids made a big difference but I seem to have gone back a stage in the last week

Is 15mg MTX once a week a low dose ? Should I request MRI or X-ray or a higher dose .

I'm back the with doctor at the end of February

I wish I had this in a smaller joint and not something that has put 20 years in me overnight !

• Posted

I hate to say this (I haven't been able to run for about 3 months now and I get how frustrating it is) but maybe you aren't doing yourself any favours by continuing to run on the knee if you have pain.

Maybe you need to let it settle down a bit and give your MTX time to work. Could you even do walking, swimming or static bike etc for a while, something non impact and see if it helps?

I've told myself it's better to hold off and let my joints settle than cause myself worse problems which might mean I'll never run again.

I'm moving on to 15mg this week, my Doc told me the max is 25mg.

• Posted

Yea I hear you regarding giving it a rest . I'll get out on the bike for a few spins now . It's just disappointing as I was getting back into shape and I thought I was sensible about my return to training up to this point

I'm not sure what it is but I just have very little knee lift with this knee. I was hoping it would get a bit better but it just seems to be bad the last week with pain returning and this tightness .

I have a feeling that the knee will never get any better and this is it !

• Posted

Don't give up. Before I was diagnosed the pain started in my right knee. The left had been replaced in 2005 (I was a walker, at least 5 miles a day). I thought I was headed for another replacement. Pain was OFF the wall. Then "boom" diagnosed with RA. Finally after the meds kicked in(took 4 months) I was virtually pain free. I still get flares occasionally but once you get this under control you WILL feel better. Sometimes you have to play around with the meds. I'm sure your Rheumatologist will figure this out. Don't give up. My best to you.

• Posted

Don't lose heart, it will improve, you are doing well even attempting to run!

You should definitely mention this to your Doc/Rheum Physio though, just in case you have a fluid collection or something that they could help.

• Posted

Unfortunately I've been a bit down the last week as I feel I have gone back a stage .

I'm 2 weeks off prednisolone although I was on a taper and on only one tablet the last two weeks

Maybe I was expecting too much from the MTX and it's too early about 9 weeks on it ?

Interesting regarding fluid build up . It just feels like I'm scraping the ground if I try to run as the leg isn't raising enough

• Posted

Oh and about the knee lift, apparently your muscles give way when your knee is inflamed, it happened to me too.
    • Posted

In fact I had to get special equipment to sit onto the toilet (I was a very active 39 yo runner and surfer before RA last Feb), because my muscles couldn't do the knee bend without collapsing.  My husband and kids were horrified actually.

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear you have been down. It's a totally natural reaction to what has happened to you, I think it's even more of a shock when you are used to being so active.

My Doc told me you don't normally expect results until around 8 weeks from the MTX but can be longer. I think I'm about week 5.

Try and look at it in the grand scheme of your life, it's worth it to get this sorted out properly so that you don't cause the knee long term damage and you can run again once things are more under control.

I hope things start to improve for you soon.

• Posted

Hello, I do feel for you! I was a runner and started RA with both knees, suddenly.  I even went to  physio who did not pick up the RA possibility sadly.  But I got there in the end, started methotrexate which took 5 months to work.  After 5 months and still on prednisone I began to run again, which was after 9 months of no running with RA.  It is really important not to run on your swollen knee as my rheumatologist told me if you run while it's inflamed you will create microinjuries which can turn into conventional arthritis later in life.  I found a wonderful Facebook group for runners with RA, you could take a look? It wasn't til I found that group that I knew for sure I would run again as until then noone would give me a straight answer about the possibility.  I suggest swimming if you can (I couldn't even turn my head or use my shoulders/wrists at my worst so I couln't) or aqua jogging if you can't.  I am only 40 and felt a bit silly doing it but it is the only way I could get my heart rate up at my worst.  Good luck runner!

• Posted

Thanks for the replays advice and help folks !!!

I presume running sped up the knee damage .

When I first got this I was treated for a meniscus tear which essentially delayed my treatment 10 weeks until I had my bloods done . The 2nd sports doctor felt a meniscus tear should not have the swollen knee and fluid I had .

What I did notice was my heart rate was up from a resting 40ish to about 70 depending on the morning . I also had a mild temperature .

I do feel I had the start of this condition or a similar immune condition nearly ten years ago but the cartilage damage was only this year

Cycling has been a godsend but I'll continue to run as best I can when I feel I'm ok to do

For the last 4 weeks I've averaged 30miles running per week . But yea it's not the same and it has been a struggle

I really hope the MTX will kick on but I do worry about the damage did be already

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.