Rib/back/side

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I have no idea if I am writing in the correct group here, but it seems for a few weeks I have had a pain in my right side, about half way up, below the bust, which has got worse (I have been coughing a lot due to illness but I am not sure if this is related. It hurts when I do certain movements or burp. It isn't constant but when it's there it is a sharp nasty pain. It seems to have moved too - before it was in my back and now its moved just to the front. Anyone able to help please?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry to read that. It sounds like you have pulled some muscles. Take a while to go. Have you got any gel to rub on, gently! Heat pad then cold compress may help

• Posted

It does sound like it is from your illness.

You are pulling the muscles with each cough....put some ice in the area a couple of times a day...muscles get aggrivated and inflammed.  Ice eases the pain and internal swelling.

• Posted

Hi Jane; there are few things that come to mind..........have you had a cold/flu recently, and if so, do you feel as if you are getting slightly elevated temperatures and what colour is the phlegm that you are coughing up???...if no cold/flu, does this pain come on about half to one hour arfter eating a meal (especially something meaty/fatty)??   If either of these are an issue, I feel that you should speak to your GP/Primary carer as soon as you can get an appointment   ....(the two things that come to mind are ?infection of lungs/pleural cavity;   or if after meals, then ? Gall-Bladder).......an x-ray will check your lungs and a scan will check your gall-bladder............so if you feel that these may be in line with your pain, then it is best to see GP.....if not, and fits more into a pulled/strained muscle, then the suggestions already made should/could help........good luck...........Bron
  • Posted

That sounds like the type of pain I had when I had costochondritis. It is inflammation in the cartilage that joins your ribs to your breast bone. It got significantly worse for me when laying down. Though the pain was very severe (bad enough for me to think I was having a heart attack initially), so it may be unlikely if the pain isn't really quite bad.

It could also be a slight strain/ pull to any of the muscles surrounding your ribs from coughing so much.

I would treat yourself to a nice warm bath, and take paracetamol/ co-codamol and ibuprofen for the pain (providing it is safe for you to do so). Personally rather than taking them all at once I take the paracetamol/ co-codamol, then 2/3 hours later the ibuprofen, then back to paracetamol/ co-codamol so you get ongoing pain relief.

Heat sprays and pads or hot water bottles may also help. You can also use a pain relief gel but read the packet carefully, a lot of these gels are ibuprofen based so be careful not to overdose on ibuprofen if you are using the gel too.

If it doesn't improve in a few days then see your doctor, who may be able to provide better pain relief.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.